Opinion Which player has the greatest trade value?

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not really, I'm just bringing it back to what the discussion is really about.

And yeah, he throws. He isn't the only offender to be fair, though. Mitchell is guilty of it, too. The umpires were universally slack calling for it this year (so I really don't take much stock in your cited statistic, considering I've seen him throw with my own eyes - despite it not being called, other times it definitely has).
Ok, but I'm just saying there's no use trying to argue against a point I was never making in the first place. Someone else brought the topic up, so I countered with my own argument.

And honestly, Macrae is really not a habitual thrower, at least wasn't in 2018. People accuse Bulldogs of throwing constantly because their gameplan involves swift movement of the ball by hand. I highly recommend watching any slow motion footage you can find of their gameplay, and you will see that a lot of what appears to be "throwing" is actually just rapid hand movement, but contact is definitely made with their fist

Masqualero

Club Legend
Jul 2, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Much as I dont want to promote trade talk, Lever over Haynes is silly. Haynes is a better intercept mark when he can play loose. He can take a man when required, as well as providing the outnumber with a fist when necessary.
He very good at ground level rounding up loose balls in a dangerous position.
Lever is good but not at that level. Neither are close to Jeremy McGoverns value anyway.
Harris Andrews would be closer in value to McGovern than both of those players IMO.

Not taking anything away from Lever and Haynes, would love both.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
I don't think you're applying the OP correctly by looking into contracts. Making it more complicated than intended .

Just all things being equal who is the most valuable player on the trade table in the comp

All things are not equal though. Kelly has a one year deal some players have 6/7

Jun 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Ok, but I'm just saying there's no use trying to argue against a point I was never making in the first place. Someone else brought the topic up, so I countered with my own argument.

And honestly, Macrae is really not a habitual thrower, at least wasn't in 2018. People accuse Bulldogs of throwing constantly because their gameplan involves swift movement of the ball by hand. I highly recommend watching any slow motion footage you can find of their gameplay, and you will see that a lot of what appears to be "throwing" is actually just rapid hand movement, but contact is definitely made with their fist
That's fair, I don't want you to feel like I'm putting words in your mouth.

But replying to the rest of your post, I don't think the Bulldogs are the only ones guilty of throwing, and throwing is really an umpiring problem for the whole league (for example, players throwing the ball behind them overhead but getting a fist to it in the last moment is still technically a throw). Basically, a handball is supposed to be holding the ball stationary in one hand and using the other to punch the ball. That one hand holding the ball isn't supposed to be rapidly moving in the direction of where you're wanting to "handball" it. Even if you get a fist to it.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

But replying to the rest of your post, I don't think the Bulldogs are the only ones guilty of throwing, and throwing is really an umpiring problem for the whole league (for example, players throwing the ball behind them overhead but getting a fist to it in the last moment is still technically a throw). Basically, a handball is supposed to be holding the ball stationary in one hand and using the other to punch the ball. That one hand holding the ball isn't supposed to be rapidly moving in the direction of where you're wanting to "handball" it. Even if you get a fist to it.
Yeah this one I'll agree with, and I'll concede that Bulldogs are guilty of exploiting that method. I get the impression that the horrendous state of umpiring in 2017 led to them deciding to be more "hands off" in 2018, and it resulted in arguably worse officiating where teams were basically getting away with everything this year.

Best example of this I thought was Round 22 this season, West Coast vs Melbourne. It was honestly incredibly frustrating seeing Melbourne repeatedly get away with things like pushing in the back, holding the man, obstructing from contests, etc. all because the umpires were worried about making too many calls, especially with all the controversy surrounding the crowds in Perth being so vocal and potentially influencing umpiring. Ended up costing the Eagles that game (I honestly feel they were easily the better side that day, just got the short end of umpiring because of all the non-calls). Although I guess it didn't matter for them in the end haha

Jun 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yeah this one I'll agree with, and I'll concede that Bulldogs are guilty of exploiting that method. I get the impression that the horrendous state of umpiring in 2017 led to them deciding to be more "hands off" in 2018, and it resulted in arguably worse officiating where teams were basically getting away with everything this year.

Best example of this I thought was Round 22 this season, West Coast vs Melbourne. It was honestly incredibly frustrating seeing Melbourne repeatedly get away with things like pushing in the back, holding the man, obstructing from contests, etc. all because the umpires were worried about making too many calls, especially with all the controversy surrounding the crowds in Perth being so vocal and potentially influencing umpiring. Ended up costing the Eagles that game (I honestly feel they were easily the better side that day, just got the short end of umpiring because of all the non-calls). Although I guess it didn't matter for them in the end haha
I didn't mind some of the officiating (for example, I was glad they eased up on deliberate out of bounds this year, because it was annoying watching players raise their arms at umpires for a free kick well before the ball was even over the line). Blocking is all the over the place, too. It'll be interesting to see what umpiring will be like in 2019 without the 'hands in the back' rule, going back to the 'obvious push in the back' of old.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
[

It's been terrible watching sequences of blokes chucking the balls over their heads whilst the commentators act like it's good football.

Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Much as I dont want to promote trade talk, Lever over Haynes is silly. Haynes is a better intercept mark when he can play loose. He can take a man when required, as well as providing the outnumber with a fist when necessary.
He very good at ground level rounding up loose balls in a dangerous position.
Lever is good but not at that level. Neither are close to Jeremy McGoverns value anyway.

Lever has been in the AA squad already at Haynes' age. Haynes hasn't... Haynes is a good player but Lever is better.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Haynes is better than Lever but he also has four years on him.
Harris Andrews would have more trade value than both anyway.
That's true there's some projection involved. It's an interesting question with contracts rarely running beyond 5 years and the new free agency rules being time in the system rather than at a club.

Would you prefer a 22yo with longer to go in their career, or a oroven 26yo that you can expect 5 years from?

The older player with more history is probably less risky. Not just injury wise, players can fall by the wayside as well.

Might depend on where the club is at a bit too, I guess.

Jul 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles, Lakers, Bayern, Trojans
It's a good question and really I don't think there is a clear answer.

Things to be taken into account
- Performance so far in AFL
- Position

I think in the current game the most important players are midfielders that can play inside/outside, have speed and can kick on both feet accurately. Who are these players currently that are youngish? Probably Josh Kelly is first on that list, but not sure he has a right foot either or is that fast

23 touches and dominating the clearances to half time against Melbourne at the G this year, 10 touches and little impact when Harmes went to him after half time.

I'm not sure one half where he got 10 touches is great evidence that he "is the type of player who can be shut down with a hard tag".

He got over 30 touches in 16 of 19 games. One of the games where he got less he went off injured before half time. How can someone easily tagged out of games be that consistent?

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm not sure one half where he got 10 touches is great evidence that he "is the type of player who can be shut down with a hard tag".

He got over 30 touches in 16 of 19 games. One of the games where he got less he went off injured before half time. How can someone easily tagged out of games be that consistent?
Fair enough, I'm probably wrong to say that based on one half where Harmes shut him down. I'll say he's a player who's influence can be limited. I have him in the same category as Tom Mitchell, fantastic player but not quite brilliant enough to be as dangerous as some. Maybe he can't be regularly shut down but I'd be shocked if a good tagger couldn't curb the influence of either of those players.

All I'm arguing here is he's just not quite as special as Bont, Kelly, Cripps or Oliver and being a little older as well matters when you talking trade value. Every year counts.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
meanwhile dusty is 27 and didnt get much love
I was asking the question which is most valuable.

It's odd he wasn't mentioned I agree. There would be a few teams that would sell the farm for him I'd think.

People are actually saying you need potential for improvement, in this thread. I'm guessing recruiters would orefer the certainty of the very best. Martin or Fyfe are known quantities.

He'd be perfect for the Demons, Eagles and Bombers in a window for the next few years I'd think.

Back