Gym & Misc General Health and Fitness Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

tumblr_inline_n5jgk93NHL1r565xp.gif
Actually didn't go to bad

I’m a complete flog but I have different runners/trainers depending on what I’m doing. Actual running shoes for running, trainers for weight/cross training sessions etc. I think it makes a difference.

Isnt the general rule- you should use cross trainers for things like netball (more support) etc, but for running/gym whatever anything really goes.

Isnt the general rule- you should use cross trainers for things like netball (more support) etc, but for running/gym whatever anything really goes.

Ahh I don’t think so. The big one I’ve noticed is that running shoes are very different and generally don’t have much support for lateral movement.

Cross trainers and court shoes are more of a multi use (and would be okay for a little running) but running shoes are not great for gym and cross training.

Need some advice.

So I train legs/glutes every second day. Recovery is fine. The only iffy one is back to legs which needs a good hammy stretch. I can maybe keep this up for 2 or 3 months before I sliiiightly minor strain something (overtraining and lack of rest) and need to rest for a week - then I’m back and ready to repeat.

Should I be sleeping more? More protein? The obvious is to have a rest day at least once a week before I hurt myself but you know, yolo, I’m 24, rest when I’m dead etc. etc. #thug

Last edited:
Need some advice.

So I train legs/glutes every second day. Recovery is fine. The only iffy one is back to legs which needs a good hammy stretch. I can maybe keep this up for 2 or 3 months before I sliiiightly minor strain something (overtraining and lack of rest) and need to rest for a week - then I’m back and ready to repeat.

Should I be sleeping more? More protein? The obvious is to have a rest day at least once a week before I hurt myself but you know, yolo, I’m 24, rest when I’m dead etc. etc. #thug

If you only miss a week there’s evidence that up to even a 3 week break may help enhance hyoertrophy in some people.
So you can either run the gauntlet and bank on not doing anything too bad or pre-emptively train say 10 weeks on 2 weeks off (or something like this).
IMO even if you ate/slept better you’d probably still run into the same issue as (presumably) you’d be training harder.

If you only miss a week there’s evidence that up to even a 3 week break may help enhance hyoertrophy in some people.
So you can either run the gauntlet and bank on not doing anything too bad or pre-emptively train say 10 weeks on 2 weeks off (or something like this).
IMO even if you ate/slept better you’d probably still run into the same issue as (presumably) you’d be training harder.

Which would you recommend?

I’d try and work out the signs/triggers that happen right before something gets hurt and take your 1-2 weeks when they start popping up.

It won't be bad in the long-run right? Like I won't be 50 and be like goddamn by yolo-ing 24 yo. self.

It won't be bad in the long-run right? Like I won't be 50 and be like goddamn by yolo-ing 24 yo. self.

Unlikely.
You’d have to cause some pretty significant damage to be like that (which a muscle strain is not lol).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be honest training legs every other day is ridiculous imo. Recovery is just as important and i just cant imagine you would see better results by training them that often

3x week is too much?
RIP every novice lifting program, 3/4 of powerlifting programs and modern science

3x week is too much?
RIP every novice lifting program, 3/4 of powerlifting programs and modern science

Every other day is generally too much i think. Unless you have an incredible recovery rate or are half assing it i dont know how you could turn around and do legs, chest or back on a days rest consistently and i doubt you would see much better results compared to taking another days rest and you would reduce your chances of injury.

If its working then whatever but there is no way i would recommend it

Trade off from training legs every other day to once a week is intensity. You can’t go ham 3 times a week, maybe once and then some higher/lighter reps the next session. Training every other day the intensity can’t be there as there is not enough recovery time.

Every other day is generally too much i think. Unless you have an incredible recovery rate or are half assing it i dont know how you could turn around and do legs, chest or back on a days rest consistently and i doubt you would see much better results compared to taking another days rest and you would reduce your chances of injury.

If its working then whatever but there is no way i would recommend it

Human physiology disagrees that every other day is too much (in all cases; I absolutely agree for some that it will be too much).
IMO people overstate the recovery required to lift weights compared to other sporting activities, particularly if you’ve got half a brain and can properly periodise your training.
That and females, on average, recover from resistance training much better than guys. Ask any female powerlifter and most would say they made the best progress doing that lift 3-5 times a week (bench in particular seems to respond really well to higher frequency).

How low (cals) do people go when cutting?

5 weeks into a cut I can’t see myself going much below 1900 for more than the last week or so.

But I feel that tough cutting is what sets lifters apart at times, everyone can gain some muscle but being able to hold that while getting proper lean is what’s really impressive.

Pre-publish/print meta analysis by Brad Schoenfeld on training frequency per muscle group and hypertrophic response.
Cliffs: 1, 2 or 3 times a week per muscle group can be equally effective if weekly volume is matched* and should be selected based on personal preference

*what this means is (for example) if you did 12x10@100kg for quads in theory it wouldn’t matter if you did all 12 sets in one session, 6 sets twice a week or 4 sets 3 times a week. Though obviously 6 sets and 4 sets a session is easier than 12 so I’d hypothesise you could increase volume more on those than doing a single session of 12 sets.

Last edited:
Human physiology disagrees that every other day is too much (in all cases; I absolutely agree for some that it will be too much).
IMO people overstate the recovery required to lift weights compared to other sporting activities, particularly if you’ve got half a brain and can properly periodise your training.
That and females, on average, recover from resistance training much better than guys. Ask any female powerlifter and most would say they made the best progress doing that lift 3-5 times a week (bench in particular seems to respond really well to higher frequency).

i'd say the confusion lay in the volume. if you're going to hit a body part in a session with a high volume and take it to volitional failure on each set as you find in BB splits, then every other day is going to be too much. but if you're only doing one or two exercises for that body part, then there shouldn't be any problem. that's generally what I do. frequency of stimulus is key.

to take advantage of supercompensation, we need to hit the same muscle every 4-5 days. stretch this out to 7 days as most folks typically do in their BB splits and they've lost this benefit. so folks are better off doing a bit less than their 4-5 chest exercises for 3-4 sets of 8-12 rps every chest day x1 per week. Rather, complete less volume per session and hit it more frequently x2 or x3 or x4 per week.

Was going to say it would depend on the individual. Have vague memories about most elite athletes having a better natural recovery rate than the average human.

Trade off from training legs every other day to once a week is intensity. You can’t go ham 3 times a week, maybe once and then some higher/lighter reps the next session. Training every other day the intensity can’t be there as there is not enough recovery time.
I've had good progress this year on a simple 4 day upper/lower split, with the first two days begin more strength focused and the second two hypertrophy.

There's a Lyle McDonald article floating around somewhere as a meta-analysis of recovery and hypertrophy that surmises the best cycle for hypertrophy is each body part twice in 8 days however modern schedules mean in the real world everything twice per week with regular deload intervals works best for regular people.

Most of those studies take the test subjects to failure.

Next time you're in the gym, stand next to the leg press and take note of how many people actually take their working sets to complete and utter muscular failure.

Just so you don't waste your time, the answer is...

ZERO.

Therefore, 99% of folk in the gym can handle more volume.

20 - 25 sets per muscle group per week is where it's at for hypertrophy (advanced lifters). Females can usually handle 5-10 sets more per week. This usually equates to approx 10 sets per session, twice a week.

Exercise selection plays a factor. You're not doing 5 x 5's with bicep curls, and you're not doing balls to the wall sets of 30 reps on the deadlift.

At this stage you're probably thinking I'm some sort of exercise guru. I'm not. I'm actually dumb as dogshit.

I just watched this video lel

I switched off when they started talking about meso cycles, maximum recoverable volume, and reps in reserve. Too much info, and plus it's leg day. :(

Next time you're in the gym, stand next to the leg press and take note of how many people actually take their working sets to complete and utter muscular failure.

Just so you don't waste your time, the answer is...

ZERO.
I get better leg development by not going to failure. I used to go hard and do one leg day per week, plus cycling to and from work. Dialling it back just a little I'm now doing 2 leg days per week, my recovery is enhanced and I'm ready to go for day 2 (been doing Mondays & Thursdays, prioritising them the past couple of months).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back