Training 2019 Preseason

May 20, 2015
Maleny, Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
an internet troll is a member of an online social community who deliberately tries to disrupt, attack, offend or generally cause trouble within the community by posting certain comments, photos, videos, ??GIFs or some other form of online content.

Can we get back to football, please? I don't give a flying f&*# what you people eat I want to talk Lions.

powerakablacvos

Draftee
Oct 19, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The only way I can get the protein I need is if I gave those great big steroid enhanced battery farmed chicken breasts. By the bucket full.

It's them or my gains man.

Some say the reason for those great big "enhanced battery farmed chicken breasts" is years of farming experience, plus faster growth rate and higher feed-to-meat ratio!
Sadly, not the steroids, but just a fat fetish!

Oct 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
Ill try to get away from the food discussion and just add a couple of random thoughts.

Finally think I'll be able to add a few more Lions to my 2019 supercoach team. Think Bez could be a real smokey. Looks fit, strong and hungrier than ever. Great to see him leading the running. Would be great of champion data gave bonus points for good character and leadership. If so, he would be one of the highest priced selections! New recruit Neale is obviously on the radar for a coveted mid spot and Ely Smith could be a nice bench option as a rookie with a mature body.

Heard Fages on SEN after work and he was asked which players to look out for next season. The first player he mentioned was Zac Bailey. Said that he loves his explosive break away speed and his best game was the final game of the season, where he polled coaches votes from both sides. I think he will get plenty of game time this year and entrench himself in our best 22. One of the players on our list that I am the most excited about. Could really add another dimension to either our midfield or back 6. Also mentioned that Starc and Fullerton were tracking along nicely as well. Exciting to hear.

Terry Wallace also made the comment that as a parent, you would be extremely happy for your son to be coached by a person like Chris Fagen. Geez I have a lot of man love for that bloke.

I say this every year, but can't wait for next season! #Uncaged.

Nov 4, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Sorry Bro but no steroids or hormones in chicken and haven't been for decades. Need more tofu to bulk up

Some say the reason for those great big "enhanced battery farmed chicken breasts" is years of farming experience, plus faster growth rate and higher feed-to-meat ratio!
Sadly, not the steroids, but just a fat fetish!

Guys I'm trying to affect an ignorant, selfish loudmouth vibe here.

giphy.gif

Tassie4ever

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Hawthorn
I agree strongly with Fagan's observation re Zac Bailey. I was very impressed with his run and carry off HB. Basically a revelation TBH.

If Cox can hit his straps as well, look out!!!

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Ill try to get away from the food discussion and just add a couple of random thoughts.

Finally think I'll be able to add a few more Lions to my 2019 supercoach team. Think Bez could be a real smokey. Looks fit, strong and hungrier than ever. Great to see him leading the running. Would be great of champion data gave bonus points for good character and leadership. If so, he would be one of the highest priced selections! New recruit Neale is obviously on the radar for a coveted mid spot and Ely Smith could be a nice bench option as a rookie with a mature body.

Heard Fages on SEN after work and he was asked which players to look out for next season. The first player he mentioned was Zac Bailey. Said that he loves his explosive break away speed and his best game was the final game of the season, where he polled coaches votes from both sides. I think he will get plenty of game time this year and entrench himself in our best 22. One of the players on our list that I am the most excited about. Could really add another dimension to either our midfield or back 6. Also mentioned that Starc and Fullerton were tracking along nicely as well. Exciting to hear.

Terry Wallace also made the comment that as a parent, you would be extremely happy for your son to be coached by a person like Chris Fagen. Geez I have a lot of man love for that bloke.

I say this every year, but can't wait for next season! #Uncaged.

Does anyone have a link to that interview? On the SEN site looks like the drive podcast audio stopped last week with KB & the Doc's last day.

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
So I phoned the club at around Midday today in the hope that training would be back at Yeronga again this afternoon. Reasonably handy for me at that location.

Nope.....bleeding Brendale again. Not an option for me.......would need a cut lunch :(

It's weird because a couple of weeks ago they told me that all training sessions until the Christmas break were at Yeronga but today couldn't tell me the reason for the shift to Brendale:huh:

Oh well.

A fellow supporter has since told me there will be an open session at Yeronga maybe next Wednesday.

Going to phone the Club again tomorrow to check.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Went down to training this morning at Yeronga and watched the first 90 minutes or so.

1) Virtually full squad opposed full field possession/transition drills. Lots of basic drills in general, as usual a lot of non dominant side kicking and hand balling.
2) First time I've seen Ely Smith in person and the photos are accurate, he's a bloody big boy.
3) Tom Joyce and Tom Berry working by themselves doing stability drills and laps.
4) Charlie Cameron did the full field drills so must be very close to 100%, he is so fast and just glides over the ground, seemingly effortlessly. Marcus Adams did the full field stuff as well and did some good things.
5) I heard one of the trainers tell Nick Robertson to do a 20 minute high intensity bike session with Connor McFadyen.
6) Very upbeat and happy group, lots of talk, Mitch Robinson stands out with the talk and encouragement.
7) Chris Fagan doesn't have much to do with the instruction/teaching, he just sits back and watches and leaves it in the hands of his assistants.
8) They all looked good but the ones that stood out for me in the full field drills were, Allen Christensen, Mitch Robinson, Josh Walker, Charlie "lightning" Cameron, Dayne Zorko, Lewy Taylor to name a few.
9) Lachie Neale is short but very solidly built, tree trunk thighs, can see why he is hard to knock off the ball.

Can not wait for season 2019, lots of competition for spots in the first 22, for the first time in a long while there will be some hard selection decisions and some unlucky boys playing in the NEAFL, great signs.

Lions Flag 2020

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Went down to training this morning at Yeronga and watched the first 90 minutes or so.

1) Virtually full squad opposed full field possession/transition drills. Lots of basic drills in general, as usual a lot of non dominant side kicking and hand balling.
2) First time I've seen Ely Smith in person and the photos are accurate, he's a bloody big boy.
3) Tom Joyce and Tom Berry working by themselves doing stability drills and laps.
4) Charlie Cameron did the full field drills so must be very close to 100%, he is so fast and just glides over the ground, seemingly effortlessly. Marcus Adams did the full field stuff as well and did some good things.
5) I heard one of the trainers tell Nick Robertson to do a 20 minute high intensity bike session with Connor McFadyen.
6) Very upbeat and happy group, lots of talk, Mitch Robinson stands out with the talk and encouragement.
7) Chris Fagan doesn't have much to do with the instruction/teaching, he just sits back and watches and leaves it in the hands of his assistants.
8) They all looked good but the ones that stood out for me in the full field drills were, Allen Christensen, Mitch Robinson, Josh Walker, Charlie "lightning" Cameron, Dayne Zorko, Lewy Taylor to name a few.
9) Lachie Neale is short but very solidly built, tree trunk thighs, can see why he is hard to knock off the ball.

Can not wait for season 2019, lots of competition for spots in the first 22, for the first time in a long while there will be some hard selection decisions and some unlucky boys playing in the NEAFL, great signs.
Thanks Jason. Great report.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

The bit l like the most is Fagan just leaving it in the hands of the assistants. This is basically what happened in Hawthorn. All the coaches are on the same page and know exactly what to do. This is where Leppa went wrong, he tried to do everything himself and got burnt out. It also allows our assistant coaches to really develop their careers as they are allowed to run the session as the should.

Looks like the coaches are using Robbo as a trainer almost getting the guys up to fitness. Fantastic, hopefully he can have a few guys over the offseason train with him like last season with Matho.

Back