Status
Not open for further replies.
May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
I have been to the emirates a few times but that was by far and away the best atmosphere I have experienced there. The fans and players are so united. We showed great resilience after going down (undeservedly).

Could have v easily dropped our heads. In the past wenger would have spent the second half moaning to the 4th official whereas Unai focused on turning it round. Terrific subs and tactics.

Still a touch vulnerable at the back and I feel we lack a real class CB.

The place was absolutely rocking.

I was all set for a new Auba shirt but now it has to be torreira.

It gets better - I jagged a ticket in the away end at OT wed night. We go again

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I hope Wednesday night in Manchester is just as enjoyable for you.

Genesis67

Premiership Player
Jun 6, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Yankees, N'Orleans Saints, Arsenal
Well, disappointingly, training cancelled at the last minute. Still, there’s Wednesday!!

Just finished watching the replay. Storming games all around, but particularly from Auba and Torreiria. Very good games from both wingbacks as well.

If we play like that at OT, we’ll get some sort of result.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
I just wanted to say I love Ozil before the I add what I'm going to add. It has to be said that the 350k a week contract and him being nearly our double highest paid player isn't really working out for us at the moment. I still have faith he'll be a huge contributor this season and beyond though.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
He ran the show against Fulham just a month ago, but has barely been sighted since.

Sitting the whole Bournemouth game on the bench wouldn’t have been pleasent for him. He’s still struggling with the back injury and doubtful to feature tomorrow according to Emery.

Genesis67

Premiership Player
Jun 6, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
I just wanted to say I love Ozil before the I add what I'm going to add. It has to be said that the 350k a week contract and him being nearly our double highest paid player isn't really working out for us at the moment. I still have faith he'll be a huge contributor this season and beyond though.
I love Ozil too, but I watched the replay of the NLD and kept wondering "Where does he fit in here? Do we cash in on him?"

Apr 14, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal
He ran the show against Fulham just a month ago, but has barely been sighted since.

Sitting the whole Bournemouth game on the bench wouldn’t have been pleasent for him. He’s still struggling with the back injury and doubtful to feature tomorrow according to Emery.
Do you really think he has a back injury?

Why we gave him that contract and then signed a coach who does not want to play a 10 I don't get.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams

Why we gave him that contract and then signed a coach who does not want to play a 10 I don't get.

The question marks around him continue and it does seem a bit suspicious. It’s hard to gauge whether he’s really injured or not. Especially with his record in he last few years of sitting out some games regularly (illness etc).

Back spasms can be very debilitating so can understand why it’s hampered him so much if true.

I’m a big Ozil fan and at full flight he is something else. Really thought he’d turned the corner this season.

The smile was back, very raucous celebrating, strong body language on the pitch. All of these are signals that inside, it’s coming together nicely for him after a tough few months with the issues in Germany.

I’ll say though it’s not a great look that Emery “didn’t know” whether he was at The Emirates or not on the weekend.

Genesis67

Premiership Player
Jun 6, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Probably not a bad idea to cash in on him, contracted until 2021 I believe. Can use those funds to replace Miki and Mustafi, as well as Ozil himself.
That's kinda what I was thinking. With the sort of money he'd bring in, we'd be able to buy a really top class CB and LW/RW.

Genesis67

Premiership Player
Jun 6, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
The question marks around him continue and it does seem a bit suspicious. It’s hard to gauge whether he’s really injured or not. Especially with his record in he last few years of sitting out some games regularly (illness etc).

Back spasms can be very debilitating so can understand why it’s hampered him so much if true.

I’m a big Ozil fan and at full flight he is something else. Really thought he’d turned the corner this season.

The smile was back, very raucous celebrating, strong body language on the pitch.
All of these are signals that inside, it’s coming together nicely for him after a tough few months with the issues in Germany.

I’ll say though it’s not a great look that Emery “didn’t know” whether he was at The Emirates or not on the weekend.
If you follow him on social media, even as of yesterday that is still very much true. Get the distinct feeling that morale is very high right across the player group at the moment, even amongst those not playing.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
The trouble is... how do we sell Ozil? Can't imagine there would be clubs lining up to sign him with his wages. If we do get rid of him it will be almost on a free or selling him for a fee and covering a part of his wages.

This I can't see too many clubs coming in with a decent fee for a player who's 30 and on 350k a week. He's still contracted at us for another 2 seasons after this one on those wages.

carnthemlions

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
San Francisco 49ers, Hertha Berlin

Do we really know what Emery's preferred setup is yet? We've had success with a few different systems. Iwobi's looked in favour at times but also gets dragged if he doesn't perform and still can't score. That 3-4-1-2 we used in the second half functioned very well and gives us wide outlets while allowing us to play both strikers up front- but there's no place for Iwobi in it.

The smile was back, very raucous celebrating, strong body language on the pitch. All of these are signals that inside, it’s coming together nicely for him after a tough few months with the issues in Germany.

That's the problem with Ozil rumours, they're pretty much self perpetuating these days. But when there are so many hint of poor attitude and relationships with coaching staff or players over such a long period something more concrete generally appear. In Ozil's case he's not the most outspoken or demonstrative player so it's very easy to write your own narrative- and that's exactly what a lot of media figures have done, see the derision from Champion and Beglin when they mentioned him during the game.

May 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus, Arsenal, OKC, Avalanche
There’s a rumour theory going around that perhaps his injuries revolve around him playing too many video games in particular fortnite. He has 600 wins and has played almost 6000 games which highlights he plays a lot sitting in his chair which could have resulted in his back issues.

We’ve seen Dembele apparently have these issues so it is a logical explanation for his injury.

Apr 14, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal
There’s a rumour theory going around that perhaps his injuries revolve around him playing too many video games in particular fortnite. He has 600 wins and has played almost 6000 games which highlights he plays a lot sitting in his chair which could have resulted in his back issues.

We’ve seen Dembele apparently have these issues so it is a logical explanation for his injury.
He is too old for Fortnite.

May 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus, Arsenal, OKC, Avalanche
90AA320A-9991-4649-BA31-745ED2F1C14B.png
2ADD6104-97F1-41A0-A5CE-2F9DEAA5C15A.png

Jan 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I've never played fornite, but 600 wins from 6000 games sounds pretty terrible. Wouldn't quit my day job to do that, especially if it's paying $350,000 a week.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Do we really know what Emery's preferred setup is yet? We've had success with a few different systems. Iwobi's looked in favour at times but also gets dragged if he doesn't perform and still can't score. That 3-4-1-2 we used in the second half functioned very well and gives us wide outlets while allowing us to play both strikers up front- but there's no place for Iwobi in it.

That's the problem with Ozil rumours, they're pretty much self perpetuating these days. But when there are so many hint of poor attitude and relationships with coaching staff or players over such a long period something more concrete generally appear. In Ozil's case he's not the most outspoken or demonstrative player so it's very easy to write your own narrative- and that's exactly what a lot of media figures have done, see the derision from Champion and Beglin when they mentioned him during the game.

Yep very valid points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back