Who would you rate as the strongest premiership side in the AFL era?

Which premiership team would you rate as the strongest of the AFL era?

• Collingwood 1990

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Hawthorn 1991

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • West Coast 92-94

Votes: 15 2.4%
  • Essendon 1993

• Carlton 1995

Votes: 26 4.1%
  • North 96-99

Votes: 17 2.7%
  • Adelaide 97-98

• Essendon 2000

Votes: 83 13.1%
  • Brisbane 2001-2003

Votes: 206 32.4%
  • Port 2004

• Sydney 2005

• West Coast 2006

• Geelong 2007-2011

Votes: 101 15.9%
  • Hawthorn 2008

• Collingwood 2010

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Sydney 2012

• Hawthorn 2013-2015

Votes: 103 16.2%
  • Bulldogs 2016

Votes: 14 2.2%
  • Richmond 2017

Votes: 33 5.2%
  • West Coast 2018

Votes: 11 1.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s a pretty silly way to measure dominance. No team that loses eight games in a season is dominant in any measure.

If we had an extra 10% salary cap and free pickings of the AFL’s worst team, we’d probably have won some premierships in the early 00’s too.

Which free pickings were premiership players? List all of them.

Hahaha! You seriously believe that? Voss would've done his own don't argue on the little squirt! Dusty would've shat his pants!

I get the feeling you weren't old enough to grasp how Voss played.
Voss would have absolutely cleaned up Dusty. Saw him many times up close along the boundary at the Gabba in 01-03... was an absolute beast!

Might be struggling with this one, my memory isn't that good - but I think Martin Pike, Alistair Lynch & Jarrod Molloy also came across?? ... again, not 100% sure they all came at the same time?
I think Pike came across after North Melbourne and Molloy had left the Lions before the threepeat. Just from memory. Could be wrong.

You seem like a knowledge lad ... care to educate me on how much Justin Leppitsch was paid as a runner after he retired? ;)
... Not for one moment saying Lions weren’t a brilliant side ... but they were very, very well looked after by the AFL.
Well you see have the inside word, how's the Hawthorne coterie group gone with property deals for your club? If you think Brisbane has been looked after then you've got rocks in your head

It's not random, it was born out of observation at the time

Sounds reasonable, go ahead, apply your markers & let everyone know what you come with.

You appear to be the guy with nothing better to do so feel free to plagiarise my ideas and do the work.

At the end of the day premierships are what players and fans want so it’s really a moot point.

Hahaha! You seriously believe that? Voss would've done his own don't argue on the little squirt! Dusty would've shat his pants!

I get the feeling you weren't old enough to grasp how Voss played.

This is hilarious.

Dusty is great but not on the Voss or Buckley level. Closer to the Dane Swan echelon

You appear to be the guy with nothing better to do so feel free to plagiarise my ideas and do the work.

At the end of the day premierships are what players and fans want so it’s really a moot point.
You've got some dribble running down to your chin Brett.

I'll give you Voss his leadership puts him just above Dusty, but lol Buckley is nowhere near Dusty
Not interested debating who is the better player but nowhere near is a joke.

Buckley was an absolute champion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton 1995 in terms of any single performance, they were a juggernaut.

If you’re talking eras, Brisbane’s 3-peat, then kind of a toss up between Hawthorn 3-peat or Geelong’s 3-in-5.

Lot of oddities though - for example West Coast 1991 was one of the most dominant teams I’ve seen, but didn’t win the flag. And some 1-hit wonders that couldn’t back up for the next year. eg. 1995, 2000, 2007, 2009 and 2011.

Carlton 1995 in terms of any single performance, they were a juggernaut.

If you’re talking eras, Brisbane’s 3-peat, then kind of a toss up between Hawthorn 3-peat or Geelong’s 3-in-5.

Lot of oddities though - for example West Coast 1991 was one of the most dominant teams I’ve seen, but didn’t win the flag. And some 1-hit wonders that couldn’t back up for the next year. eg. 1995, 2000, 2007, 2009 and 2011.
LOL

Dude Dusty is bigger than Voss
Voss was much stronger ... Voss was harder at the contest ... Voss had no fear...
i was at that game at Subi oval in 98 when Voss went for that ball against Shane Parker ... no fear he launched himself at it and suffered possibly the most gut churning injury shattering his leg .. that courage is something Dusty is a long way short of ... Dusty is a more skilled player but Voss had more heart, more determination and more leadership in his little toe than Dusty does .. on grit and determination alone Voss would destroy Dusty

Voss was much stronger ... Voss was harder at the contest ... Voss had no fear...
i was at that game at Subi oval in 98 when Voss went for that ball against Shane Parker ... no fear he launched himself at it and suffered possibly the most gut churning injury shattering his leg .. that courage is something Dusty is a long way short of ... Dusty is a more skilled player but Voss had more heart, more determination and more leadership in his little toe than Dusty does .. on grit and determination alone Voss would destroy Dusty
No doubting Voss's hardness or courage however in a contest of pure physical strenght I feel Dusty would have him covered

So both teams had dominant seasons. Both teams had stars on every line. One got an unlucky bounce and no trophies, the other destroyed all other finalists and won the premiership. But the Saints would have killed Richmond. Righto, mate.
firstly St Kilda 09 didnt have stars on every line but the stars we had more than covered the likes of McQualter, Eddy and Clarke..
Richmond 17 has two stars (Dusty & Cotch)... they had two exception players (Rance & Cousin Jack) the rest were role players who happened to click perfectly at the same time to make a charge at a flag .. much like the Dogs the year earlier everything clicked at the right time every 50/50 tilted in their favour and they rode that wave to an impressive grand final win.. congrats to them for that but as a team they were in no way stronger than the 2007 Cats ,2008 Hawks or the 2008 Cats , 2009 Cats or the 2009 Saints or the 2009 Dogs , 2004 Power or the 2004 Lions or 2004 Saints or 2004 Cats, the 2006 WCE or the 2006 Swans, the 2000 Bombers, 2001 Lions or the 2001 Bombers ..... i could go on

The same concessions every single club is afforded.

So you're saying that the past players of the club you support are as sterile as the minds of those who recruited them?
You stated the Brisbane and Hawthorn 3 peats where due to draft concessions from bottoming out, but Geelong drafted their way too their premierships. You were suggesting that makes those premierships better.

Drafting Ablett, Scarlett and Hawkins with very late picks as they were in those days not exactly brilliant work by the club is it. More a no brainr,, there was also N Ablett and Blake but we won't bother with them.

You got these players on a silver platter and still could not manage 3 in a row so don't downplay lions and hawks 3 peats as being due to concessions.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Might be struggling with this one, my memory isn't that good - but I think Martin Pike, Alistair Lynch & Jarrod Molloy also came across?? ... again, not 100% sure they all came at the same time?

Pike was lucky enough to go to North for the '99 Flag, then to Brisbane for '01, '02 and '03.

No doubting Voss's hardness or courage however in a contest of pure physical strenght I feel Dusty would have him covered
not even close ... the physical atributes of players in the early 2000's to the players today is much much differant ... players today are not made to be a physically strong and imposing as they were in the early 2000's due to the fact they all basically run a marathon now days ... dusty is strong for a modern day footballer but put Voss at his peak running head on into Dusty and Dusty wakes up a week later ... theres a reason why records like Fraser Gehrig's bench press from the early 2000's still stand because the players are built for endurance now not for pure strength

if in 5 years time the tigers are 3 flags deep then yeah we could conceed they are in the mix for dominance .. but on 2017 alone .. not even close

Not even comparable yet but it’s still the best individual finals series of all times

Back