Opinion The Definitive Foley vs Valente Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

So am I getting this right? Foley is clearly the better player, although champion data had Valente as the 10th best player in the draft (not bad for a plodder), and someone like Twomey didnt have Foley being picked in the top 30, but he had Valente at 21?

Lol champion data also thinks Gaff is the 9th best wingman in the comp they have these crabs ranked higher. Hall, Sinclair, Drummond, Lloyd. Soon as u use champion data to back up your argument u already start to lose

So am I getting this right? Foley is clearly the better player, although champion data had Valente as the 10th best player in the draft (not bad for a plodder), and someone like Twomey didnt have Foley being picked in the top 30, but he had Valente at 21?
It if u do like to use champion data as a reference enjoy the bottom 2 next year because only Gold Coast have a list in worse shape

Yes that's why he left..So you could snag hogan. How considerate of him

Nothing to do with Freo's putrid culture and woeful captain and coach
Woeful captain??? There captain is about the only good thing going for them (n Hogan now). I hate freo more then anyone but I love watching guns dominate footy n Fyfe is not only a gun if he played for us he would be west coast best player hands down

Yea our putrid culture can't believe we lost so many players this trade period!!! Losing Hill to Brisbane and Cerra to a victorian team was so devastating.... not like we attracted 4 players whilst losing one to big money
Niel didn’t leave in his first or second year I doubt Ceres would either. Hill was to busy living up to the dockers culture n getting arrested to even think about going to Brisbane

Based on your decline post making the grand final, I know last year you ranked highest for games into first yearers but that was based mostly on Brayshaw and Cerra (high picks) who are very talented already. Post the GF it doesn't look like many young guys have really come through, you might name a few but for the most part they haven't. Not to say they won't, they just haven't yet.

I live in Saints heartland and they hate Ross, as he didn't develop any youth whilst there. Seems like only now that he's trying to.
I actually believe that fremantles side once mature will be awesome. Our proven youth under 24 includes one of the best spines.
Best young ruckman in the league in darcy named in under 22 all Australian side.
The best young key position forward in Hogan.
Behind harris Andrews the best key position back in Alex pearce
Logue and cox play both ends of the ground but are also young talented key position players and a Shannon hurn in luke ryan.

A young midfield cerra, brayshaw, banfield, blakely, Langdon and now valente and sturt.

Basically im very positive about the future.
But im pretty worried about fyfe, walters, steven hill growing to old.

I actually believe that fremantles side once mature will be awesome. Our proven youth under 24 includes one of the best spines.
Best young ruckman in the league in darcy named in under 22 all Australian side.
Logue and cox play both ends of the ground but are also young talented key position players and a Shannon hurn in luke ryan.

A young midfield cerra, brayshaw, banfield, blakely, Langdon and now valente and sturt.

Wat?
https://goo.gl/images/Dz6uRq

Yeah nah most would take lever and then Barrass over pearce any day.

We don't care...stay down kents.

Lol

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

2016 - 16th (4 wins)
2017 - 14th (8 wins)
2018 - 14th (8 wins)

That’s picks 3,21*,39 & 5,23,41 & 5,23,41 over a three year period before trades and compo picks.

You also received a 2nd round FA compo pick thanks to the generosity of Collingwood giving Mayne a long term contract on good money. Gold Coast joined in the gift giving handing over pick 2 overall in the 2017 draft for Weller. Brisbane joined in this year giving you pick 6 and change for Neale which was admittedly fair value

Over the course of 3 years that’s a lot of trade and draft capital at your disposal to regenerate a list that won a minor premiership in 2015 albeit only 12 players remain on your list from them

You should have a fair bit to look forward to with the talent that 3 years of poor performance can bring to a club

No doubt you've got great young talent. Just needs to be further developed and recognised!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How about Knightmare then? Had Valente at 22, and Foley at 34.. I’m not saying they are right, it’s just interesting how you all know better than the blokes who do this for a living. Peter Bell said we couldn’t push the button quick enough when Valente was still on the board. Going to be fascinating to watch. We have a good record with later picks. Not at all with early ones.

Who knows better? Twomey and Knightmare aren’t recruiters, they’re pundits.

West Coast had Foley ahead of Valante and
we can’t know if they’re the only club to have done so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

West Coast rated Fyfe. Fremantle didn’t draft him as a midfielder either, he was a scrawny flanked with flare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fremantle were gonna take him at pick 5 instead of moribato but decided to take him at pick 20 because they knew he was gonna slip to 20

reading a bit into the two, i can see why we went Foley over valente. Not taking anything away from Valente but we have a couple inside mids on the fringe (that could potentially include Sheed as well). Simmo values versatility Foley unlike Valente seems to be able to play a few more roles for us.

Plus Masten is 30 next season and we are kind of in need of a couple strong runner that coule take the opposite wing or cover for Gaff/Masten.

Some posters getting serious in here when its an obvious tongue in cheek thread in the spirit of the pepper powell / Venables thread .
As time went on we learnt of the personality of powell pepper and we came to understand why we didnt pick him .One poster said his son went to school with Powell Pepper and said westcoast wouldnt want his personality at our club .
We may get snippets from posters I call gems that may well explain why we picked or didnt pick certain draftees.

fremantle were gonna take him at pick 5 instead of moribato but decided to take him at pick 20 because they knew he was gonna slip to 20
Haha where have you pulled this from? All reports wee Harvey didn't want him at all and wanted to pick Bastinac, but was overruled. No way was he ever going to be picked ahead of Morabito.

Pity about the coach

Woeful captain??? There captain is about the only good thing going for them (n Hogan now). I hate freo more then anyone but I love watching guns dominate footy n Fyfe is not only a gun if he played for us he would be west coast best player hands down

Do you understand the difference between captain and player

Absolute woeful captain !

Year after year without fail
Endless endless freo talk

You dipshits just never learn

Whoa...

I usually ignore this kind of stuff but this is beyond even trolling.

If you were describing Brisbane I would tend to agree with you; however you said Fremantle for reasons that are fairly absurd.

Hamling is by far your best key defender yet you don't even mention him. A.Pearce by my own rankings is 70th in the league among tall defenders and you are placing him above J.McGovern.

Your club has sold it's future to load up on forwards whilst gutting the midfield and neglecting a poor backline.

The list has a gaping hole in the 21-22 year age bracket. Even if the young talent in your squad develops as hoped, it is likely (especially being a WA club where travel fatigue prematurely curtails careers) that anyone aged 26 or above on your list in 2019 will have retired before the new generation peak.

That would include:
  • Fyfe
  • Mundy
  • S.Hill
  • B.Hill
  • Walters
  • Colyer
  • Matera
  • Conca
  • Bennell
  • Wilson
  • Lobb
  • Hamling
  • Kersten
  • Taberner
The recruitment policy is inherently bipolar - trying to top up whilst conducting a complete rebuild.

If you exclude those who are 28 or older next season, the Fremantle midfield is comparable to Gold Coast's - with a much lower ceiling.

Lyon is now doing what Lyon does - he's selling your future to keep his job. It will get ugly; and that will pale in comparison to how ugly things will get after he leaves and you discover that your list has been completely hollowed out and you need another decade-long rebuild to repair the damage. Just ask the Saints.

p16972re0pi01.gif

Whoa...

I usually ignore this kind of stuff but this is beyond even trolling.

If you were describing Brisbane I would tend to agree with you; however you said Fremantle for reasons that are fairly absurd.

Hamling is by far your best key defender yet you don't even mention him. A.Pearce by my own rankings is 70th in the league among tall defenders and you are placing him above J.McGovern.

Your club has sold it's future to load up on forwards whilst gutting the midfield and neglecting a poor backline.

The list has a gaping hole in the 21-22 year age bracket. Even if the young talent in your squad develops as hoped, it is likely (especially being a WA club where travel fatigue prematurely curtails careers) that anyone aged 26 or above on your list in 2019 will have retired before the new generation peak.

That would include:
  • Fyfe
  • Mundy
  • S.Hill
  • B.Hill
  • Walters
  • Colyer
  • Matera
  • Conca
  • Bennell
  • Wilson
  • Lobb
  • Hamling
  • Kersten
  • Taberner
The recruitment policy is inherently bipolar - trying to top up whilst conducting a complete rebuild.

If you exclude those who are 28 or older next season, the Fremantle midfield is comparable to Gold Coast's - with a much lower ceiling.

Lyon is now doing what Lyon does - he's selling your future to keep his job. It will get ugly; and that will pale in comparison to how ugly things will get after he leaves and you discover that your list has been completely hollowed out and you need another decade-long rebuild to repair the damage. Just ask the Saints.
I think you're being pretty harsh.yes they banged on about rebuilds but then had the opportunity to get 2 highly rated talls whilst still taking a 1st round draft pick
I must also rate their backline much higher than you do.peirce,hamling,logue,wilson,s.hill when he's back there and others i cant remember.
Brayshaw and cerra are already playing well in the seniors and compliment fyfe,b hill.valente and sturt shouldnt need too much time to adapt
Lyon will be the biggest thing holding them back

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back