Channel 7 commentary whinge thread 2018-19

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
Is it just me who doesn’t see the necessity of a ball-by-ball commentator for cricket on TV? Silence would be far more preferable when the expert commentators don’t feel the need to impart relevant analysis. It’s not like football or basketball where you need to be told which player has the ball etc.

I've never seen the need for more than one person in the commentary box. The moment it went to 2 and beyond, it gave rise to the "conversation", and haven't we heard some absolute bullshit being spoken over the years?

IKnowtheDog

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Slats > Healy and Clarke at least

Hopefully he’s bearable where there’s no boys club
He’s a good commentator when he covers some of the other tours. I think you’ll find with cricket a couple of the broadcasters will have their team of commentators working on tour to tour. Much like what is happening in Australia this summer

eltrain

Club Legend
Dec 22, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
MVFC, Everton, Red Sox, Bruins
Having at least two at least gives a chance for differing opinions which can be good.
Tony and Bill used to half-jokingly spar in the box, but you very rarely hear disagreement between commentators. Circle jerk is an accurate description of it all actually and it adds nothing.

Hope Brayshaw does the BBL, he’d be suited for that perfectly. Wouldn’t be BT levels of over the top but adds excitement

Not as suited to Test commentary but I’m optimistic, combos like him, Punter and Blewett would be nice
JB was pretty good in the old C7 Sport days of covering shield cricket. hoping he'll be the same with the tests, but he's become very "blokey" since then

Apr 19, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Swans Blog
Hopefully Ch7 keep the clowns from their footy coverage away from their cricket coverage, that would be a good start.

Got a feeling Bruce, Basil, BT and co will bob up on their cricket coverage at some stage though.

Boy oh boy WOWWWEEEEEEE that's a cracker! Finch has smashed that and they've all got around him. It's on right here, there's plenty left in this innings! One more goal will get them right back in this match! I can't wait to interview him while I roam the change rooms. Llllloooyyyddddd....

Abbey Gelmi is beautiful, funny and presents so well. Articulate and a breath of fresh air to cricket

cable-satellite-female-news-reporters-981729.jpg

Truckosaurus

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 19, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
He does a fine job of it on the radio. Hopefully he and Alison Mitchell don't get the two mediums mixed up.

On the radio coverage of the Remembrance Day ODI, he said Hansie Cronje was captaining South Africa. Given he's been dead for 20 years, I think we have to assume dementia has set in and Tim's slowly regressing back to childhood.

PT Bar None

Banal Chaos
Cake Connoisseur
Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I don’t understand why tv stations think Fleming is good value. He is terribly unfunny and it’s the same rubbish over and over again.

I've got him in the same pile as Danny Frawley. Thought he was fun initially but we've just been getting the greatest hits CD on shuffle for years now.

Created a character to break out of the herd, and now trapped by it.

Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Boy oh boy WOWWWEEEEEEE that's a cracker! Finch has smashed that and they've all got around him. It's on right here, there's plenty left in this innings! One more goal will get them right back in this match! I can't wait to interview him while I roam the change rooms. Llllloooyyyddddd....
"Kagiso Rabaaaaaaaaada"

"The bowler bowls a bouncer and he says "I'm Mitchell Marsh""

Back