Fox Footy's replays of past games

Remove this Banner Ad

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Has been tremendous this off season. They always do a good job regardless. But in the short amount of time the season's been done and dusted, they've put on an absolute clinic. Yesterday they had the 1980 Grand Final between Richmond and Collingwood, Bulldogs vs WCE round 1 in 2004 where there were 40+ goals kicked including 7 from Jade Rawlings { Which wasn't enough } and the drawn game between Sydney and Essendon on a Friday night in 96 where the Swans were about to begin a massive and unforeseen run to the Grand Final. They also had '' the come back '' where the Dons erased the biggest ever deficit in the history of the game chasing down a 69 point margin against the Kangaroos.

The day before they showed Collingwood vs WCE, Round 2, 2002 where Brodie Holland kicked 8 goals in a one point win. It was Chris Judd's first game for WCE, another high scoring affair.

Dogs vs Cats at Optus Oval round 2, 1999. Geelong won booting 24 goals to the Doggies 20 including 7 majors from Nathan Brown.

Round 1 2007, Grand Final rematch Sydney vs a depleted WCE who hung on to win by a point, the 3rd successive meeting between the clubs that ended that way { twice in the finals in 2006 it finished one point to each side }

The list is endless. Foxtel is s**t but it's worth it's weight in gold with Sport and in particular Fox Footy.

I watched a few of those. The 2007 GF was a standout. WC have actually played in a few great GF's.

I also watched the replay of the 2016 PF this week for the first time. I was there and couldn't watch a replay until some time had passed.

That 2016 side will go into the club history as the most raw-talent we're ever likely to have for a long time. We also won the NEAFL flag that year. I do think our SF side this year would have beaten them, older harder heads basically.

I can really see why Leon favoured mature players. Guys like Griffen, Shaw and Mummy weren't the spectacular players but they added a bit of much needed spine.

We rose too far too quickly to win it that year in my view, but it's still arguably a missed opportunity and you dont get many.

North Melbourne/Geelong qualifying final in 1997 played 7:00 pm Sunday night, could only imagine the uproar if the AFL did that next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Showdown just after Phil Walsh's death just finished. Magnificent game. The post match including the minutes applause got shown too.

Last edited:
Brodie Holland. Still not over that.
4 in the first, and 3 in about the last 3 min remaining in the third of actual game play. Unreal. Matera probably should have marked it at the end.

There was a cracking Coll v WCE game in 2003 they should replay.

At Etihad. Eagles kick the first 6 in about 12 mins. Pies fight back and get a 20+ point lead then Eagles kick the last 6 in about 10 mins to win by a couple of goals.

It was UNBELIEVABLE to be at!!
I remember that game. I think Embley had a blinder from memory. He was a quality player. I forgot about him tbh, I recall he won the Norm smith in 2006 and took a match saving mark. But when they mention Judd, Cousins, Kerr, they should also mention Andrew Embley. Cox was another star Eagle in his prime.

Would like so classic old school footy, but from across all states... ie. 1960's GF's from each state over a week, followed by 1970's ect.

At Etihad. Eagles kick the first 6 in about 12 mins. Pies fight back and get a 20+ point lead then Eagles kick the last 6 in about 10 mins to win by a couple of goals.

Amazing the number of great games between those two teams

I was at that game and I think the Eagles were 6.2 before the Pies had an inside 50.

St.K vs Pies 1997 round 3 on now was an absolute belter. 6 from Everitt and 5 from Heatley I believe in a shootout. Loved the 1997 Saints and emergence of Jason Heatley.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back