Mega Thread The Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I see Whately has been on his high horse again. This time Michael Clarke was the object of his derision - who in turn didn't take long to provide a fairly robust riposte.

Whately really makes me sick with his strident moralising and false assumption that he represents the collective conscience.
It actually frustrates me that he has a voice in the media. So clueless, bias and an absolute w***er. If an AFL coach refuses to speak to you, but will speak to Mark Robinson, that's when you know you should retire from your job.

Champion data have released their rankings for 2019. Freo 17th overall, what a load of garabage

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/11/28/champion-data-reveals-2019-afl-list-rankings/
It just statistical right? So inexperienced teams (like us) will rank lower. It wouldn't surprise me if Champion Data ranks guys like Cerra or Brayshaw below guys like Touk Millar or Aaron Hall merely based on their better stats because they are a little more advanced in their careers.

It just statistical right? So inexperienced teams (like us) will rank lower. It wouldn't surprise me if Champion Data ranks guys like Cerra or Brayshaw below guys like Touk Millar or Aaron Hall merely based on their better stats because they are a little more advanced in their careers.
Correct. And players who have had significant injuries are also rated poorly because they don't have enough games in the rating window so it averages including those missed games - hence why Fyfe dropped way down in past seasons and then came screaming back up into top 3 this past season.

They've done a lot of work to determine which teams have lots of inexperienced youngsters and/or long term injuries to key players. Not particularly useful or insightful but AFL get to put up an article that gets the footy community talking (mostly complaining about how wrong ratings are) when there is no football to watch.

Still, it is in some sense a reality check. Especially for posters like me who are thinking finals. Lyon saying you need 15 players with 100+ games. We are a fair way off that. Experience does count.
Yes, but you would also think we have a lot of "natural" improvement left in our list merely because a lot of younger players will get better each year for the first half of their careers merely though having another pre-season under their belt.

Of course that doesn't always happen but, barring injuries, I would expect Ryan, Darcy, Cox, Banfield, Cerra, Brayshaw, Switkowski, Logue to all be better in 2019. Some of those guys aren't going to make it long-term but I think we are really on the upward path -- even before we start thinking about the mature forwards we have added who should help our system no end.

Finals for me!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still, it is in some sense a reality check. Especially for posters like me who are thinking finals. Lyon saying you need 15 players with 100+ games. We are a fair way off that. Experience does count.

None of the preliminary finalists in 2018 actually fielded teams with 15 or more players with 100+ games experience. Richmond currently have 15 on their list, Melbourne 8, West Coast 14 and Collingwood 17.

I think Ross has used a fair bit of licence with this figure. (Or to put it another way he may have just plucked a figure out of the air).

The signs for Freo are very encouraging. This consoles me for the frustrating, tired old media bias towards WC - as evidenced by a glowing piece on emerging cricketer Cameron Green who, we are told, is "as tall as Dean Cox" - really?

Conca
Fyfe
B Hill
Walters
Wilson (98)
S Hill

Plus
Sandi
Ballas
Mundy

Who are all in there last year.

PS - I am thinking finals as well, and I think as a club we have to otherwise we will waste the career of players like Fyfe, Hill, Hill and Walters

Last edited:
PS - I am thinking finals as well, and I think as a club we have to otherwise we will waste the career of players like Fyfe, Hill, Hill and Walters
Thinking Finals is the best way to develop the young players as well. They need to be being told they have the goods to get there. Especially now that some massive structural issues have been improved.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...enous-talent&usg=AOvVaw3yhktyO9Zw72Cbw7ivNuaH

As with the northern academies and father-son prospects, clubs have first call on players in their NGA at draft time and can choose to match a rival team's bid.

The main annoyance for the Crows, Power, Dockers and Eagles with the status quo is that all indigenous and multicultural prospects in Victoria are assigned to a club.

The idea would be to divide the unassigned metropolitan zones between the two clubs in SA and WA.

Another aspect to the proposal is what happens to the eligibility of those players who become top-20 draftees, such as South Australian whiz Izak Rankine in this year's edition.

I love the creativity in these articles. It's like they know it's a boring/nothing story but if you point to enough grassy knolls, you might just generate enough clicks to keep the bosses and advertisers happy.

A cynic might query the timing of this coming so soon after the latest Liam Ryan shenanigans.
Funny how The West, Perth Now,Channel 7 don't seem to no
tice anything sinister with the team they are major sponsors of.
We will see this story in the West with an Eagle player on the next page smiling at a photo op at a community camp
Don't buy or read their crappola....
One day there might be a media outlet in this town without an agenda who are fair and balanced_ wouldn't that be nice..(KARL)

So someone who has been at the club leaves since 2011 leaves. It sounds like Ms Horrocks went in to bat for a part-time employee who got some negative feedback and came off second best. Unlucky.

A "former insider" says "it's amazing how many good people have left". Rixx, Sutty, Johno, The Big Ape, Nads and SPurry must have been greatly admired. :D

Very slow news day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back