Draft Review 2015 - Redo the 2015 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

what's Curnow actually done though? 30 goals is decent. But it's not proven performance of a definite number 2 of the draft. People just look at him, see Kouta in him, fall in love with his delts, and fantasize about what he could be. And that's not to say he won't be, but it's nothing but conjecture at this point.

Oliver, clear number 1, no arguments no debate necessary. Until (if) someone starts doing some serious work he is number 1.

Now, that sensible s**t is out of the way, let me flip midstream into that annoying partisan poster, and state that based on the way Francis looks right now - as athletic as ****; and the fact that he's actually now training with the midfield group; it would appear the penny has finally dropped. And by all means poo-poo this as much as you want to and (and you are fully entitled to), but I've rarely ever been this excited about what a player could bring to my club. Hngghhh

What he's done is take the best defender each week since about halfway through 2017 (20 year-old) at CHF in a side with an absolutely deplorable delivery into the forward 50 and somehow still kicked over 1.5 goals/game.

Most up and coming talls will play second fiddle and get the second-best defender to develop on for quite some time longer than Curnow. Most will also not be placed one-out with another 20 y/r key forward against about 8 Adelaide defenders (see Round 23 and numerous other games this year) ... seriously until Curnow plays in a semi-good side (one where he isn't triple-teamed because we actually have other forward threats for the opposition to worry about), it's almost impossible for him to show any more than what he has.

Put any of the Coleman-medal top 5 from this year into that Carlton side and I honestly believe that 40-45 goals would be their limit. Go and watch most of our games, particularly noting delivery to our forwards is you're unsure about that.

So in a way I agree that he hasn't really shown 'stardom' yet, but I honestly don't think he's had a chance to.

Francis I agree with - watched him a couple of times this year when it looked like things had clicked for him and wow. Could still be the best player of the draft by career's end if it all goes well for him from here onwards.

Last edited:
Top 20 if I were picking them as of now:
1. Oliver
2. Curnow
3. Hipwood
4. Mills
5. Francis
6. Gresham
7. Dunkley
8. Weiderman
9. Himmelberg
10. Sier
11. Doedee
12. Phillips
13. Hopper
14. Milera
15. Parish
16. Rioli
17. Hardwick
18. Williams
19. Papley
20. McDonald-Tipungwuti

Hard to rate these kids as most are sun 50 games so most are still developing but I think Oliver, Gresham, Curnow and Mills are a clear top 4 then arguments could be made for 10-15 players who have
Impacted games greatly
Played roles in over 20 games
Then I would have a 3rd group of those still hard to judge around the 10 game mark although arguments could be made for Sier, Weideman and Francis as they have shown a lot in the limited games they have played and if those 3 can play most of next season they will move into top 10 calculations IMO
I would have Hopper and Himmelburg both around number 10 picked and both will be best 22 in 2019 so should hold around that mark

1. Oliver
2. Curnow
3. Hipwood
4. Mills
5. Francis
6. Gresham
7. Dunkley
8. Weiderman
9. Himmelberg
10. Sier
11. Doedee
12. Phillips
13. Hopper
14. Milera
15. Parish
16. Rioli
17. Hardwick
18. Williams
19. Papley
20. McDonald-Tipungwuti

How can Francis be at 5????

He has done absolutely NOTHING. Or is this a potential end of career list?

1. Oliver
2. Curnow
3. Hipwood
4. Mills
5. Francis
6. Gresham
7. Dunkley
8. Weiderman
9. Himmelberg
10. Sier
11. Doedee
12. Phillips
13. Hopper
14. Milera
15. Parish
16. Rioli
17. Hardwick
18. Williams
19. Papley
20. McDonald-Tipungwuti

Francis way too high, based on the very few games he's played so far probably doesn't even deserve to be top20. That may change after next season though. But having him at 5 right now would be purely based on potential.

Rest of the list is pretty close to spot on though.

We are talking Richmond Rioli not Hawks or Weagles Rioli... ;)

35d6fc8dbf9c73da333e19db8185bf24

That one?

The Oliver v Curnow decision in my mind could go either way.
Oliver is next level with regards to his inside work, they're insanely helpful at AFL level.
Then again Curnow as a modern day forward for his age is very rare.

I personally would have Curnow slightly infront due to the difficulty of obtaining talls with his ability.
But there is no doubt a little bit of team bias in there as well. Both teams are very happy with their selections.

Oliver is next level with regards to his inside work, they're insanely helpful at AFL level.

I personally would have Curnow slightly infront due to the difficulty of obtaining talls with his ability.
But there is no doubt a little bit of team bias in there as well. Both teams are very happy with their selections.

Oliver is miles in front of Curnow and it’s not even worth a discussion otherwise

Could have had both.

1.Oliver
8. McKay
12. Curnow
24. Dunkley
50. Menegola

What a dream draft that would have been.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oliver is comfortably in front of anyone from this draft at present. Not saying the other couldn’t overtake him but will take a decent effort. Surely Oliver also has some development and improvement left in him. I mean if he has peaked and continues at the current standard he’ll have a great career. Likely being a multiple best and fairest and AA.
In 60 games he has achieved a lot. AA and a Best and Fairest. Runner up this year.

I personally don't think so.

As a neutral fan, I don’t think so either. Oliver has achieved more for sure, but if the draft is starting today I’m probably taking Curnow no matter what team it is. Oliver reminds me of Scotty West (one of my favourite players I might add) and that’s more than you could ask for from a top draftee, but Curnows overhead marking mainly is the reason why I’d take him. Not to mention you can pinch hit him in the midfield like Jarryd Roughead and it’s a player to have. I think most Hawks supporters would call Roughy a top 3 important player at the club during their success, might of even been #1 if they didn’t have Hodgey. In saying that you’re not gonna pick the wrong dude whoever you pick.

What? Oliver is an AA and has won a b&f. How can you make an argument that he is not a long way in front? Curnow might catch him but as it stands Oliver is the better footballer.

1. Curnow is a tall and traditionally they take longer to develop
2. I personally think Curnow is in the top 6 or so tall forwards currently playing AFL.
3. It is harder to find talls than midfielders

These a three personally valid reasons for me thinking they are a lot more closely rated than yourself. I also have Curnow ahead of Oliver. THIS DOES NOT MEAN THAT OLIVER IS NOT A RARE TALENT. I just personally think Curnow is one of the best forwards going around.

2. I personally think Curnow is in the top 6 or so tall forwards currently playing AFL.

These a three personally valid reasons for me thinking they are a lot more closely rated than yourself. I also have Curnow ahead of Oliver. THIS DOES NOT MEAN THAT OLIVER IS NOT A RARE TALENT. I just personally think Curnow is one of the best forwards going around.
Buddy, Kennedy, Brown, Daniher, Lynch, Riewoldt, Darling, Hogan, Hawkins, Walker, Cameron - which forwards is he better than?

Buddy, Kennedy, Brown, Daniher, Lynch, Riewoldt, Darling, Hogan, Hawkins, Walker, Cameron - which forwards is he better than?
Maybe a little aspect of age being part of the process.

Cameron, Lynch and Daniher should be rated higher currently. Thinking of age. Hogan is around the same mark for me.
The rest are closer to the end than the start.

Curnow has excellent potential but he’s not in the top 6 or so forwards.

Top 10 if I were picking them as of now, not based on needs but what I think they will offer moving forward. A bit of a bias towards talls as they are typically harder to find:

1. Oliver
2. Hipwood
3. Rioli
4. Curnow
5. Doedee
6. Milera
7. Burton
8. Mills
9. Weitering
10. Menagola
11. Phillips
12. Himmelberg
13. Francis
14. Parish
15. Gresham
16. AcHee
17. Hopper
18. Papley
19. Weiderman
20. Mathieson

Lol menegola averaged 25 disposals, 6 marks and 5 tackles a game this year.
I think he is underrated generally. Every time I see him play he has a real impact. The last time we played the Cats Tomlinson was given the job of minding him, that's a mark of respect from Leon who rarely tags.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back