Meet Up 2018 Social Club function

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty ho hum average evening really, usual Hillier questions to only one player on stage, Duryea when he was there with new recruits. Would have been good if he asked West or Smith something at least

Then the usual panel interview with Trengrove Hunter and Bevo but no hard hitting or insightful questions

Most players were there at some stage which was good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, it was a bit of a let down to be honest. There doesn’t seem to be much energy or thought put into the night, same stale format, when they could do so much more. For instance be more interactive with the supporters around questions to the players and even Bevo.

I left after Bevo’s talk.

Oh and a hot dog or a cheese burger - really!!!

Im not sure why the club bothers when its pretty clear that they're just throwing us SC members a bone. Even though I had nothing better to do tonight, I knew I wouldn't bother with it as its invariably a cheap, interminably dull, half arsed and just an all-round terrible ******* night out*. The mind boggles at what the players who are forced to attend must think of it. Apparently not much going by the above.

Rah! Rah!

*2016 was ok.

Ordinary night. pretty disrespectful to the Premiership Women's team.
I left after the Bevo interview. No mention of the women's team being recognized later, just introducing the new recruits.
Strange post. You thought the night was disrespectful for the Women's team but you left before their segment?

I thought it was ok. Players were a little more accessible this year, but nothing like pre 2015 where you could walk up and chat for however long you wanted to. It's hard on the kids when they have to queue up to get a photo and the club officials come in and cut the line off with two people left in it with "the players will have to be here all night line" when all they did was go up on stage stand as a group and leave - exit stage right.

I had high hopes being in the Carvery, but alas, nothing more than a hot dog or cheeseburger (at least it was an upgrade on the pie last year)

Agree that Kev Hillier was a but bland, hope Danny is back for the regular season

I think my fave line (ok I might have inferred it, but hey) was when Dureaya went up to speak to KH, and said are we sharing a microphone? I added, at Hawthorn we got one each.

Good to catch up with my GF seat buddy Jaxie and also Draft Pick.

I've done my utmost to tell as many players that Vandermeer should be called Latex and there was a bit of love for it too....we will wait and see.

Oh and if you didn't know, Moz is awesome

Well done to the club on the night.
I really enjoyed it - chatted to a couple of the players and coaches.

Interviews and guests - Terrific
Free Burger, Beer and IceCream - Terrific

$10 for a burger, $8.20 for a Carlton Draught - WWWWHHHHHHAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT !!!!!!!!!!!!

Kevin Hillier is back in MC role. Safe, a bit boring though. Prefer Danny.

Totally on the other side of this.
Actually got some decent questions answered and interviews were longer and worth going for.
I didn't go last year specifically as I was aware McGinlay was MC'ing.

Totally on the other side of this.
Actually got some decent questions answered and interviews were longer and worth going for.
I didn't go last year specifically as I was aware McGinlay was MC'ing.
Fair enough, different views of stuff is what makes the world an interesting place.
Yes the interview chats went a fair while, but they didn't unearth any information that I wasn't already aware of. The only new insights that I gained were to do with Bevo's and other's plans for their facial hair!

The interview process was overall "safe" and a bit underwhelming for me.

Fair enough, different views of stuff is what makes the world an interesting place.
Yes the interview chats went a fair while, but they didn't unearth any information that I wasn't already aware of. The only new insights that I gained were to do with Bevo's and other's plans for their facial hair!

The interview process was overall "safe" and a bit underwhelming for me.

Yeh while I appreciated Dannys banner work - I really dont find him funny outside that format so with him I get zero.
I used to cringe with his segments on channel 7 game day.

But to the interview content - Hey its the AFL - everything is safe ! Dont reckon that will ever change. Even when you talk to the players one on one they are like that - they arent suddenly going to tell a room of 1000 plus something extra they wouldn't say in other interviews.

Trengrove spoke well I thought and didnt play safe - He could have just said he wants to play wherever the coach wants him to but was clear on where he wanted to play Ruck/Fwd and where he thought he added most value to the side. They probably protected the new recruits too much Id agree there. Went with the most experienced in Dureya.

But Beveridge gave some depth - he clearly isnt happy about the lack of runners in 2019 and suggested that he would be looking for to on field coaches rather than leaders next year to take the reigns and somewhat have them make coaching moves in play where coaches are unable to anymore.

Then the interview with the AFLW girls was lovely I thought - they havent been trained like the males.
Thought Tess Boyd interview was lovely - and then the interview with the Irish lady (sorry name escapes me) was nice too.

Pretty ho hum average evening really, usual Hillier questions to only one player on stage, Duryea when he was there with new recruits. Would have been good if he asked West or Smith something at least

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We could have had another microphone as well, sharing mics was very amateurish.

We could have had another microphone as well, sharing mics was very amateurish.
There were plenty of microphones when Bevo/Hunter/Trengove were all on stage together. But only one microphone when the new recruits were up there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember the very first Social Club Christmas party, is was not so “staged” players mingled freely with the guests and there was finger food, much nicer than a hot dog or pie.

Probably the biggest cost to the night would have been renting the room, we should be holding these events at Whitten Oval.

I remember the very first Social Club Christmas party, is was not so “staged” players mingled freely with the guests and there was finger food, much nicer than a hot dog or pie.

Probably the biggest cost to the night would have been renting the room, we should be holding these events at Whitten Oval.
Which year was the first? I've been to every one since I think 2010, were they happening before that?

It is what it is. Put on by the club at no additional cost to the member. Been to the last few including last night but that will be my last unless it changes.

Like the idea of Whitten oval facilities, bbq, a beer or 2 and plenty of opportunities for kids and kids at heart to meet the players as well as more in depth interviews of all new players, recruiter, coach for both mens and womens team.

Cant keep everyone happy though

Well done to the club on the night.
I really enjoyed it - chatted to a couple of the players and coaches.

Interviews and guests - Terrific
Free Burger, Beer and IceCream - Terrific

$10 for a burger, $8.20 for a Carlton Draught - WWWWHHHHHHAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT !!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes I forgot about he $8.20 for the Carlton Draught...two rounds and I could have bought a slab. That was an insane rip off. $6 would have been appropriate

It was an improvement on the few that I went to in the past, I stopped after 2012 or thereabouts I reckon. Marginally better in terms of organisation, better room, easier to hear etc. Could do with a bit more interaction or deeper insight, just a little bit too bland on that front.

Glad I went. Am inclined to make an effort in the future and give it another go.

But Beveridge gave some depth - he clearly isnt happy about the lack of runners in 2019 and suggested that he would be looking for to on field coaches rather than leaders next year to take the reigns and somewhat have them make coaching moves in play where coaches are unable to anymore.
Isn't that what Richmond did, let the players decide where they could be of the most benefit? Getting the players to take ownership of the game plan when appropriate sounds good to me.

I wonder if Bevo has developed a narrative for next season, a "storyline" like the one that drove 2015-16. I think I recall he said he was stumped at the beginning of this year, so it wasn't just the players.

Which year was the first? I've been to every one since I think 2010, were they happening before that?

Based on the fact that I remember talking to Zephie Skinner who had just been drafted, I would say it was 2010. It was the first I think, we lined up outside for ages.

It was very informal, the players just mingled with the crowd, chatting. I don’t remember too many speeches, but Rocket would have been coach and Smorgo President. You drank wine out of a glass and there were platters of finger food going around, which would get swarmed by the hungry crowd. It was great.

I was planning to go, but gave it a miss due to a bad bout of the man-flu.
Based on previous years I knew I wasn't missing anything. Good on the club for putting something on for the SC members, but it's really not worth the effort to get there after a long day at work.

Hadn't been for a few years and went hoping the format would be a bit more interesting and entertaining. Not much has changed and the speeches and interviews were predictable. I would think some attendees would see the merit in meeting new recruits and other players but there was nothing you couldn't see or hear on the WB website. Being the sort of person who would rather leave the players alone, I only observed from a distance. I'll give it a miss for another few years unless something new is included.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back