Random Bears, Roy's and Lions from the 90s memories and apprection thread

Remove this Banner Ad

This was the most inspiring win the club ever had (as the Bears).

Robert Walls pointing to the Hawks players sitting in the shade at 3/4 time was genius.

Fabulous memories of that last quarter especially as I was at the ground:)

Posted this in the wrong thread.

Just watched SA v Vic 1994. Bought to mind we never saw the best after the merger. Brad Boyd. Only played 15 games, and if my memory serves me correct, his back was gone when he got here. Absolute gun.

Not enough Jimmy Wynd love on here. Be many on here who wouldn't be aware that Kenny Hinkley first played for the Lions. Rossy Lyon had a decent career at Fitzroy and use to smash blokes for fun. That team of 93 was so fun to watch. Had they made the finals I think they were capable of causing some havoc. Trading Blakey for John McCarthy was a mistake but Robert Shaw was a wonderful coach for the Royboys.

So many fave players but the Tank (Conlan) and Osborne were the most exciting. Paul Roos was probably my fave and by the time he left you couldn't blame him, he stayed longer than most.

For Fitzroy - Bears fans I think Scotty McIvor was massively underrated.

Not enough Jimmy Wynd love on here. Be many on here who wouldn't be aware that Kenny Hinkley first played for the Lions. Rossy Lyon had a decent career at Fitzroy and use to smash blokes for fun. That team of 93 was so fun to watch. Had they made the finals I think they were capable of causing some havoc. Trading Blakey for John McCarthy was a mistake but Robert Shaw was a wonderful coach for the Royboys.

So many fave players but the Tank (Conlan) and Osborne were the most exciting. Paul Roos was probably my fave and by the time he left you couldn't blame him, he stayed longer than most.

We had so many good players at Fitzroy over the years, particularly the unheralded ones i.e. Pekin, Lokan, Clayton, Kappler, Lawrie, Baldwin, McGrath, Keane, Reeves, Armstrong, Broderick, Gale, McIvor (who you mentioned) etc. (unfortunately most people still seem to lump the last four as players from the club(s) they went to after they left Fitzroy).

We had so many good players at Fitzroy over the years, particularly the unheralded ones i.e. Pekin, Lokan, Clayton, Kappler, Lawrie, Baldwin, McGrath, Keane, Reeves, Armstrong, Broderick, Gale, McIvor (who you mentioned) etc. (unfortunately most people still seem to lump the last four as players from the club(s) they went to after they left Fitzroy).

What about Michael Reeves and the gridiron pants! That 1986 prelim against the Hawks Dipper sent Reeves into the next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So is John Rombotis (albeit in Fitzroy’s eastern suburbs recruiting ground IIRC).
Speaking of the eastern suburbs, Anthony McGregor has opened up a butchers shop around the corner in Macedon Square, Lower Templestowe. He’s got his Fitzroy guernsey and Centenary jumper framed on the wall.

Speaking of the eastern suburbs, Anthony McGregor has opened up a butchers shop around the corner in Macedon Square, Lower Templestowe. He’s got his Fitzroy guernsey and Centenary jumper framed on the wall.

Outstanding detective work mate. Guess thats my new butcher. Mind you he was known to butcher the ball on occasions :)

Found these on the weekend in the garage:

Attachments

• BF96BDC0-E51E-42A9-B440-C8908E56CC9F.jpeg
    BF96BDC0-E51E-42A9-B440-C8908E56CC9F.jpeg
    294.9 KB · Views: 180
  • 56AF46EE-2BEB-42CA-9D9A-F12747BFDFC5.jpeg
    56AF46EE-2BEB-42CA-9D9A-F12747BFDFC5.jpeg
    272.8 KB · Views: 193
  • 7F2309FB-C1A0-438F-83AB-6CFC58295BDD.jpeg
    7F2309FB-C1A0-438F-83AB-6CFC58295BDD.jpeg
    297.1 KB · Views: 188
This was the most inspiring win the club ever had (as the Bears).

Robert Walls pointing to the Hawks players sitting in the shade at 3/4 time was genius.

Fabulous memories of that last quarter especially as I was at the ground:)

I’ve always felt that was the time when things actually changed for the better for the club. The real start of something thing special.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

100% agree, he was worthy of praise alongside all the other great characters and performers of the time!

I'll always have fond memories of the late '80s/early '90s Roys and Jim's an essential part of those memories: https://www.footyalmanac.com.au/the-dickensian-festive-season-footy-fan-part-1/

100% agree, he was worthy of praise alongside all the other great characters and performers of the time!

I'll always have fond memories of the late '80s/early '90s Roys and Jim's an essential part of those memories: https://www.footyalmanac.com.au/the-dickensian-festive-season-footy-fan-part-1/
Jimmy Wynd was a courageous rover and loyal servant of the club. I remember at the time feeling that that the club hadn’t treated him fairly when he was let go.

One of my all time favorite Round 1 wins:

Umpires desperately tried to cheat us, but we still got up.
Love the "pre-corporate TV broadcast rights holder pissing in the AFL's pockets commentary" with Peter McKenna RIGHTFULLY bagging the daylights out of the umpires. Features Bruce before he was a parody of himself and the dulcet tones of Bernie Quinlan to complete the equation.

P.S. CONTAINS ACTUAL JIMMY WYND

Last edited:
One of my all time favorite Round 1 wins:

Umpires desperately tried to cheat us, but we still got up.
Love the "pre-corporate TV broadcast rights holder pissing in the AFL's pockets commentary" with Peter McKenna RIGHTFULLY bagging the daylights out of the umpires. Features Bruce before he was a parody of himself and the dulcet tones of Bernie Quinlan to complete the equation.

P.S. CONTAINS ACTUAL JIMMY WYND

'93, the last season where we had a half decent side. I was disappointed to see Broderick go after that year too, let alone Lynchy as well..

'93, the last season where we had a half decent side. I was disappointed to see Broderick go after that year too, let alone Lynchy as well..
Yep. I was talking to Robert Shaw at work once and he was clear that if were able to keep that list together we were a Premiership possibility in the subsequent 3 or 4 years. Here we are the same year beating the reigning premiers, Westcoast Eagles at home.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back