North Melbourne: 20,043
Richmond: 62,696

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction
Might end up with both Richmond and Collingwood over 100,000 in 2019 with Essendon not far behind.

Collingwood won’t get near Richmond in membership size.

Reasons
1. Way too many casuals support Collingwood when they’re winning, they come out the woodwork with some Kmart scarf from 2004 and Chris Tarrant guernsey from 2002...however, they’re not passionate, fall off the bandwagon easily and do not actually pour funds into the club.

2. In turn, Richmond have less casuals, but far more rabid, insane, diehards. These people have always been there, as evident from their attendance history when successful (first afl club to hit 1,000,000 through the turnstiles), and once the club was well managed again (an advantage Collingwood has always had over Richmond), these supporters have been gradually brought back and spent their money.

3. Essendon are far more likely to hit 100,000 members than Collingwood, their supporters are diehards, they spend their money, their growth is quite large and they will make ground to Richmond, but saying that, Richmond have 25,000 more members than Essendon now and Collingwood are scared to release their information.

kid_a

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2010
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Hammarby IF, East Freo, Glory
Collingwood won’t get near Richmond in membership size.

Reasons
1. Way too many casuals support Collingwood when they’re winning, they come out the woodwork with some Kmart scarf from 2004 and Chris Tarrant guernsey from 2002...however, they’re not passionate, fall off the bandwagon easily and do not actually pour funds into the club.

2. In turn, Richmond have less casuals, but far more rabid, insane, diehards. These people have always been there, as evident from their attendance history when successful (first afl club to hit 1,000,000 through the turnstiles), and once the club was well managed again (an advantage Collingwood has always had over Richmond), these supporters have been gradually brought back and spent their money.

3. Essendon are far more likely to hit 100,000 members than Collingwood, their supporters are diehards, they spend their money, their growth is quite large and they will make ground to Richmond, but saying that, Richmond have 25,000 more members than Essendon now and Collingwood are scared to release their information.

I think you`re being a tad harsh there.
I suspect Richmond will still mount a higher membership tally and agree there are probably more pure rabid Tigers fans, but Collingwood have plenty of rabid loyal fans, loads and loads.
Lest we forget in 2017 they actually had more members than Richmond, so after GF appearence expect their number to rise sharply (just as Richmonds did).

Tygrys

Club Legend
Mar 26, 2009
Dallas, Texas
AFL Club
Richmond
I think you`re being a tad harsh there.
I suspect Richmond will still mount a higher membership tally and agree there are probably more pure rabid Tigers fans, but Collingwood have plenty of rabid loyal fans, loads and loads.
Lest we forget in 2017 they actually had more members than Richmond, so after GF appearence expect their number to rise sharply (just as Richmonds did).

McGuire has apparently reported they are 6000 members ahead of where they were last year. When Richmond figures are released later on today we will be approximately 10,000 ahead. They still fancy themselves as the biggest club with the biggest supporter base in Melbourne. But what if we are both premiership contenders next year and we still continue to monster them in membership and beat them in attendance? What will that tell us then? Next year could very well be put up or shut up. They are running out of excuses.

kid_a

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2010
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Hammarby IF, East Freo, Glory
McGuire has apparently reported they are 6000 members ahead of where they were last year. When Richmond figures are released later on today we will be approximately 10,000 ahead. They still fancy themselves as the biggest club with the biggest supporter base in Melbourne. But what if we are both premiership contenders next year and we still continue to monster them in membership and beat them in attendance? What will that tell us then? Next year could very well be put up or shut up. They are running out of excuses.
I never said they're bigger, but they're bloody big. Have always respected tiger fans the most in the league outside our own, but collingwood are bloody big and growing and shouldn't be written off.

PS: I even said tigers would get more members than them, but they'll(pies) still shoot up a lot

Tygrys

Club Legend
Mar 26, 2009
Dallas, Texas
AFL Club
Richmond
I never said they're bigger, but they're bloody big. Have always respected tiger fans the most in the league outside our own, but collingwood are bloody big and growing and shouldn't be written off.

PS: I even said tigers would get more members than them, but they'll(pies) still shoot up a lot

I never said you did. Your post was entirely fair and reasonable. But there was an inference, unspoken and perhaps unintended ie"after GF appearence expect their number to rise sharply (just as Richmonds did)." That instead of a 25,000 gap, that the two clubs will be on a more even playing field. Now this could happen but at the moment there is little to suggest that it will. The gap is not narrowing but in fact increasing in Richmond's favour. Again I responded to your post to make a more general point about their anticipated increase in membership and what it will mean if they fail to make any meaningful dent in Richmond's superiority. Yep your comments were fine, just took a particular point and ran with it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back