Discussion Random Chat Megathread Mk II

Remove this Banner Ad

I was pointed at a small circle stage in the front they play on using, I don't remember it being there but I may not have seen it before or noticed it
I think I'll have to visit to have any idea what you're talking about.
Get a ticket.

I've reckon I've been there over half the days it's been opened in the couple of weeks. It's just the ultimate local and a great regular place to be on a Friday night with the music.
I'm tempted. Need to make up for my last awkward encounter with a board regular too Gibbsy

Do you live close to it? It's always been a trek and a half for me to get to St Kilda, it's basically unreachable by PT for me. God knows how I used to get there and back, I must have spent a fortune on taxis, and this was before I had any real income.

I think I'll have to visit to have any idea what you're talking about.

I'm tempted. Need to make up for my last awkward encounter with a board regular too Gibbsy

Do you live close to it? It's always been a trek and a half for me to get to St Kilda, it's basically unreachable by PT for me. God knows how I used to get there and back, I must have spent a fortune on taxis, and this was before I had any real income.
Yeah St Kilda is hard to get to by PT unless you're coming from the city. Dan Andrews build a train station there bitch

I work a minute away from the place so going after for a beer is always overbearingly tempting.

So, You Want To Be A Musician?
But only the best make it!

This "idea" is wrong... ever heard of Sir Bob Geldof? Ever heard him sing? Forget this notion.

My co workers son is a musician too!
Cool.

Why haven't you released any music yet?
A full blown, 12 track album is roughly $8k-$12k for studio time, plus hiring out session musicians if needed and then mixing/mastering.
That's not even talking about production, distribution and promotion.

But you can record at home?
Yes, anyone can download Garage Band or ****, even Audacity, but very few (to no one) who is trained in sound engineering will be recording at home.
Anyone who records at home is making an amature album, and if you want to release amature work be my guest, but don't be surprised when no one buys it or no radio DJ's play it.

Ok, so recording in a studio is the way to go, where do you get $8k?
You worm shitty jobs that allow the flexibility to spend all day in a studio.
Yes, you can get Government Grants if you look hard enough but they won't give an aspiring rock star the money - if the project has benefits (eg community work) you may.
Don't bank on that, or consider it an option - work for it man, feels so much better.

Why not just sign to a label?
Labels won't take anyone.
Even if they did take you, those $12k costs? Still there.
The label (if its a major one) will cover those as an investment but when the album sells, they will take back their $12k and more before you start to make a profit (and your management and if you give away any songwriting credits) ... that's a lot of albums.

So you need to be played on radio then!
Ah yes, however, any commercial radio station won't take unsolicited work (for the most part) so if you aren't with a major label (who, surprise surprise own the radios usually) you won't get air play.
You can pay people to get you on, gate keepers (pay them to listen, they like it, they submit it, no guarantees) or with a PR rep.
But again, your sound has to be radio friendly ad you may get played at 2am.
The radio is there to make money off commercials (radio is still the number 1 commercial space in Australia) so they want what people know and want to hear to keep them listening to their station.

Doesn't seem very fair?
It isn't.

They should play more independent Australian musicians!
Listen to community radio for it, or fight for change.
The rule actually says 25% (I think) of all music daily must be independent Australian music, the average? 7%.
France actually has the best regulation on this.

Surely you have someone to push this??
Remember when I said the radio is owned by the major labels?
So is the union for independent musicians.
Go figure.
APRA don't want to change the status quo.

Ok, so the money must be in live gigs then??
Well, unless you're pulling major crowds (and on radio... see the issue already?) you're playing to rooms you hire.
That's still music venues though.
But, the catch is you do a door charge.
Sounds great, the more the better?
Well, lets say between 3 bands you pull 20 people each, at $10 per head.
60 x $10 = $600 divided by 3 is $200.
Pretty good you say?
That's if the other bands do their bit, plus if you're a 4 person band thats only $50 each.
If you're solo?
Great, but a mananger may take 10%, plus your expenses on maintaining gear, hiring crew, petrol?
$200 doesn't end up being much when you leave.

Sounds pessimistic?
Is a touch.

But you're getting paid for the time you're there?
No, I get paid for the amount of time I spend before the gig, calling the venue, booking it, chasing up supports, hoping they promo, money into promo, petrol, rehearsal.
Venues that don't pay to be jerks, really leave you negative on something you love.

Sounds like there isn't money to be made, hell, even if you walk away with $200 you have heaps of upfront expenses and a album to pay for... ever heard that joke "a single musician is a homeless musician?"
Yes I have, I like that one.

So, why be a musician?
I love it, every moment, even the broke ones.
I've had some wild moments on tour already, been taken to parts of countries I wouldn't go as a tourist and met some fab people.
When you have a crowd eating out of your hand, it's magic.
I back myself in to make it, fortune favours the bold.
You have to believe in yourself.

Is it worth it?
Yes.

Go online man!
yes and no.
Again, you need professional videos to stand out from literally billions.
They are not cheap, and you need the album for the video (and you still need to promo it, a few more thousand)
And online isn't the answer - playing live is.
Online is a lazy way only, and you won't get "discovered"

Should I buy you a beer if you're a few thousand in debt?
Absolutely.

Will you send us links to you?
No, I enjoy being anonymous on here, and I'm not even famous enough to be linking.
You can PM me if you wish.
You probably haven't heard of me though.

What's your main message?
Please go and support live music, even if you don't know the band.
Go see someone for $5, not when they are big enough to charge $200.

Whats your best tour story?
Took a stripper home from a post tour party I held at a strip club.
Felt pretty Keith Richards after.

So SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC is key?
Yes.

It's always the people you know :(
Yeeesss and no

You have to go looking for the people as well.
I found my PR rep by asking around established musicians I knew who they worked with so I know I was working with someone of top quality.

I had never heard about her before.

Just looked at tomorrow's gig, great meme
It's The Chats isn't it? Saw on their instagram that they're playing at The Espy tonight. They're great live, saw them opening for Queens of the Stone Age, got that good Punk/ Shed Rock energy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

someone told me this and i just straight up didn't believe them

they're probably fun live though
I was surprised as well when it was announced, especially considering the other opener was CW Stoneking, someone who plays much more traditional, blues orientated rock. Apparently Dave Grohl showed Josh Homme the video for Smoko, which he obviously was impressed by.

Their set was really short, they were probably only onstage for about 20 minutes maximum, but it was still pretty good.

Anybody else enjoy British India? I found them from one of their songs being on AFL Evolution and since have heard them a few times on Triple J.
i got tinnitus for a week from one of their gigs at the beergarden in surfers paradise a few years back. i love em! or used to, now their music just reminds me of my ex haha.

i got tinnitus for a week from one of their gigs at the beergarden in surfers paradise a few years back. i love em! or used to, now their music just reminds me of my ex haha.
Dang yeah their music just reminds me of the places I've been travelling to while listening to one of their albums.
I reckon you've got a negligence case against them haha. Must've been a good night :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back