Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 1

Assuming there were no obstacles, would you prefer the PB/Pylon guernsey to be our home colours?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
C'mon...Second preference should always be this:
snjFAfS.jpg
MATELOTS

Obviously this is not the goal of the campaign but I've always wondered what our legal rights would be on wearing the guernsey of our choice. I realise the AFL itself owns the copyright to all of the team names/colours/guernseys but there doesn't seem to be a lot of natural justice in the way this issue has always played out (ie literally every other professional sporting team on the planet gets to choose what they wear except us). Any opinion on this one MrMeaner?
I asked this question pages back the fact we wore it in 2014 leads me to believe the bluster of the AFL and Eddie wouldn't hold up if challenged but no one wants to go down that road obviously.

Until now
I mean legally lol you'd have so much material to present like other clubs having design changes, in Freo's case colours dropped, a number of clubs with similar colours etc. etc.

It should never come to legal action though just common sense.

I asked this question pages back the fact we wore it in 2014 leads me to believe the bluster of the AFL and Eddie wouldn't hold up if challenged but no one wants to go down that road obviously.
There is the precedent of the week leading up to the EF 2014. The AFL - Mark Evans, how ironic - told us we couldn’t wear our home BiB kit because of clash, and Richmond had no acceptable ‘away’ kit. By switching to Prison Bars in record time with AFL approval we created our own precedent.

Yeah it's weird. Something happened in 2014 in the lead up to us being allowed to wear them in that final.

"Despite the Power having an agreement with the AFL — to overcome sensitivities with Collingwood — that it would only wear the club’s black-and-white strips on significant occasions, the centenary of the national title has not met with the league’s approval."

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...l/news-story/c23318ec0ccc2989dc004d09341f9dbc

So they knocked us back when we wanted to celebrate the anniversary of the 1914 team and then screwed us around by saying we should wear our clash strip against Richmond because they didn't have one. Really we only wore the PBs in 2014 at all was because the AFL were made to look silly publically.

There is the precedent of the week leading up to the EF 2014. The AFL - Mark Evans, how ironic - told us we couldn’t wear our home BiB kit because of clash, and Richmond had no acceptable ‘away’ kit. By switching to Prison Bars in record time with AFL approval we created our own precedent.

The supreme irony from that situation is that Richmond, all credit to them, pushed hard after this event for their yellow with black sash alternative guernsey, that they ultimately won a premiership in.

I doubt there's a Tiger's supporter alive that would diminish that guernsey now. (it looked fantastic too, from a neutral perspective)

If they had that prior to 2014, we would not have had the opportunity to create the precedent of wearing that guernsey in a winning Elimination final at home.

IMO, this is the single biggest argument FOR wearing them more often.

We've worn them and things went well. Even for Richmond... eventually.

I mean legally lol you'd have so much material to present like other clubs having design changes, in Freo's case colours dropped, a number of clubs with similar colours etc. etc.

It should never come to legal action though just common sense.

Haha I know what you meant. Just reading this thread gets me pumped hahaha!!

Yeah it's weird. Something happened in 2014 in the lead up to us being allowed to wear them in that final.

"Despite the Power having an agreement with the AFL — to overcome sensitivities with Collingwood — that it would only wear the club’s black-and-white strips on significant occasions, the centenary of the national title has not met with the league’s approval."

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...l/news-story/c23318ec0ccc2989dc004d09341f9dbc

So they knocked us back when we wanted to celebrate the anniversary of the 1914 team and then screwed us around by saying we should wear our clash strip against Richmond because they didn't have one. Really we only wore the PBs in 2014 at all was because the AFL were made to look silly publically.
The flips and turns on permission to wear the Bars throughout our AFL journey actually gives us leverage if we ever need to take action as it highlights stupidity splendidly.

The whole situation was a complete farce.

In the space of 3 weeks we played Carlton on a very significant anniversary sans Bars because reasons, told to wear our clash jumper in a home final because reasons but then allowed to wear the Bars instead because reasons.

There was no logic to any of it and to top it all off Richmond rocked up in their “clash jumper” with the yellow sides anyway. The AFL is run by complete morons.

The whole situation was a complete farce.

In the space of 3 weeks we played Carlton on a very significant anniversary sans Bars because reasons, told to wear our clash jumper in a home final because reasons but then allowed to wear the Bars instead because reasons.

There was no logic to any of it and to top it all off Richmond rocked up in their “clash jumper” with the yellow sides anyway. The AFL is run by complete morons.
What a week it was haha including the famous 5AA stitch-up with the Tealster choir ringing up in tears which all came to an abrupt end after Rowe received an off-air phone call.. priceless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The board meeting is today and we only have 5500 signatures.

I feel like the deadline was sprung onto us too quickly.

I think it was an arbitrary number plucked out of thin air and thrown into cyberspace.

I'm really not sure how it helped anything.

The board meeting is today and we only have 5500 signatures.

I feel like the deadline was sprung onto us too quickly.

It was just used to spur us on. They’ll most definitely be talking about it.

There's no real valid reason why we can't do what brizzy do with the old fitzroy colours.
Pb a handful of times a year, black chevron a handful of times, the white / Grey / teal chevron a few times too.. It really shouldn't be that hard..

Just posted a link to the petition on the Carlton board, we're bonding over us wanting them to do well next year to piss off the Crows and them wanting the PB's back to piss off Collingwood. Brought up the Craig Bradley connection too.

There's no real valid reason why we can't do what brizzy do with the old fitzroy colours.
Pb a handful of times a year, black chevron a handful of times, the white / Grey / teal chevron a few times too.. It really shouldn't be that hard..
Brisbane have no right to wear the lions Guernsey spit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back