Training 2019 preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft hopeful this year with our rookie pick or draft hopeful for next year (like all clubs do for a couple of weeks)

I quite like the idea of having a couple of these kids train with us for a week or two before we decide on the final rookie.

Next year.

Young is looking a lot bigger in the vids and photos.
Size and strength was probably the thing he lacked last season but looking at him now this could be the year he finds a spot down back

Getting in the gym over the off seasons seems like it was a focus. Dale, English, Lipinski and Young in particular look noticeably bigger.

Young is looking a lot bigger in the vids and photos.
Size and strength was probably the thing he lacked last season but looking at him now this could be the year he finds a spot down back

Heard a few people saying at the SC party tonight that Young was training with the forwards?

Both him and Lippi have definitely put on some size. Schache looking great too (he is a top kid as well). We have some ripping kids on our list now

Saw Boyd in person tonight looking noticeably thinner hopefully not just to relieve the stress he had (in his back) and to get him a bit more mobile for a forward role

Reckon that's probably the case, dropping muscle mass is one of the easiest ways to fix up a back injury.

Sounds like Young and Ed training with the forwards and William's with the mids. So while we think weve got an overabundance of half backs, two of the main guys everyone has in there teams look set to play elsewhere.

I'm so excited to see Bailey William's in the midfield. Big call but I can see him being our third best mid behind Bont and Macrae. Hes exactly what were crying out for in there. Big, hard at it, quick, elite through traffic and a brilliant kick. If he starts getting the ball 25+ times a game and breaking lines through the midfield watch the * out. He only turned 21 last month!

I like Ed up forward too, he knows where the goals are and is super reliable at taking his opportunities. Hopefully plays high and rotates through the wings because I love his run up the ground, but we also need some of that pace going inside 50 that we lack and you want the ball in his hands going inside 50 too always makes good decisions. So that's a pretty exciting move for our forward line IMO.

Young I'm not sure on, I really really like him down back and theres the perfect spot for him opening up soon. But we obviously need a 2nd kpf too and if the club thinks hes capable of playing that role then it's a no brainer.

Sounds like Young and Ed training with the forwards and William's with the mids. So while we think weve got an overabundance of half backs, two of the main guys everyone has in there teams look set to play elsewhere.

I'm so excited to see Bailey William's in the midfield. Big call but I can see him being our third best mid behind Bont and Macrae. Hes exactly what were crying out for in there. Big, hard at it, quick, elite through traffic and a brilliant kick. If he starts getting the ball 25+ times a game and breaking lines through the midfield watch the **** out. He only turned 21 last month!

I like Ed up forward too, he knows where the goals are and is super reliable at taking his opportunities. Hopefully plays high and rotates through the wings because I love his run up the ground, but we also need some of that pace going inside 50 that we lack and you want the ball in his hands going inside 50 too always makes good decisions. So that's a pretty exciting move for our forward line IMO.

Young I'm not sure on, I really really like him down back and theres the perfect spot for him opening up soon. But we obviously need a 2nd kpf too and if the club thinks hes capable of playing that role then it's a no brainer.
I like the idea of Ed on a wing, not sure how suited to the forward line he really is, but I guess the coaches would know far better than any of us.

I believe Young played a decent amount of juniors/U18s as a forward, and has also played up there at VFL level, so this move doesn't surprise me. Does make me think that Boyd may be less likely to be featuring as a full forward this year though, and it may also mean that our key defensive stocks are getting a little thin. We have Naughton and Cordy as our main spine, but with Morris likely retiring soon, Roberts out of favour, Trengove playing more in the ruck, Roughead being traded, Adams being traded, plus Collins and NMM being delisted, we've suddenly gone from an over-abundance of KPD's to being noticeably short of them

I like the idea of Ed on a wing, not sure how suited to the forward line he really is, but I guess the coaches would know far better than any of us.

I believe Young played a decent amount of juniors/U18s as a forward, and has also played up there at VFL level, so this move doesn't surprise me. Does make me think that Boyd may be less likely to be featuring as a full forward this year though, and it may also mean that our key defensive stocks are getting a little thin. We have Naughton and Cordy as our main spine, but with Morris likely retiring soon, Roberts out of favour, Trengove playing more in the ruck, Roughead being traded, Adams being traded, plus Collins and NMM being delisted, we've suddenly gone from an over-abundance of KPD's to being noticeably short of them
Has this Young and Red training with the forwards been confirmed? Wasn’t sure if it’s info from last nights event or people putting two and two together.

Has this Young and Red training with the forwards been confirmed? Wasn’t sure if it’s info from last nights event or people putting two and two together.
Oh, I assumed the comment I replied to was the guy confirming he saw them training with forwards. I actually don't know myself, I don't live in Victoria so never get the chance to attend any of these events

I think he'd still be mostly high half forward/wing but the kid just seems to find himself in good spots to kick goals and rarely misses. I dont see why he couldnt kick 25+ in a HFF/Wing role as soon as next year to be honest.

I've liked what I've seen from Young forward too but like you said our defensive stocks are getting short and I really see a A grade defender in him in a couple of years so I'm a bit wary of moving him. Also I want to see Boyd at full forward in a perfect world but even if it's not Boyd youd think either Trengove or English will be there with Schache the lock so not sure theres really a spot open for Young their either. So if hes still waiting for a spot either way I'd just be developing him down back where he will slot directly into Moz's spot next year.

From someone on Woof. William's with the mids has been mentioned a few times now and is pretty obvious anyway so I'd say that's a lock. Whereas the other two may just have been doing a drill with the forward group I dunno but it makes a lot of sense too. Been thinking Red was going to move forward all off season considering our investment in more half backs. Knowing Bev I'd say a lot of our flankers are training in both forward and defensive drills.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From someone on Woof. William's with the mids has been mentioned a few times now and is pretty obvious anyway so I'd say that's a lock. Whereas the other two may just have been doing a drill with the forward group I dunno but it makes a lot of sense too. Been thinking Red was going to move forward all off season considering our investment in more half backs. Knowing Bev I'd say a lot of our flankers are training in both forward and defensive drills.
Makes sense, I’d also like to see Ed on a wing.

Training with us Western Bulldogs: Jack Bell, Hugo Ralph-Smith, Josh Worrell, Darcy Cassar 2019 group

Jack Bell: 200cm, 73kg, ruckman presumably?
Hugo Ralphsmith: 186cm, 70kg, mid/wing?
Darcy Cassar: 183cm, 75kg, mid/forward?
Josh Worrell: 195cm, 74kg, KPP?

Training Thursday 6th December.

47458944_10156779722302487_911197150300340224_n.jpg

47433501_10156779723182487_1276238266307182592_n.jpg

47191418_10156779723072487_3212571258927448064_n.jpg

47396424_10156779723042487_7085936409009192960_n.jpg

47354951_10156779723102487_4491806673672863744_n.jpg

47396488_10156779722827487_1790242072343609344_n.jpg

47322189_10156779723207487_4755654365866360832_n.jpg

47356120_10156779722272487_6756218572923469824_n.jpg

Last edited:
Our ability to be/play physical is really going to step up a notch from last season.

I’m looking forward to Libba being able to get in the face of the opposition again. He’s not that big, but he’s as tough as they come & to be honest, he’d probably be scary out on the field

Remove this Banner Ad

Back