2019 planning

Remove this Banner Ad

With the China game no longer having a stand-alone bye, the players in that game (Power-Saints) are certainly more attractive than previous seasons.

With the China game no longer having a stand-alone bye, the players in that game (Power-Saints) are certainly more attractive than previous seasons.

In some ways, but they were useful options to be considered after the bye.

Although, I did make plans for certain players and then they weren’t selected and it did mess me around a bit....

Some pluses and some minuses....

Been playing round with some numbers on starting with $1m in the bank, basically 2 less premo's and 2 extra rooks.
If you assume that two teams had identical players and the scoring difference between a premo and a rook was 50 points a week, then the team with the $1m in the bank would take until rd 6 to get the same amount of premo's as the other, then have 2 extra premo's from rd 8 on until both teams are completed.
This also assumes certain price rises etc. But with so many rooks looking like playing rd1 it could mean an extra $500k to play with by rd 6.

Another season where almost everyone is going to have the same team. I think they should make the salary cap much smaller and let the real pro's stand out. Everyone will have dangerfield, Mitchell and Docherty. A lot of people will have Merrett. and then just pick your favourite premo's.

Anyway, I think people should shed some light on their own team. As a melb supporter, Oliver and Brayshaw are the standouts. Oliver has had 2 shoulder ops in the pre-season but to me that means he will be injury free heading into next season. Brayshaw won't get tagged. Not with Viney coming back into the team.

Harmes could go to a new level. Averaged 105.7 over his last 7 games.

I'm not too fussed about Preuss affecting Gawn. Melbourne should be pretty good next season and Gawn forward may help him pump out some even bigger scores.

Hore and Sparrow are the picks of our new recruits to make a splash.

Another season where almost everyone is going to have the same team. I think they should make the salary cap much smaller and let the real pro's stand out. Everyone will have dangerfield, Mitchell and Docherty. A lot of people will have Merrett. and then just pick your favourite premo's.

Anyway, I think people should shed some light on their own team. As a melb supporter, Oliver and Brayshaw are the standouts. Oliver has had 2 shoulder ops in the pre-season but to me that means he will be injury free heading into next season. Brayshaw won't get tagged. Not with Viney coming back into the team.

I'm not too fussed about Preuss affecting Gawn. Melbourne should be pretty good next season and Gawn forward may help him pump out some even bigger scores.

I’m really liking the look of Brayshaw, and as you said, people will have similar teams so I love taking a POD for that reason. I also really like Oliver as an option but slightly leaning towards Brayshaw due to being less likely to get tagged

Well my team will look a lot different to yours!!
Not starting with Mitchell or a single Melbourne player!!
I will probably trade Mitchell in pretty early but I think he'll only just crack 100 against Essendon and Adelaide.

I will probably trade Mitchell in pretty early but I think he'll only just crack 100 against Essendon and Adelaide.
You must own a crystal ball

Stopped taking you seriously when you said no mitchell. lol

Not as silly as it seems I don’t think. Going to take some willpower to do it though.
Definitely not silly. You are paying a premium for the value of a safe captain selection. However, given Macrae’s scores in the middle of the season pre-injury you could mount a case that he is undervalued, in which case he’d be both a captain option AND add value to the team.

Unless of course you are taking both Titch and Crae. In which case I’d be interested to see the rest of the team!

My Team

Blakely
Docherty
Z.Williams
Brodie Smith
Birchall/Jordan Clark/Rozee
S.Collins

Scrimshaw
G Logue

A.Brayshaw
Z.Merrett
M.Crouch
L.Neale
D.Martin
B.Crouch
D.Hannebery
Joe Atley

B.Bewley
Nick Hind

Westhoff
Kreuzer

S.Draper
J.Sweet

Dangerfield
Dunkley
Heeney
Setterfield
J.Corbett
B.Cavarra

S.Mcaddam
M.Parker

What im looking at right now

Plenty of good players i cant fit in especially down back like a few smokeys there

Lack of captain ia the issue. Will take some balls. Always been a huge believer of picking the highslest avg player as the lock and load captain every year. Nothing worse than picking a guy like Brayshaw, Zerrett, Crouch, Neale only for them to get tagged and kept to 60-70 a few of those put you way back.

So whether i have the balls come lockout... unsure

Last edited:
My Team

Blakely
Docherty
Z.Williams
Brodie Smith
S.Collins

Scrimshaw
G Logue

A.Brayshaw
Z.Merrett
M.Crouch
L.Neale
D.Martin
B.Crouch
D.Hannebery
Joe Atley

B.Bewley
Nick Hind

Westhoff
Kreuzer

S.Draper
J.Sweet

Dangerfield
Dunkley
Heeney
Setterfield
J.Corbett
B.Cavarra

S.Mcaddam
M.Parker

Plenty of good players i cant fit in especially down back like a few smokeys there

Lack of captain ia the issue. Will take some balls. Always been a huge believer of picking the highslest avg player as the lock and load captain every year. Nothing worse than picking a guy like Brayshaw, Zerrett, Crouch, Neale only for them to get tagged and kept to 60-70 a few of those put you way back.

Love the Dusty pick, people are writing him off as a fantasy option after a down year by his standards. He had a lot of niggles and sat forward a lot. In ripping Knick, reckon he’s huge value. Will get back to 105-110 and priced at 93

I’m going Brayshaw too I think. How confident are you that he backs it up?

Matt Crouch to be a top 5 mid next year I feel

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love the Dusty pick, people are writing him off as a fantasy option after a down year by his standards. He had a lot of niggles and sat forward a lot. In ripping Knick, reckon he’s huge value. Will get back to 105-110 and priced at 93

I’m going Brayshaw too I think. How confident are you that he backs it up?

Matt Crouch to be a top 5 mid next year I feel

Brayshaw is my lease confident midfielder picked only due to the potential of increased attention with tags. We saw he struggled last emyear with a few of them. Youd think Olivers still the number 1 tag target for opposition clubs bu they may opt to put more attention into the outside type of Brayshaw as it has more of an impact

Exactly what people thought with Mitchell last season. He proved them wrong. Basically nobody hard tags in the opening month of football.

My Team

Blakely
Docherty
Z.Williams
Brodie Smith
S.Collins

Scrimshaw
G Logue

A.Brayshaw
Z.Merrett
M.Crouch
L.Neale
D.Martin
B.Crouch
D.Hannebery
Joe Atley

B.Bewley
Nick Hind

Westhoff
Kreuzer

S.Draper
J.Sweet

Dangerfield
Dunkley
Heeney
Setterfield
J.Corbett
B.Cavarra

S.Mcaddam
M.Parker

Easy picking apart someone else's team but:
* Brodie Smith is too mid price and he's never been a big advise a scorer. I'd prefer a rookie or premium.
* Starting without Grundy seems like a mistake
* 1 too many premiums in the midfield
* Joe Atley is an inside midfielder. I can't see him commanding a starting spot over Wines, SPP, Rocky, Boak. I'm sure another router will popup in preseason though.

Easy picking apart someone else's team but:
* Brodie Smith is too mid price and he's never been a big advise a scorer. I'd prefer a rookie or premium.
* Starting without Grundy seems like a mistake
* 1 too many premiums in the midfield
* Joe Atley is an inside midfielder. I can't see him commanding a starting spot over Wines, SPP, Rocky, Boak. I'm sure another router will popup in preseason though.

Brodie Smith - I do have similar concerns. Id probably prefer to have another midpricer like A.Miles in the middle and add a more expensive rookie like J.Clark/Rozee to Birchall so have 2 of the 3. Brodie amiths good for a 15pt improvement and could be 20 IMO

Grundy - Yeh i just cant afford him. He would be a good captain option. He was in my side prior to hearing of Hoffs ruck status.

Joe Atley - I see in quite a few Port best 22s right now. Port loseing Polec and Wingard opens up some doors potentialy for mids.

But thanks constructive criticsm is always appreciated

Brodie Smith - I do have similar concerns. Id probably prefer to have another midpricer like A.Miles in the middle and add a more expensive rookie like J.Clark/Rozee to Birchall so have 2 of the 3. Brodie amiths good for a 15pt improvement and could be 20 IMO

Grundy - Yeh i just cant afford him. He would be a good captain option. He was in my side prior to hearing of Hoffs ruck status.

Joe Atley - I see in quite a few Port best 22s right now. Port loseing Polec and Wingard opens up some doors potentialy for mids.

But thanks constructive criticsm is always appreciated
Burton, Hartlett, Lycett need to come into that best 22, so at best I see him as emergency.

Birchall I think average/shoess the same as Smith and probably cheaper with 2 seasons out of the game. Certainly worth a look.

I'm not so keen on Miles or Horlin-Smith even with their new opportunities. Miles at best is a 90av mid in the AFL, so his selection for me will be compared to that mark.

Again though opportunity for mature players at gold coast will be questionable. They didn't play Barlow last season because they developed kids. They'll do it again - Brodie, Fiorini, Bowes, Miller, Weller, Swallow... Won't be as many spots up for grabs as people think.

Another that people are overlooking are Atkins from Geelong. 5 years ono the cats VFL graduate system, look at Tom Stewart.

Burton, Hartlett, Lycett need to come into that best 22, so at best I see him as emergency.

Birchall I think average/shoess the same as Smith and probably cheaper with 2 seasons out of the game. Certainly worth a look.

I'm not so keen on Miles or Horlin-Smith even with their new opportunities. Miles at best is a 90av mid in the AFL, so his selection for me will be compared to that mark.

Again though opportunity for mature players at gold coast will be questionable. They didn't play Barlow last season because they developed kids. They'll do it again - Brodie, Fiorini, Bowes, Miller, Weller, Swallow... Won't be as many spots up for grabs as people think.

Another that people are overlooking are Atkins from Geelong. 5 years ono the cats VFL graduate system, look at Tom Stewart.

Yeh i had Atkins then swapped him out. Rookies are rookies. Atkins probably has a tougher fight for a spot at Geelong then say a Bewley at fremantle or Hind at Stkilda both sides in a worse position. Geelong may need a small fwd though. Although theyve added Dalhaus, G.Rohan. Narkle, Fogarty and Cockatoo didnt play in the final either.

Im not really interested in Miles. Change it to Liberatore thats just who i could think of at the time.

Can see the merit in this. However if Titch averages 130 from the get to could be a while before you get him in

Always a good chance tht may be the case but if he starts the year even with back to back 110s he will have a reasonable price drop and hopefully can be included in the team following that drop. At nearly 1 mil for a player I think is just too much for rnd 1

Always a good chance tht may be the case but if he starts the year even with back to back 110s he will have a reasonable price drop and hopefully can be included in the team following that drop. At nearly 1 mil for a player I think is just too much for rnd 1
Every chance Macrae could match Titch next season, no right or wrong answer there at this stage. There’ll only be 50k difference. I guess when you look at your highest priced player you’re looking at him as your captain, so with Titch/Macrae you’re buying a 240-260 points a week player as opposed to just 120-130

Really when you look at we all paid 896k (127) for him last year. This year hes only (129) guesstimated price of 922k~

Macrae will only be 45k cheaper
Grundy about 60k cheaper

The difference isnt huge

Remove this Banner Ad

Back