Who would you rate as the strongest premiership side in the AFL era?

Which premiership team would you rate as the strongest of the AFL era?

• Collingwood 1990

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Hawthorn 1991

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • West Coast 92-94

Votes: 15 2.4%
  • Essendon 1993

• Carlton 1995

Votes: 26 4.1%
  • North 96-99

Votes: 17 2.7%
  • Adelaide 97-98

• Essendon 2000

Votes: 83 13.1%
  • Brisbane 2001-2003

Votes: 206 32.4%
  • Port 2004

• Sydney 2005

• West Coast 2006

• Geelong 2007-2011

Votes: 101 15.9%
  • Hawthorn 2008

• Collingwood 2010

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Sydney 2012

• Hawthorn 2013-2015

Votes: 103 16.2%
  • Bulldogs 2016

Votes: 14 2.2%
  • Richmond 2017

Votes: 33 5.2%
  • West Coast 2018

Votes: 11 1.7%

• Total voters

SirKarl0s

Team Captain
Jun 10, 2018
C-137
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
That Lions team from 01-03 was horrifyingly good, they had superstars all over the field.

Their 3peat is miles ahead of Hawthorns.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
That Lions team from 01-03 was horrifyingly good, they had superstars all over the field.

Their 3peat is miles ahead of Hawthorns.

So despite having superstars all over the field, and getting a heap of extra money to spend on those superstars, they still only managed the same as Hawthorn. 3 in a row plus a GF loss.

Seems to me that would mean the team performance by Hawthorn would be better, not worse. Surely?

carnaroys08

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Cowboys, Storm.
How about just tell us how Richmond 2017 ranks above WC this year for a start.
They don't. Well, not on the DOMINATION TEST anyway. The Eagles dominated R2 v Dogs, R4 v Suns. They were dominated R14 v Bombers. Richmond were two a piece the previous year. Should be noted, the Eagles lost a junk time final quarter by 6+ Goals & still won the match. That's not counted as being dominated, I reckon "Stewards Enquiry" fits better.
On all that, you'd rate the Eagles a slightly more dominant team as you would the the Tigers. The Bombers 2000 & Lions 2003 were rated way higher; but hey, you beat the Pies to Win the Flag so deserve Extra glory. Welcome to the Eagles on joining The Lions in the highly esteemed Club of AFL Teams who have beaten the Pies on the big day this Century.

Last edited:

Nuggets73

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It was a "retention allowance" not a "Cost Of Living Allowance". Less than 20% of Brisbane's list at that time came from Queensland.

Correct ... It wasn't Cola, it was purely brought in to assist the Lions in luring players to QLD - which isn't such a bad thing, if they are serious about growing the game in QLD.

Oct 17, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
Correct ... It wasn't Cola, it was purely brought in to assist the Lions in luring players to QLD - which isn't such a bad thing, if they are serious about growing the game in QLD.

Retaining players. In the 1990s, Brisbane had the same problems as Gold Coast and GWS do now in keeping players, located as they are in non-football states. Tbe Academies have allowed the four northern clubs more opportunities to increase the proportion of their playing list that hail from the state they are located in, commensurate with those clubs located in football states.

carnaroys08

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Cowboys, Storm.
Bombers 2000 V Lions 2003 Club DOMINATION of their respective Flag years. Who is it?
Bombers 2000 put 6+ Goals on a side in one quarter R10 v Crows, R12 v Saints, R13 v North, R17 v Tigers, R18 v Freo, R19 v Hawks, Qual Final v North & had a dominating 10 Goal GF win. Calling the GF win a DOMINATION that's 8 Domination's for & 1 time being dominated v Nort R3. 8/1 is impressive. 7/0 in the second half of the year is red hot.
Lions 2003 put 6+ Goals on a side in one quarter R6 v Cats, R9 v Blues (2 qts Dominated), R10 v Melb, R19 v Pies, R21 v Cats, Prelim v Swans and had a dominating 50pt GF win. 7/0 equally as impressive as the Dons.
Both sides dominated more heavily towards the business end of the year. The Lions spread their domination over more of the year, performed a DOUBLE DOMINATION once & were never dominated. The Bombers finished the season with scary good form. Both sides dominated 2 Finals.
CANT SPLIT IT, ITS A DRAW.
These two teams are equally the most dominant Sides in AFL History.

The gut feeling was right about the Dons 2000.

How about a Cat fan or any other team check your best year? The gut is telling me the Cat's would give it a shake; there may be a smokey?

*edit
ps: we can safely rule out Richmond 2018.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton
Might be struggling with this one, my memory isn't that good - but I think Martin Pike, Alistair Lynch & Jarrod Molloy also came across?? ... again, not 100% sure they all came at the same time?

Lynch left on a 10 year mega-deal a few years before the merger. Pike had baggage and was overlooked, being picked up North and then to the Lions after a few years and a flag. Only 8 Roys went to Brisbane, Captain Brad Boyd, Molloy, Chris Johnson, John Barker, Simon Hawking and some others I can’t think of.

gangsta deluxe

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Rajasthan Royals!!!
So despite having superstars all over the field, and getting a heap of extra money to spend on those superstars, they still only managed the same as Hawthorn. 3 in a row plus a GF loss.

Seems to me that would mean the team performance by Hawthorn would be better, not worse. Surely?

Not saying I agree with them (I dont) but this is about the strongest team not the best team performance. The bonuses they got (extra money, merged players, etc etc) dont detract from that at all but in fact strengthen that claim - this is what made them the strongest team.

One might say that Hawthorn may have got more out of themselves, but that has nothing to do with them being stronger. In fact, saying they got more out of themselves and had the best team performance actually suggest that they werent the strongest, but rather extracted the most from lesser ability.

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Why do you keep bringing up St Kilda? Your club should not be anywhere near this thread haha. The fact that we won a flag and you couldn’t instantly makes us a better team than you.

Anyway, the poll has us 4th, so I’m not too far off the mark. People let their hatred for Richmond get in the way of honest voting. Our pressure would trouble every side on this list. We are the strongest MCG tenant of all time. You’re deluded if you think we wouldn’t pants the majority of this list.
oh im sorry i didnt realise you were mentally touched .... yes richmond good

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Geelong 07-11 were much better than Richmond of 2017. Let's establish that and move on.
geelong 92 and 94 were better than tigers 17 ... only one eyed tigers fans would think their flag winning team could match up to the powerhouses of the three flag winning teams of Brisbane Hawthorn and Geelong ...

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
You really think that Dusty would've "smashed" the likes of Voss, Jonathan Brown, Scott bros or Martin Pyke?

I don't think so. Would like to have seen him try though......would make for some good viewing.
hahahaha imagine dusty doing the dont argue to Voss ... Voss would have ripped his arm out of his socket and the scott brothers would have ran around punching the stump

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton
The mega deal that was not a mega deal . 10 Years 1.5 million ! I believe the Club gave him an upgrade it was such a poor deal for Lynch.

Did you follow footy at the time. It was a massive deal in its day. No one was signing million dollar contracts back then let alone a single $1.8m guaranteed contract. It was unprecedented. Lynch was 25yo and not many expected he’d play the full 10 years anyway, including himself.

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
i think in this conversation the reason how the team got put together (COLA, Draft concessions, Father/son) really doesnt matter the discussion is what team was the most dominant and when you look at Voss, Aker and Black three brownlow medalist for Brisbane all in their peak at the same time surrounded by players in every position who would be first picked in any team, no fillers no role players just hard uncompromising players on each line coached by a ruthless Leigh Mathews ...you cant go past the lions as the most dominant, i mean on their last legs they got to the g/f in 2004 says a lot ...
Hawthorn and Geelong and even the 2000 Bombers were fantastic teams and would be on skill sets higher than the lions but the way the lions brutally attacked the opposition i reckon they would have smothered them .... to me Brisbane is the top ... Richmond the dogs and the 18 WCE are the bottom of that list WCE because they didnt have their strongest side out there to win the flag shows they were very good to pull it off but they were not at their most dominant just on the players they had missing ...
of the votes for richmond i doubt anyone outside of richmond supporters voted that way

dzussy

Team Captain
Sep 28, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Cant separate Hawthorn & Brisbane era's.
Winning one is hard, Three-peats trump everything.

Nuggets73

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The mega deal that was not a mega deal . 10 Years 1.5 million ! I believe the Club gave him an upgrade it was such a poor deal for Lynch.

Bahaha ... that was gun money for back then, but was scraps towards the end of his contract .... Gun player, highly underrated in my opinion :thumbsu:

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
Bombers 2000 V Lions 2003 Club DOMINATION of their respective Flag years. Who is it?
Bombers 2000 put 6+ Goals on a side in one quarter R10 v Crows, R12 v Saints, R13 v North, R17 v Tigers, R18 v Freo, R19 v Hawks, Qual Final v North & had a dominating 10 Goal GF win. Calling the GF win a DOMINATION that's 8 Domination's for & 1 time being dominated v Nort R3. 8/1 is impressive. 7/0 in the second half of the year is red hot.
Lions 2003 put 6+ Goals on a side in one quarter R6 v Cats, R9 v Blues (2 qts Dominated), R10 v Melb, R19 v Pies, R21 v Cats, Prelim v Swans and had a dominating 50pt GF win. 7/0 equally as impressive as the Dons.
Both sides dominated more heavily towards the business end of the year. The Lions spread their domination over more of the year, performed a DOUBLE DOMINATION once & were never dominated. The Bombers finished the season with scary good form. Both sides dominated 2 Finals.
CANT SPLIT IT, ITS A DRAW.
These two teams are equally the most dominant Sides in AFL History.

The gut feeling was right about the Dons 2000.

How about a Cat fan or any other team check your best year? The gut is telling me the Cat's would give it a shake; there may be a smokey?

*edit
ps: we can safely rule out Richmond 2018.

That may be the worst stat I have ever read in my entire life

Oct 17, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
Lynch left on a 10 year mega-deal a few years before the merger. Pike had baggage and was overlooked, being picked up North and then to the Lions after a few years and a flag. Only 8 Roys went to Brisbane, Captain Brad Boyd, Molloy, Chris Johnson, John Barker, Simon Hawking and some others I can’t think of.

The full list was:
Brad Boyd (retired 1999), John Barker (later traded to Hawthorn), Simon Hawking (to Sydney), Nick Carter (to Melbourne), Scott Bamford (to Geelong), Shane Clayton (delisted), Chris Johnson, Jarrod Molloy (to Collingwood).

Other Fitzroy players that went to other clubs were:
Richmond: (3) Jason Baldwin, Brent Frewen, Matthew Manfield
Collingwood: (2) Brad Cassidy, Marty Warry,
North Melbourne: (3) Brett Chandler, Anthony Mellington, Martin Pike (1996 B&F)
St Kilda: (1) Brett Cook,
Hawthorn: (2) Nigel Credlin, Robert McMahon,
West Coast: (1) Trent Cummings,
Western Bulldogs: (1) Matthew Dent
Port Adelaide: (4) Danny Morton, Stephen Paxman, Matthew Primus, John Rombotis
Sydney: (1) Rowan Warfe

carnaroys08

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Cowboys, Storm.
Did you follow footy at the time. It was a massive deal in its day. No one was signing million dollar contracts back then let alone a single $1.8m guaranteed contract. It was unprecedented. Lynch was 25yo and not many expected he’d play the full 10 years anyway, including himself.
Yes, I've been an attending Lions fan since about 1970. Your right, it was big at the time because it had $million plus in it & it was a 10 year deal. For Lynch the certainty of guaranteed money was a change from the uncertainty of Fitzroy. Lynch turned into the perfect link between the Bears, Fitzroy & Brisbane Lions.

Last edited:

Captain_Bender

Premiership Player
May 21, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
hahahaha imagine dusty doing the dont argue to Voss ... Voss would have ripped his arm out of his socket and the scott brothers would have ran around punching the stump
Dusty has fended off bigger stronger players than Voss, would have no problem putting Voss on his ass

carnaroys08

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Cowboys, Storm.

Hawthorn play keeping's off footy. It's been effective yet it is hardly dominating teams. The Lions, same as the Bombers 2000 dominated sides physically & on the scoreboard.

PS: Lions were desperately unlucky in 1999 & we were a dominant side that year; also cheated out of a fair go in 2004. We were worthy of 5 flags in 6 years.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Might be struggling with this one, my memory isn't that good - but I think Martin Pike, Alistair Lynch & Jarrod Molloy also came across?? ... again, not 100% sure they all came at the same time?

The original post I was responding to was a poster that insinuated Brisbane picked over the carcass of Fitzroy and bolstered their side that way to help them win their premierships.

Chris Johnson was the only player they got from the demise of Fitzroy that played in their premierships.

Pike played 4 years at North after Fitzroy before going to Brisbane.

Lynch had already moved to Brisbane a few years before the demise of Fitzroy on a 10 year, $1.8 million deal.

Molloy moved on to Collingwood at the end of 2000.

Back