Training Apples' Training Threads 2018/19

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to step straight into the seniors by the early indications. Could add some excitement to our backline in 2019.

Normally I'd be much more conservative about easing kids in and letting them earn their stripes via the VFL, but Stephenson turned that concept on its ear.

Stevo is genuinely elite which worked in his favour, but while IQ is not at that level of talent by any means, he's physically ready to go before even doing a preseason. Looks mentally very mature also. Super impressive so far in terms of attitude (based on our limited access obviously). So it's really only his gamecraft as a defender that needs to be proven to be up to senior standard. He will get opportunities at JLT etc. to show his wares.

Definitely going to play some senior footy this season.

Last edited:

I was praying you’d see this thread of conversation :D

They said Clydesdales cant race. I told them he aint heavy, hes my brother.

Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't you suggesting they deliberately ran worse times than they were capable of just so they could show better improvements later in the preseason

I’m not sure what’s funnier. BJ’s suggestion or the amount of chatter a time trial has generated :huh:

The only observation I can make so far is that Elliott is seriously lacking conditioning. He looks like he’s been in the same paddock as Wells and nursing him through to build him up frightens me!

I’m not sure what’s funnier. BJ’s suggestion or the amount of chatter a time trial has generated :huh:

The only observation I can make so far is that Elliott is seriously lacking conditioning. He looks like he’s been in the same paddock as Wells and nursing him through to build him up frightens me!
I dont understand why people are so harsh on players this time of year. Honestly who cares if player A comes back in good shape or bad shape now, the time to worry is if they come back in the same condition after Christmas. For me as long as 90% of our list make it through this pre season this year without injuries that is a win. A full pre season for players is what matters with the current shape of our list.

I dont understand why people are so harsh on players this time of year. Honestly who cares if player A comes back in good shape or bad shape now, the time to worry is if they come back in the same condition after Christmas. For me as long as 90% of our list make it through this pre season this year without injuries that is a win. A full pre season for players is what matters with the current shape of our list.
Overall that’s right.

The way you read it sometimes on here is player X has developed a beer gut for the ages. As if.

Yes ofcourse at times players return a bit not perfect but that’s why we have a strong long preseason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well that isn't a good thing if they have done that

I once went to a spin class (I must have lost a bet or something). The instructor yelled at the class like a drill sergeant “I want you to crank up the resistance!!!” “More!!” “Crank it up again!!” “Harder!!” “Another half turn of the resistance!!!”

I obiently followed the instruction and quickly found myself maxed out on the resistance so that the dial wouldn’t turn any more. And after 10 minutes I was totally and completely rooted. I was the newbie and the wise heads in the class were sandbagging. It’s a game.

Harsh? Calling a guy fat is harsh. An observation a guy is lacking conditioning is just that, an observation.

Also the HP group care because they take skinfolds, bloods and run all sorts of tests. If a players not in the right zone they go on a modified program. They then play catch up and catch up in a professional environment causes stress on the body. Stress on the body causes setbacks. It was clear as day last year Wells conditioning was poor I made the same call and got whacked for it. How did Wells’ pre-season wind up? If you’re in poor condition early in pre-season it places you in a higher risk category for picking up an injury during the pre-season.

Both Wells and Elliott aren’t currently in AFL shape training in an AFL environment. It’s a concern because one soft tissue injury to either over the next 6 weeks is effectively career done because they’re already behind and it would set them back at least a further 4-6 weeks.

People that know about loadings and conditioning care, even if you and others don’t.

FWIW compare their current conditioning to IQ and it’ll provide a fair insight into where they’re at and they’re the only two, by eye, that are lacking conditioning which is a good outcome for the club.

Edit: for comparison check out this image of Elliott from 2 years ago v his shape in the video this week:

http://m.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2016-11-07/elliott-trains-on-day-one

His body shape especially through the core is completely different.

Last edited:
Those two new players we didn’t recognise? Academy players. My friend asked the young dark haired one whose name is trey Lol

ETA: it’s Trent

Collingwood: Trent Bianco, Lachlan Potter, Brock Smith

Academy players training with us via afl

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't you suggesting they deliberately ran worse times than they were capable of just so they could show better improvements later in the preseason

of course they were.

and a tip for the youngsters... if you find yourself forced to attend weight watchers or jenny craig or the like, at the initial weigh-in make sure you have a couple of kilos of sand secreted in your pockets... maybe lead weights would work, too. Just to give you that bit of leeway when push comes to shove after a couple of months.

As for today's training, there was no Wells, Greenwood (although I spotted him toward the side), Treloar, Maynard or Crisp. Goldsack ran laps for a bit. Dunn was out there briefly. Shaz also did laps, increasing his speed the more he did.

One of the drills the boys did was... they played a game of Soccer.

Those two new players we didn’t recognise? Academy players. My friend asked the young dark haired one whose name is trey Lol

ETA: it’s Trent

Collingwood: Trent Bianco, Lachlan Potter, Brock Smith

Academy players training with us via afl

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Here's a (2017) photo of Lachlan Potter:
Potter-e1497661705749-225x300.jpeg

Brock Smith (the one in the middle):
newcomers-Caleb-Serong-Sam-Flanders-and-Brock-Smith-supplied-by-gippsland-power.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back