Opinion WB BigFooty Consensus Best 22: Which 4 players make up our starting onballers (3 + 1 ruck)

2.Change poll question to: "Which four players make up our starting onball unit? (1 ruck, 3 onballer

• Jackson Trengove

• Tom Boyd

• Tim English

• Mitch Wallis

• Marcus Bontempelli

• Josh Dunkley

• Toby McLean

• Lukas Webb

• Tom Liberatore

• Bailey Williams

• Caleb Daniel

• Liam Picken

• Lin Jong

• Billy Gowers

• Lachie Hunter

• Bailey Smith

• Rhylee West

• Jackson Macrae

Results are only viewable after voting.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bont and Macrae arent in 100% of votes? Boy oh Boy
I left him out because I feel we're a better side with him up forward (and rotating through the middle).

With Libba coming back, we have Dunkley, Libba, Macrae and McLean, as well as having Williams and potentially Smith rotating through. Don't feel like we really need Bont there full time anymore

Bont and Macrae arent in 100% of votes? Boy oh Boy

Maybe thats because Macrae wasn't in the initial poll.

I have him pencilled in for a wing, but thats just a contrivance due to the nature of mid-field rotations in the modern game.

Although necessary for this exercise we really shouldn't get hung up on set positions.

The Original Swooper

Premiership Player
Mar 11, 2007
3rd house on the left
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
OFC FC
I didn’t include Bont (fwd) Macrae (w) Hunter (w) or Maclean (fwd). I want my silk on the outside, so opted for see ball, get ball types for the opening bounce. (Libba, Dunks, Williams). Let’s face it, with the fluid rotations of modern footy, high hf’s, attacking hb’s, the old concept of a set 4 pack mids is redundant. So to make a decision I used the centre bounce as their starting positions.

Dazb86

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I basically went with the set up I'd pick if we were 5 points down with a minute to go in a game and there was a centre bounce.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Grand Sale (The Clearance 2018)
CENTRE:
Macrae 38
McLean 37
Bontempelli 37
Wallis 25
Dahlhaus (*) 21
Dunkley 21
Roughead (*) 10
Hunter 10
Trengove 10
Boyd 8

STOPPAGE:
Macrae 79
McLean 52
Bontempelli 49
Hunter 41
Wallis 39
Dunkley 29
Dahlhaus (*) 28
Johannisen 22
Trengove 21
Daniel 19

Best ruck right now: Trengove
Dunkley releases Bonti to the outside and they've spent all pre-pre-season training together, they're paired.
Macrae is a freak and is third.

Libba and Mclean as next option is more than handy from a rotation point of view with Bailey Williams next in line, contributions from Wallis / West / Smith as forwards who can provide a chop-out.
Hunter / Richards I prefer as starting wings.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The Kings Of Clearance (Top player from each team: Total)

Rank 1- Hawthorn Tom Mitchell 24 Games 191 Clearances (7.96) Average.
Rank 2- Carlton Patrick Cripps 22 Games 170 Clearances (7.73) Average.
Rank 3- Melbourne Clayton Oliver 25 Games 164 Clearances (6.56) Average.
Rank 4- GWS Callan Ward 24 Games 160 Clearances (6.67) Average.
Rank 5- Fremantle Lachie Neale 22 Games 156 Clearances (7.09) Average. (Traded to Bris)
Rank 6- Collingwood Taylor Adams 23 Games 146 Clearances (6.35) Average.
Rank 7- North Melbourne Ben Cunnington 22 Games 146 Clearances (6.64) Average.
Rank 8- Sydney Josh P Kennedy 23 Games 139 Clearances (6.04) Average.

Rank 9- Gold Coast Jarryd Lyons 19 Games 138 Clearances (7.26) Average. (Traded to Bris)
Rank 10- West Coast Luke Shuey 20 Games 131 Clearances (6.55) Average.
Rank 11- Port Adelaide Oliver Wines 22 Games 127 Clearances (5.77) Average.
Rank 12- Richmond Dustin Martin 23 Games 124 Clearances (5.39) Average.
Rank 13- Geelong Joel Selwood 23 Games 120 Clearances (5.22) Average.
Rank 14- St Kilda Jack Steven 22 Games 118 Clearances (5.36) Average.
Rank 15- Brisbane Dayne Beams 21 Games 117 Clearances (5.57) Average. (Traded to Coll)
Rank 16- Western Bulldogs Jackson Macrae 19 Games 117 Clearances (6.16) Average.
Rank 17- Adelaide Bryce Gibbs 22 Games 113 Clearances (5.14) Average.
Rank 18- Essendon Dyson Heppell 22 Games 107 Clearances (4.86) Average.

Brodie Grundy (10th), Stefan Martin (24th), Jarrod Witts (49th) and Toby Nankervis (55th) were
the only rucks in the top 64 players. Collingwood and GWS had five players each in the top 64
players, Bulldogs had three Macrae, McLean and Bontempelli only one over the ton.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We missed Libba a lot last year. If he plays the full season he's good for 20 goals and a lot of assists.
Tom Liberatore- 117 Games, 39 Goals and 47 Goal Assists. I had a dream about a Gowers, Wallis, Liberatore and Boyd led
forward line, but it was not a good dream people were throwing stones at a trampoline.

Oct 12, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I suppose it depends on how we want to play. A forward line full of contested midfielders could be ok if we just grubber it in and lock it down. (Feels like we'd have been better off doing that the last 2 years). But ultimately I'm pretty sure Bevo would prefer quick clean forward movement and goals. And that requires forwards (or at least mids with v good forwad skills).

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
On-ball voting is now finished, with the following outcome:

C: x - M. Bontempelli (101 votes) - x

R: J. Trengove (61 votes) - T. Liberatore (61 votes) - J. Macrae (86 votes)

Vice captain Marcus Bontempelli unsurprisingly takes his place for the fourth year running, with a commanding 95.3% of the votes. Joining him in the fourth successive appearance club are Jackson Macrae and Tom Liberatore, with 81.1% and 57.5% of voters selecting them, respectively. This trio saw off competition from Josh Dunkley (46 votes, 43.4%) and Toby McLean (23 votes, 21.7%).

Leading our ruck division in 2019 is Jackson Trengove (61 votes, 57.5%), who features for the second year in a row despite transitioning from full back to the ruck. If votes are anything to go by, however, he will have some competition this year: he narrowly edged out young gun Tim English, who was voted in by 42 voters - 39.6% of those who participated.

There was only one change to the 2018 team, with Jordan Roughead (traded) no longer our first ruck.

I'll ask for the poll to be updated for wingmen ASAP. Once it is changed, please vote for two wingmen.

Triple Baileys

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
On-ballers: Hi Dan, I have gone for Jackson Trengove, Jackson Macrae, Josh Dunkley and Bailey Williams.

Some of my reasons are: I would like to see the Bont in a center forward role, Tom Liberatore is coming back from a serious injury, Toby McLean and others will get around 50% of the midfielder time anyway changing from the forward line or the bench.

Apr 4, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
On-ballers: Hi Dan, I have gone for Jackson Trengove, Jackson Macrae, Josh Dunkley and Bailey Williams.

Some of my reasons are: I would like to see the Bont in a center forward role, Tom Liberatore is coming back from a serious injury, Toby McLean and others will get around 50% of the midfielder time anyway changing from the forward line or the bench.

Feel like top tier midfielders need a bull/contested beast and that lineup is severely lacking. Libba's a walk-up start into our mids for mine.

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Feel like top tier midfielders need a bull/contested beast and that lineup is severely lacking. Libba's a walk-up start into our mids for mine.

Agree. Bont, Macrae, Libba starting.
McLean, Dunkley next line then Williams, Daniel, Jong if needed.

I think our top five mids are highly underrated. 3 top tier A graders and two future A Graders who could even become that this year.

Triple Baileys

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

I was only taking into account that Tommy Libba is returning from injury. If he's ready for the centre 80% of the game, round 1, bring it on.

Triple Baileys

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Reply #2: Look here, Leo, I also consider that Macrae and Dunkley are bull/contested beasts. They dig out the buried ball, they strip it out of the possession of the opposition, they get the possession out while being tackled by three opponents, they stick the in close tackles as soon as their opponents grab the pill. They're big lads who give no quarter.

Apr 4, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Reply #2: Look here, Leo, I also consider that Macrae and Dunkley are bull/contested beasts. They dig out the buried ball, they strip it out of the possession of the opposition, they get the possession out while being tackled by three opponents, they stick the in close tackles as soon as their opponents grab the pill. They're big lads who give no quarter.

Not sold on that side of Dunks' game. Macrae isn't an exceptionally hard tackler either.

Back