Training 2019 Preseason

Mattress looking more like a swag.

C4FE8AE7-60FE-4F75-9069-537F1A6D07ED.png

Marlo

Club Legend
Mar 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Although he's trimmed down in previous pre seasons and looked in ripping shape, I'd say this is the first time Paddy actually looks like a man.

Looking in the mirror and suddenly seeing a weathered, father of 5 looking gargoyle, with the young rooster King in the pen, will turn Paddy into a bit more of a commanding monster with more ego.

Mar 10, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Few observations from Training Today..

Billy running laps not a big deal because Lewis Pierce looks like a beast and ready to go, Thick and Lean.

Hanners great voice and looks like he’ll get a full Pre season which he hasn’t had in 2 years, so it’s a good start that hopefully gets him back to that AA form.

Steven looks Chubby, he did last year also, although he won the B&F I think it was probably his worst out of the 4 he has won.

Carlisle looks proppy but he was running laps and having a Kick with Max King, so recovering from something most likely.

Blake looks so good on the track has all the attributes to be really dominant, needs to settle into a position that will be his best chance to reach his potential.

Paddy all the hype is real, guy looks lean strong fit. Legs have leaned up, now you can distinguish from his thighs to his calves

Robbie Young has outstanding foot skills and if he can get enough of the ball will be a really dangerous player.. The ball travelles very quickly.

Billings has now got a goatee, trying to establish he is no longer a boy.

That’s about it. And Greash will win the B&F the guy is just better then everyone else.

Ekomaira

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 6, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Few observations from Training Today..

Billy running laps not a big deal because Lewis Pierce looks like a beast and ready to go, Thick and Lean.

Hanners great voice and looks like he’ll get a full Pre season which he hasn’t had in 2 years, so it’s a good start that hopefully gets him back to that AA form.

Steven looks Chubby, he did last year also, although he won the B&F I think it was probably his worst out of the 4 he has won.

Carlisle looks proppy but he was running laps and having a Kick with Max King, so recovering from something most likely.

Blake looks so good on the track has all the attributes to be really dominant, needs to settle into a position that will be his best chance to reach his potential.

Paddy all the hype is real, guy looks lean strong fit. Legs have leaned up, now you can distinguish from his thighs to his calves

Robbie Young has outstanding foot skills and if he can get enough of the ball will be a really dangerous player.. The ball travelles very quickly.

Billings has now got a goatee, trying to establish he is no longer a boy.

That’s about it. And Greash will win the B&F the guy is just better then everyone else.
hows Kelly looking?

TheJackal

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Quality session today in some pretty hot and sweaty conditions, the boys worked their asses off for three hours plus in the sun.

Stuv looks like he has visited the gym almost as often as he has visited the barber since the end of the season. He is a star and will no doubt be fine but it's obvious as it is with Rice, Jake and a couple of others.

Billy is in the best shape of his life, first time that I've seen him in shape so early in preseason - I feel that he is absolutely ready to fulfil his potential this year. Just got to keep him away from the Xmas pudd and he has set himself up be a top 5 ruckman by seasons end.

Hanners just keeps on impressing me with his actions. Towards the end of the session Stuv and Hanners were chatting to coaches in the middle of the ground when the main group was doing some serious running drills. At the end of the drill on the other side of the oval the group called for the water. Hanners noticed this and was hurrying up the three trainers to bring out the drinks, one of the trainers was a little large to run the drinks over like the other two trainers were doing so Hanners ran to him, grabbed the drinks tray and ran it to the group on the other side of the oval, encouraging each of the boys who did the running. During the whole process Stuv didn't move. It's just a small thing, but it really stood out to me - I've never been so impressed by anyone at training as I have been with him. His skill work and training standards are exemplary, the way he is running, I'd be shocked if he isn't hitting 2016 form this year. I said it last week but he is seriously bringing these boys up to an elite level.

Parker and Young have me very excited, Hind looks like a skinny jockey, poor bloke needs a steak. Bytel is a beautiful size, we got a steal with him. King did some running and my god he just glides across the turf, kicking both feet and marking at the highest point, give him 12 and sit back and enjoy! He doesn't have an ounce of fat on him, will be a superstar I have little doubt.

The skills seem better this year than previous years in preseason, they are also doing a lot more work with their pinpoint kicking it feels.

JB, Blake, Hanners and Steele looked unstoppable today, I must admit though I was hiding in the shadows so I didn't get great views of many players at a distance.

Lewi was embarrassing in the running drills, I feel like his body can do it but it's all in his head. Wish he had the running ability because it really holds him back. The basketballer is a big unit, moves well and might become Billy's backup sooner than we think.

All of Marshall, Bruce, Paddy, Battle and Membrey look in in career best shape. The recruitment of King has no doubt put a rocket up these guys.

Spook looks in ripping shape, I'm not sure if he was crook but he was near on falling over from exhaustion by the end. I'm guessing he is getting the most out of himself, I'm choosing to think this rather than he is just unfit.

Giving DMac his due, he is a fitness machine, I am actually surprised by his progress.

It was so lovely seeing Roberton out there, he is like a new recruit out there and his contribution to our team is criminally underrated. A fit Longer, Roberton, Bruce and Hanners at there best are basically new A/B grade recruits. I find it hilarious how many outsider's don't recognise any of this when looking at our upcoming 2019 season.

Finally, Biggy looks a prospect, I reckon we will be getting a good one with him! Tall, smooth moving with big skills, he is a big boy for 16/17!

Tommy Wigs

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Quality session today in some pretty hot and sweaty conditions, the boys worked their asses off for three hours plus in the sun.

Stuv looks like he has visited the gym almost as often as he has visited the barber since the end of the season. He is a star and will no doubt be fine but it's obvious as it is with Rice, Jake and a couple of others.

Billy is in the best shape of his life, first time that I've seen him in shape so early in preseason - I feel that he is absolutely ready to fulfil his potential this year. Just got to keep him away from the Xmas pudd and he has set himself up be a top 5 ruckman by seasons end.

Hanners just keeps on impressing me with his actions. Towards the end of the session Stuv and Hanners were chatting to coaches in the middle of the ground when the main group was doing some serious running drills. At the end of the drill on the other side of the oval the group called for the water. Hanners noticed this and was hurrying up the three trainers to bring out the drinks, one of the trainers was a little large to run the drinks over like the other two trainers were doing so Hanners ran to him, grabbed the drinks tray and ran it to the group on the other side of the oval, encouraging each of the boys who did the running. During the whole process Stuv didn't move. It's just a small thing, but it really stood out to me - I've never been so impressed by anyone at training as I have been with him. His skill work and training standards are exemplary, the way he is running, I'd be shocked if he isn't hitting 2016 form this year. I said it last week but he is seriously bringing these boys up to an elite level.

Parker and Young have me very excited, Hind looks like a skinny jockey, poor bloke needs a steak. Bytel is a beautiful size, we got a steal with him. King did some running and my god he just glides across the turf, kicking both feet and marking at the highest point, give him 12 and sit back and enjoy! He doesn't have an ounce of fat on him, will be a superstar I have little doubt.

The skills seem better this year than previous years in preseason, they are also doing a lot more work with their pinpoint kicking it feels.

JB, Blake, Hanners and Steele looked unstoppable today, I must admit though I was hiding in the shadows so I didn't get great views of many players at a distance.

Lewi was embarrassing in the running drills, I feel like his body can do it but it's all in his head. Wish he had the running ability because it really holds him back. The basketballer is a big unit, moves well and might become Billy's backup sooner than we think.

All of Marshall, Bruce, Paddy, Battle and Membrey look in in career best shape. The recruitment of King has no doubt put a rocket up these guys.

Spook looks in ripping shape, I'm not sure if he was crook but he was near on falling over from exhaustion by the end. I'm guessing he is getting the most out of himself, I'm choosing to think this rather than he is just unfit.

Giving DMac his due, he is a fitness machine, I am actually surprised by his progress.

It was so lovely seeing Roberton out there, he is like a new recruit out there and his contribution to our team is criminally underrated. A fit Longer, Roberton, Bruce and Hanners at there best are basically new A/B grade recruits. I find it hilarious how many outsider's don't recognise any of this when looking at our upcoming 2019 season.

Finally, Biggy looks a prospect, I reckon we will be getting a good one with him! Tall, smooth moving with big skills, he is a big boy for 16/17!
Champion, absolute champion. I saw Hind walking along the boundary last week and just thought it was a physio.

Any further comments on what got you excited on Parker and Robbie? Did they do some match sim?

FB: Roberton - Brown - Geary
HB: Webster - Carlisle - McKenzie
RK: Longer - Steele - Steven
CR: Hannebery - Ross - Billings
HF: Acres - McCartin - Gresham
FF: Long - Bruce - Membrey
IC: Sinclair Kent **** ****

That about right?

Mikka84

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 9, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
FB: Roberton - Brown - Geary
HB: Webster - Carlisle - McKenzie
RK: Longer - Steele - Steven
CR: Hannebery - Ross - Billings
HF: Acres - McCartin - Gresham
FF: Long - Bruce - Membrey
IC: Sinclair Kent **** ****

That about right?
The guys I have with pressure spots from kids/recruits coming through.

Brown, Geary, McKenzie, Longer, Acres, McCartin, Long, Bruce, Sinclair & Kent.

Some might be harsh, buts that’s where our list is. I’d be upset if, Clark, Coffield, Austin, Clav, Pierce, White and later in the year; King, Bytel, Parker, Young aren’t pushing for a game.

The guys I have with pressure spots from kids/recruits coming through.

Brown, Geary, McKenzie, Longer, Acres, McCartin, Long, Bruce, Sinclair & Kent.

Some might be harsh, buts that’s where our list is. I’d be upset if, Clark, Coffield, Austin, Clav, Pierce, White and later in the year; King, Bytel, Parker, Young aren’t pushing for a game.

I reckon Sinclair, Acres, Dunstan, Armo, Savage, Roberton, Mattress, Newnes, Long and Lonie will all be having to keep their standards high to stay in the side. Bruce probably only challenged if Paddy makes rapid improvement.

Longer will take first ruck duties on a platter unless injured. Geary will play unless injured IMO, as captain you get plenty of chances and he was excellent early in the year then seemed to get sore and drop away. Small forwards will probably get churned through to try to find the best combo.

Clark, Coffield, Rice, White, Lewy, Clav, Austin etc will all be the underclass pushing for spots. King and Bytel probably won't get as much game time as past recruits just because of the sides make up and pressure for Richo to win to survive. They might surprise but I think the mature guys probably get more game time if they perform.

Mikka84

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 9, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
I reckon Sinclair, Acres, Dunstan, Armo, Savage, Roberton, Mattress, Newnes, Long and Lonie will all be having to keep their standards high to stay in the side. Bruce probably only challenged if Paddy makes rapid improvement.

Longer will take first ruck duties on a platter unless injured. Geary will play unless injured IMO, as captain you get plenty of chances and he was excellent early in the year then seemed to get sore and drop away. Small forwards will probably get churned through to try to find the best combo.

Clark, Coffield, Rice, White, Lewy, Clav, Austin etc will all be the underclass pushing for spots. King and Bytel probably won't get as much game time as past recruits just because of the sides make up and pressure for Richo to win to survive. They might surprise but I think the mature guys probably get more game time if they perform.
Our forward line might be very different this year. Rats loves a smaller, quicker forward set up. 2 big guys and the rest pressure forwards with decent hands. I.e another two as lead ups and the other two as high pressure. Kent is nearly a walk up under those conditions.

Agree, Longer. He just doesn’t get me excited. Billing’s gets me excited after a long chat with him the other day. He’s bought in and 100% this year.

Geary yes. I still think he’s best 22 regardless of captaincy. But I’d like to think someone is putting big pressure on him later in the year.

Back