David Warner

Remove this Banner Ad

Simon Katich has revealed the real reason he grabbed Michael Clarke by the throat
in the SCG dressing rooms in 2009.

It’s been widely reported that Katich was furious that Clarke was trying to rush the singing of the team victory song so he could leave the sheds and be with then-fiancee Lara Bingle.

However Katich has now opened up about the ‘personal’ insult from Clarke that made him snap.

“There’s been a fair bit said about it, I won’t deny that it happened,” Katich said on SEN Radio on Sunday.

“It was partly to do with the singing of the team song and the pressure that he was putting on Michael Hussey to really get on with it and get on with the night. That probably led to our altercation.

“But a big part of it from my point of view was what he said to me and the personal nature of what he said.

“I can’t repeat that on the show unfortunately because I’m sure there are some ladies out there listening.”

af06c4ee26a22be6d42d92f3d777daf4

Simon Katich and Michael Clarke in 2005. (Photo by Hamish Blair/Getty Images)
Katich said he doesn’t regret standing up for himself, but quickly tried to smooth things over with the help of captain Ricky Ponting and coach Tim Nielsen.

“What was said was said and I reacted accordingly. I can’t take that back now. I don’t regret standing up for myself because I certainly wasn’t going to sit there and listen to what he was saying in front of my teammates,” Katich said.

“I certainly apologised to my teammates for seeing him storm out and not come back for the song later on.

“As soon as it happened I spoke to Ricky Ponting and our coach Tim Nielsen about trying to make sure that there wasn’t any issue with it moving forward and Michael assured them and me that wouldn’t be the case.

“But whenever something like that happens to that nature there’s always going to be, I guess, both parties are going to feel that they’re in the right or the wrong.

“It was a small part of my career. I don’t look back on my career and judge myself on what happened in the dressing room.”

Simon Katich has revealed the real reason he grabbed Michael Clarke by the throat
in the SCG dressing rooms in 2009.

It’s been widely reported that Katich was furious that Clarke was trying to rush the singing of the team victory song so he could leave the sheds and be with then-fiancee Lara Bingle.

However Katich has now opened up about the ‘personal’ insult from Clarke that made him snap.

“There’s been a fair bit said about it, I won’t deny that it happened,” Katich said on SEN Radio on Sunday.

“It was partly to do with the singing of the team song and the pressure that he was putting on Michael Hussey to really get on with it and get on with the night. That probably led to our altercation.

“But a big part of it from my point of view was what he said to me and the personal nature of what he said.

“I can’t repeat that on the show unfortunately because I’m sure there are some ladies out there listening.”

af06c4ee26a22be6d42d92f3d777daf4

Simon Katich and Michael Clarke in 2005. (Photo by Hamish Blair/Getty Images)
Katich said he doesn’t regret standing up for himself, but quickly tried to smooth things over with the help of captain Ricky Ponting and coach Tim Nielsen.

“What was said was said and I reacted accordingly. I can’t take that back now. I don’t regret standing up for myself because I certainly wasn’t going to sit there and listen to what he was saying in front of my teammates,” Katich said.

“I certainly apologised to my teammates for seeing him storm out and not come back for the song later on.

“As soon as it happened I spoke to Ricky Ponting and our coach Tim Nielsen about trying to make sure that there wasn’t any issue with it moving forward and Michael assured them and me that wouldn’t be the case.

“But whenever something like that happens to that nature there’s always going to be, I guess, both parties are going to feel that they’re in the right or the wrong.

“It was a small part of my career. I don’t look back on my career and judge myself on what happened in the dressing room.”

#teamkatich

Michael Clarke was a cancer on the Australian cricket team.

It's a fascinating cultural war. There are people on one side that think that traditions are the single most important thing.

Traditions such as singing the song, only when the "custodian" decides. All eleven players wearing the baggy green onto the field at the start of the game. People such as Katich and S Waugh are clearly in this camp.

The other side. People like Clarke and Warne think it's all a bit of jingoistic s**t.

It's a fascinating cultural war. There are people on one side that think that traditions are the single most important thing.

Traditions such as singing the song, only when the "custodian" decides. All eleven players wearing the baggy green onto the field at the start of the game. People such as Katich and S Waugh are clearly in this camp.

The other side. People like Clarke and Warne think it's all a bit of jingoistic s**t.
I don’t buy into nonsense traditions but I do buy into respect. It was Hussey’s last match, a genuine good person, you show respect and hang around until he’s ready to say goodbye. Clarke comes across as a s**t bloke to me, Katich not so much, that tends to guide my views.

I don’t buy into nonsense traditions but I do buy into respect. It was Hussey’s last match, a genuine good person, you show respect and hang around until he’s ready to say goodbye. Clarke comes across as a s**t bloke to me, Katich not so much, that tends to guide my views.
It was Hayden’s and tbf IIRC it wasn’t confirmed whether or not it was his last test or not

I get that.

You not understanding what went on and equating it to cheating does.

Virtually every angle of the story has asserted that smith was not party to exactly what went on, simply got wind that Warner and Bancroft had cooked something up and said ‘I don’t want to know about it.’
Bullshit
The idea Smith wasn’t in on it from the start is media spin

Was the song/throat thing Michael Hussey's last test?

Wasn't part of the issue that Huss had his family and kids there and would have preferred to stay in the rooms with them and his team mates whereas Clarke wanted the team to head off to a party on a yacht. Not really a family friendly event

Can't remember if I'm mixing up my stories

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't part of the issue that Huss had his family and kids there and would have preferred to stay in the rooms with them and his team mates whereas Clarke wanted the team to head off to a party on a yacht. Not really a family friendly event

yeah mixing up stories.
throat = what ended up being Hayden’s last test
yacht = hussey’s last test

Two different things - the Katich/Clarke incident was the last test against South Africa in 09 and Hussey's last test and the boat incident was against Sri Lanka in 2013.

I've just reread the pertinent parts in Dan Brettig's whitewash to whitewash - Clarke comes off much worse in the Katich incident than the Hussey incident - the Hussey incident was miscommunication in that when he was first approached Michael was keen to go, but his wife wasn't. By the time the Hussey clan had decided not to go, Clarke and a few others were already on the boat.

The boat issue: http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/story/673693.html

Hussey was fine with it - some of the players cracked the shits on his behalf. And it had been organised waaay in advance.

Hussey had announced prior to the Test that it would be his last, although that was not known at the time when captain Michael Clarke organised the boat trip, months in advance. Because children were not allowed on the boat for safety reasons, Hussey and his family did not attend and in the weeks that followed, rumours began to circulate of a rift between Hussey and Clarke.

However, Hussey said while some members of the Test team, notably Shane Watson, Peter Siddle and Nathan Lyon, expressed concerns that Hussey was staying behind at the team hotel instead of attending the boat party, he himself understood that the situation could not have been predicted. Hussey said he spoke to team manager Gavin Dovey to explain that while he wanted the team to go on the boat trip, he intended to stay at the hotel with his family.

"All this was pretty straightforward to me," Hussey wrote. "I said to Gavin, 'I just want some hours to celebrate with the boys in the dressing room. I don't want to stop them from having the celebration on the boat'. I said, 'I reckon the boat will be great for the boys, but after we have our time in the dressing room as a team, I'll have my time with the family'.

"We had a fantastic time in the dressing room. The team had organised for John Williamson to come in and sing True Blue to us. It was a live-in-person way of calling the team song. Afterwards, the team presented me with a watch and had organised another gift. A few people spoke some really nice words, and then the time came for everyone to go: the team to the boat, and me to my family.

"When we got back to the hotel, the boys had to be downstairs in half an hour to assemble for the boat trip. A few of the support staff had children, so we were all going to meet at the mezzanine and have some pizzas. Unfortunately, when they came down to leave, some of the boys didn't know about my conversation with Gavin and assumed I was going on the boat.

"Peter Siddle and Nathan Lyon came up to the mezzanine and said, 'What's going on? Aren't you coming?' I said, 'I'm staying with the family, but I want you to go, you'll have a great time'. Sidds, who was now a teetotaller, decided to stay at the hotel. I talked Nathan into going. 'It'll be a great experience, you're part of the team going forward, go on, have a good time'."

However, Hussey said the next morning Dovey explained to him that some of the players were disappointed the team had not stayed with Hussey while others believed they should have gone on the boat, leading to a division in the group. Hussey reiterated that he thought the boat party was a good idea for the team and that he had no complaints, but spoke to Watson and Siddle to clarify the situation.

"Sidds was fine. He said it was a bit disappointing that the whole team didn't stay with me, but he accepted it," Hussey said. "Watto was not so accepting. He was adamant that the team should have changed its plans and stuck with me. I kept telling him, 'Look, I had no problems, it was fine'. It shouldn't have been an issue."

The boat issue: http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/story/673693.html

Hussey was fine with it - some of the players cracked the shits on his behalf. And it had been organised waaay in advance.

Ah yes the boat saga. I remember hearing at the time that Huss woke up the next day with a voicemail from Warner and Clarke basically abusing him for telling the media and not being there which seemed a bit ridiculous. The more I hear about Warner though the more believable it sounds

Ah yes the boat saga. I remember hearing at the time that Huss woke up the next day with a voicemail from Warner and Clarke basically abusing him for telling the media and not being there which seemed a bit ridiculous. The more I hear about Warner though the more believable it sounds
Not true, according to Michael Hussey: Why don't people bother to Google this stuff?

Fifth, there was no call from Michael Clarke (or David Warner) abusing me about leaking information. The only call I had from anyone in the team was on the night, when a few of them got on the phone after a few more beers and said they wished I was there.

It was all very light-hearted.

Sixth, there was no conversation or encounter of any kind between me and Michael Clarke the following day. That was pure fiction.

I could just ignore the whole thing and consign the email to the trash bin, where it belongs.

It was hurtful on a number of levels. It put a dampener on what was otherwise a great time for me and the team. And I was worried it would affect my relationship with Michael. As soon as I saw it, I rang him and left a message and said, “There’s this email floating around; it’s a pack of lies and I had nothing to do with it.”

When we eventually spoke, he was angry about this email. He’s had his image attacked at different times and is used to it, but he was angry to see that someone close to the team had been a source, giving the writer enough grains of truth — the John Williamson story, the boat, and so on — for them to think they were on to something.

It must have come from someone close to the team, and that was what worried him. Michael’s manager tracked it back to a guy in the Sydney financial markets who’d been at the cricket getting drunk every day, heard some gossip and decided to write this email.

If it wasn’t hurtful, and public knowledge, it would be laughable. This person had a few dots, but when he joined them, he formed a picture that was wildly off the mark.

I don’t want to hide from it because I know the truth. The truth doesn’t reflect badly on everyone — we were all trying to do the right thing.

There was a miscommunication about what I wanted to do on the night, but these things happen. If it said anything, the whole affair confirmed, first of all, that there are some nasty pieces of work out there, and secondly, that communications and trust among the close cricket fraternity were not what they could have been.

The notorious blue between Simon Katich and Michael Clarke was all my fault. I still blame myself. Soon after the match, Michael Clarke asked me if I could possibly complete the song before midnight. We stayed in the SCG dressing rooms for several hours, enjoying the win.

The South Africans, a brilliant bunch of guys who reminded me of Australians in a lot of ways, came in and had a drink with us. So it went on for quite a while before I could call the guys in and lead the song.

The South Africans stayed for quite a while, and I enjoyed having a few beers with them. Every half-hour or so, Steve Bernard kept coming up to me and saying, “Huss, when are you going to sing the song?” I was having a good time, and in the mood to sit for a while, and said, “Brutus, every time you ask me, I’m going to add another 15 minutes on to it.”

I didn’t realise that Michael Clarke had organised a bar for the post-dressing room celebrations. Feeling under time pressure, he was asking Steve to get me to hurry up and sing the song. I wished in hindsight that he’d come up to me and said, “Huss, can we sing the song, we need to hurry up and go.”

I would have been more than happy to sing the song straight away and let them go.

While I was completely oblivious to Pup’s mounting panic, Kato was on the other side of the room with a clear view of Pup talking to Steve Bernard and getting frustrated.

Then, out of nowhere they came together in the middle of the room. There was a big confrontation and I thought, What the hell is going on? This had come out of nowhere. We’d all been having a laugh and a chat.

It got broken up pretty quickly. Kato was put back down in his seat and Pup left the dressing room altogether. We were all in a bit of shock. I certainly didn’t know what the hell had gone on. Kato was very apologetic.

It was the first Test match for Doug Bollinger and Andrew McDonald — who had, coincidentally, replaced Andrew Symonds, who’d played his last Test in Melbourne. Kato was saying to each of them, “I’m really sorry for what happened. I just want you to enjoy this win, I’m really sorry, I don’t want to ruin your first Test match.”

Andrew McDonald broke the ice beautifully. He said, “Don’t worry, mate, this happens all the time in Victoria.”

Everyone burst out laughing and cheering. We all started drinking again and didn’t think about it. I said, “We’d better get this song done.”
Half an hour later I called it, and asked Brute, “Where’s Pup?”

“He’s gone.” I felt completely responsible. I felt it was a black mark against my name that one of our brothers was missing for the team song. We’d won the Test match together, but he was gone. I felt dreadful about it, and the next morning tried calling him but couldn’t get through.

I sent him messages. He eventually got back and said it wasn’t my fault, don’t worry, he’d sort out his differences with Kato.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back