Fourth Test team

Remove this Banner Ad

So wait, how do you go from being made VC and promoted to #4 to being dropped in the space of two tests? Has there been a dramatic change in opinions on Mitch Marsh recently or did Langer just not get his way this time?

I wouldn't be surprised if the media criticism of Mitch Marsh recently played a part in him being dropped, if he failed again they would have gone to town on the selectors, if Handscomb fails there won't be as much of a media outcry as there is less attention on him.

Didn't they change what it meant to be VC anyway?

Its now meant to be a good bloke the skipper can talk to rather than the one they think is next in line for the captaincy, it's not the worst idea as often you get toxic leadership groups such as warne/waugh and smith/warner, some people just aren't good at being 2nd in command either give them all the power or none.

We love to lay the boot in to the selectors for all the wrong choices they make (not hard with how many they do make) but i think they got this team pretty close to spot on.

I think Burns should be in the squad but and not furious that he was left out, have been of the opinion for a couple years now that we are better off going in with 6 batsman if we don't have a test level all rounder and we have finally done it. I think this team has what it takes to be competitive at home against India and can't wait for tomorrow.

Last edited:
Pretty comfortable with that line up. I think we've managed to pick the best 6 batsman in the country at the minute.

Not that comfortable about Finch opening, but there probably isn't a way we can get that batting order perfect with those 6. It's a real shame Renshaw went to water again when there were spots up for grabs.

I'm very confident in our bowling attack, I think as long as the wicket offers a bit for the bowler there is no need for the fifth bowler and Head is more than capable of bowling a few overs when the others need a rest.

Bloody excited about cricket finally starting tomorrow!!

Not as if Tremain couldn't come in if a bowler needs a rest anyway. Also have Jackson Bird. Why do we need a so called A/R to bowl 3-4 overs an innings?

Possibly soon enough Jhye Richardson could replace starc if he gets injured too, so plenty of options

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best side we could have picked from the squad. Burns opening instead of Finch would be better but I’ll take this. I don’t expect Finch to do very well.

Selectors better give Head and Handscomb a decent amount of rope but I wont be surprised at all if they go back to Mitch “22 tests before doing anything of note” Marsh straight away if there aren’t immediate results from those two.

Last edited:
Dropping Mitch Marsh, I personally hope for the last time. I'd like it to be a reflection on selection by merit not by name of potential. One innings wonders don't make test cricketers. For a while there Shaun Marsh hardly looked a test cricketer.

Just wonder if the goals of the sheffield shield competition isn't quite geared towards putting the best of the best test cricketers out there.

Glad to see MM out of the side. Seems a nice bloke, but please, enough is enough.

Will the pitch be a road? If so, I like Australia's chances. That bowling attack is still pure class.

Any movement through the air or off the pitch, and that batting lineup looks suspect.

Surely CA will have the pitches doctored to the shizenhousen and we'll see flat concrete from Day One.

Again we're see the absurdity of suspending the Shield for the best part of the summer, Marsh is going to try to get a recall to the Test side via the BBL. Then we complain about batsmen not being able to build innings.

It's pretty bad. Go back 15-20 years and the SS was a cricket factory, with potentially dozens of test cricket level players not even getting a chance because of the no of good players in the system.

BBL has been the worst advent for cricket, it's lead to so much greed in cricket, rather than players returning to the shield in between internationals like they did 10 years ago.

It's pretty bad. Go back 15-20 years and the SS was a cricket factory, with potentially dozens of test cricket level players not even getting a chance because of the no of good players in the system.

BBL has been the worst advent for cricket, it's lead to so much greed in cricket, rather than players returning to the shield in between internationals like they did 10 years ago.
The BBL isn't the major factor in my view - we have a systemic problem with producing batsmen now.

I have been arguing for about five years at least now that we need to pick six Teat batters.

The problem at the moment is none of those six batters can really bowl. In Australian cricket we have pretty much always had one top bat who can bowl. This is what we need to encourage in future batsmen. To add another skill to their repertoire.

I have been arguing for about five years at least now that we need to pick six Teat batters.

The problem at the moment is none of those six batters can really bowl. In Australian cricket we have pretty much always had one top bat who can bowl. This is what we need to encourage in future batsmen. To add another skill to their repertoire.
Head's offies are respectable enough to give someone a chop out. As horrid as it is Finch as a Left arm orthodox does give you some variety if you are desperate. They should only ever be viewed giving a chop out. If you don't have a genuine all rounder (ie someone who can command a spot with at least one discipline) you don't just put someone in an hope in my view. Mitch Marsh has had plenty of time to establish himself as a test batsman who can fill a few overs, he hasn't and that's why he's lost his spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back