David Warner

Remove this Banner Ad

Mike Hussey is a very nice guy - from what I am told the last thing he was going to do was to leave a legacy of animosity - says a lot about him
Has there been a better bloke recently than Hussey. I know one or two people who have had plenty of interactions with him and every story is positive.

Last edited:
Has there been a better bloke recently than Hussey. I know I’ve or two people who have had plenty of interactions with him and every story is positive.
Probably not, Andrew McDonald is a very good bloke as is Siddle and James Pattinson, I met a few of the Aussies in NZ 14-15 years ago, Gilchrist, Gillespie and Kasprowicz were all very friendly and interested in grass roots cricket which was very refreshing.

Probably not, Andrew McDonald is a very good bloke as is Siddle and James Pattinson, I met a few of the Aussies in NZ 14-15 years ago, Gilchrist, Gillespie and Kasprowicz were all very friendly and interested in grass roots cricket which was very refreshing.
One of my workmates had a son who played against Adam Gilchrist's kid in under 12s or 14s a few years ago. Gilchrist had commentated on a BBL game in Sydney on a Friday night, and was umpiring in the boys' match in Perth by 9am the next morning. My workmate said his son's team was one short, so Gilly Jr volunteered to swap sides to help them out.

It's a fascinating cultural war. There are people on one side that think that traditions are the single most important thing.

Traditions such as singing the song, only when the "custodian" decides. All eleven players wearing the baggy green onto the field at the start of the game. People such as Katich and S Waugh are clearly in this camp.

The other side. People like Clarke and Warne think it's all a bit of jingoistic s**t.

Actually, I would say that it's a bit broader than that.

Yes, there are some people in life for whom tradition is important (I would say S Waugh is one of these), and others for whom change is important (Clarke and Warne). Together they make up a majority.

But there are others who are neither, and only look at either if they serve a greater purpose, either for emotional/interpersonal reasons, or for logical/utilitarian reasons. Katich strikes me as the latter.

Wonder if we'll ever see Pattinson back in the test lineup

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finch opening should counter a lot of the naysayers who still dismiss Warner as a slog-happy T20 player. The guy is a knob, but a good Test opener, Finch shows what an actual underprepared batsman with a completely different skillset looks like.

The general cricket appreciating fraternity wouldn’t base their criticisms of Warner on some perceived inability to play test cricket. His approach is no different to Sehwag or Gilchrist most of the time in that he just simply has a broader scope of balls he can score off than most players. What let’s him down is that unlike the other two, I get the impression that he often feels he has to score at that pace even on the occasions when the bowling isn’t in his large hitting arc. On top of that he quite simply isn’t that good when the conditions are tough - nothing to do with being aggressive or a T20 product. He simply doesn’t quite have as good a game against the moving ball or the spinning one as what some other players have. He certainly has the raw skill, as his innings in Bangladesh showed and one of his SA tours.

The general cricket appreciating fraternity wouldn’t base their criticisms of Warner on some perceived inability to play test cricket. His approach is no different to Sehwag or Gilchrist most of the time in that he just simply has a broader scope of balls he can score off than most players. What let’s him down is that unlike the other two, I get the impression that he often feels he has to score at that pace even on the occasions when the bowling isn’t in his large hitting arc. On top of that he quite simply isn’t that good when the conditions are tough - nothing to do with being aggressive or a T20 product. He simply doesn’t quite have as good a game against the moving ball or the spinning one as what some other players have. He certainly has the raw skill, as his innings in Bangladesh showed and one of his SA tours.
He doesn't have a good defensive game, which has been proven time and time again. He's quite poor against the seaming and swinging ball, and even worse against the spinners. There's every chance he would have done as well as Finch against the Indian pace attack, who were pretty good. He has a great record in Australia because the ball doesn't do a lot, providing consistent bounce and movement off the pitch.

His average in Australia and South Africa is really good, both nations produce similar pitches, while his average literally everywhere else (excluding the 2 tests in Bangladesh and 2 in UAE) is poor. Has a high score of 71 in India, while less experienced players Handscomb, Maxwell and Renshaw scored centuries on rank pitches and dust bowls. I'd say his average in England and New Zealand is a pretty good representation of his ability to deal with a seaming and swinging ball.

I'd say his average in England and New Zealand is a pretty good representation of his ability to deal with a seaming and swinging ball.
I would agree were it not for him carrying his bat for 123* during our fourth innings run chase against NZ in Hobart, 2011. That was as difficult a greentop as you'll see, and Bracewell/Southee/Boult were rampant.

As far as I am concerned, the ability has always been there. The application, not so much.

From Gideon Haigh:

David Warner is not a figure who readily elicits sympathy. He is regarded as too brash and too rich, as an unappetising mix of the privileged and the declasse. And he has, by his own admission, cheated at cricket.

Yet he may deserve more credit than many have been prepared to grudge him. Now alone among the Cape Town co-conspirators has he served his long penance quietly, tight with his family, mucking in at his club, and for what happened nine months ago blaming nobody but himself, publicly at least.

Declining to join Steve Smith and Cameron Bancroft on this week’s instalment of Rehabilitation Idol, Warner has compelled nobody to arbitrate on the ethics of advertising one’s good works or to parse any wacky word salads. He has solicited no soft-ball questions, sought no pity, refrained from invitations to self-forgiveness, and exchanged no matey pleasantries with interlocutors (“Good on ya mate, I know all of Australia wish you all the best”; “Thanks Gilly, good on ya mate”).

https://outline.com/kFUcaw

You can't make this up. Chris Gayle bowls the death over. David Warner struggles to connect for the first three balls. Then decides to bat right handed and hits the next three for 6,4,4 in the Bangladesh premier league.

Not sure what was that hip shake about..:D

You can't make this up. Chris Gayle bowls the death over. David Warner struggles to connect for the first three balls. Then decides to bat right handed and hits the next three for 6,4,4 in the Bangladesh premier league.

Not sure what was that hip shake about..:D

If he was Asian we'd be making bookiie gags. What a shame of a competition, these Mickey Mouse T20 tournaments, BBL included, are doing more harm to the game than good.

Come on he uses a bat that is nearly as big as he is and gets pies thrown at him on a freeway.
Flat pitches have ruined cricket.

Maybe I am starting to sound like my dad but back in the day Cricket was Cricket this s**t these days is just pathetic I remember the days when Ritchie could stick a massive Lockwood key down the crack of the pitch and half his hand would disapear.
Imagine playing on a pitch like that!!! Back in those days blokes like jack Edwards probably wouldn't have been allowed to grow their hair down to their ankles either!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back