Bookmark it Richmond v Essendon 2019 Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Easy to say Essendon will be big improvers (which i think they will be) but they have not great depth (in terms of Key Position Player scoring) and a high possie, inside mid short (no, they can't have Paddy Cripps)

Hard to get a read on Richmond, i am not convinced Tom Lynch will their (admittedly) very few problems. West Coast are almost a near cert to return to the GF, given their depth, and i'd say Melbourne (provided Sam Weideman improves as I expect)

Eagles v Demons 2019 GF is my pre-season tip Not discounting Collingwood (terrific list with a great coach) ditto Richmond, but WCE and MFC seem to me the most flag capable ready teams in this point in time.

Easy to say Essendon will be big improvers (which i think they will be) but they have not great depth (in terms of Key Position Player scoring) and a high possie, inside mid short (no, they can't have Paddy Cripps)

Pretty confident that Daniher and Stringer combined with the best performing out of Mckernan/Stewart/Brown is enough KPF talent imo. Especially when you consider Collingwood almost won a Grand Final with Cox, Miocheck and DeGoey as their key targets .

As for the mids on paper we do lack a big bodied mid but over the season we were top 6 in clearance differential in the league which suggests it's an overblown issue. That being said we aren't immune to sides getting a hold of us and dominating the center so maybe a big bodied A grade mid is the missing component there .

Essendon's issues/question marks from 2018:

- Start of the season we were just plain bad which seemed to be a coaching issue. That being said no one would be surprised to see Essendon derailing their 2019 season with a bad form slump.

- Game plan is significantly different to that of Richmond/Collingwood in that to set up a lot of attacks from defence rather than forward 50 pressure. On the bright side it does share similarities to WCE.

- Question marks on top end talent. Despite everyone always talking about how important depth is it's your best players who win you premierships. Players with question marks:
- Daniher (OP can be tough to come back from and has only had one top year)
- Heppell (Hasn't been an absolute top line mid since his AA year)
- Shiel (How will he settle in)
- Fantasia (injury prone)
- Hooker (old)
Hurley (Needs to bounce back from a poor by his standards 2018)

3 first round exits. One where you snuck into 8th got belted and one ehere you lost to 9th.

Go back any further and the record gets worse as well.

To suggest Richmond weren't a regular overhyped side before 2017 is ludicrous.
Still Richmond were able to make consecutive finals something Essendon hasn't done for years and didn't didn't get beaten as bad as Essendon have in their last few finals

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty confident that Daniher and Stringer combined with the best performing out of Mckernan/Stewart/Brown is enough KPF talent imo. Especially when you consider Collingwood almost won a Grand Final with Cox, Miocheck and DeGoey as their key targets .

As for the mids on paper we do lack a big bodied mid but over the season we were top 6 in clearance differential in the league which suggests it's an overblown issue. That being said we aren't immune to sides getting a hold of us and dominating the center so maybe a big bodied A grade mid is the missing component there .

Essendon's issues/question marks from 2018:

- Start of the season we were just plain bad which seemed to be a coaching issue. That being said no one would be surprised to see Essendon derailing their 2019 season with a bad form slump.

- Game plan is significantly different to that of Richmond/Collingwood in that to set up a lot of attacks from defence rather than forward 50 pressure. On the bright side it does share similarities to WCE.

- Question marks on top end talent. Despite everyone always talking about how important depth is it's your best players who win you premierships. Players with question marks:
- Daniher (OP can be tough to come back from and has only had one top year)
- Heppell (Hasn't been an absolute top line mid since his AA year)
- Shiel (How will he settle in)
- Fantasia (injury prone)
- Hooker (old)
Hurley (Needs to bounce back from a poor by his standards 2018)
Good post

I think most premiership teams would have similar question marks at the start of the season which goes to show that things have to just click and you need a lot of luck

Most would have doubted WC would win a flag without Nic Nat and Gaff at the start of this year

There will be so many contenders next year. Gonna be a great season

Man the main board has gone downhill fast
tenor.gif

I have Richmond finishing 1st purely based on their draw, I didn't think they would finish 1st util I did the predictor and was surprised where they ended up. So they have every chance to make the GF again. But, I think Tigers won't be the dominate force they have been the last 2 seasons, I think other teams have caught up to them and they will lose some games that they should win in 2019. I wouldn't be surprised if Bombers win the flag tbh, but with all this preseason hype, I may start to wane off that opinion.

Would not be surprised either, if the Crows bolt into the top 2 and pinch a flag. A lot have forgotten just how good they were in 2017.

I have Richmond finishing 1st purely based on their draw, I didn't think they would finish 1st util I did the predictor and was surprised where they ended up. So they have every chance to make the GF again. But, I think Tigers won't be the dominate force they have been the last 2 seasons, I think other teams have caught up to them and they will lose some games that they should win in 2019. I wouldn't be surprised if Bombers win the flag tbh, but with all this preseason hype, I may start to wane off that opinion.

Would not be surprised either, if the Crows bolt into the top 2 and pinch a flag. A lot have forgotten just how good they were in 2017.
Well said.
A couple teams will beat us at the G and we will hopefully win a couple more interstate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back