Delisted 13. Liam Stocker

Remove this Banner Ad

Reid: "Can we do the deal?"
SoS: "Not until we know our player is still on the board."
Reid: "Oh ok. But can we do the deal?"
SoS: "wtf? I just explained this. No."
Reid: "ok ok ok, I got it. Now, about this deal...."

That's reid trying to put pressure on SOS to get the deal done. Keep in mind it's not unedited footage

Great video. Had to watch it twice and will probably watch it a handful more times.

Shows you need you put your trust in your list manager.
Swan's picks, with Agresta as National Recruiting Co-ordinator from 2011-2014 and Recruiting Operations Manager from 2014-2017:
2011 Pick 21 Tom Mitchell
2011 Pick 93 Harry Cunningham (rookie)
2012 Pick 16 Jake Lloyd (rookie)
2012 Pick 37 Dane Rampe (rookie)
2013 Pick 15 Zak Jones
2013 Pick 32 George Hewett
2013 Pick 35 Toby Nankervis
2013 Pick 44 Aliir Aliir
2014 Pick 18 Isaac Heeney
2015 Pick 3 Callum Mills
2015 Pick 14 Tom Papley (rookie)
2016 Pick 11 Oliver Florent
2016 Pick 21 Will Hayward
2016 Pick 17 Ben Ronke (rookie)

Last edited:

I didn't see it that way at all.
SOS manufactured the deal in response to his recruiters advice and that makes for perfect sense.
I've now seen the answers to my questions about how the mechanism operates. I now applaud and respect it.

Yeah that is the way i saw it too. Agesta, Brodie and SOS all have input in the recruiting and they come up with a list between the 3 of them i'd say. But then SOS makes the final decision on what actually happens in the end. How they can get their best results. In the video he clearly makes the decision to go ahead with the deal.

I think you're wrong if you're suggesting SOS isn't part of the ranking of players. He's still involved in that as far as i know. Maybe i'm wrong on that as of this year. The way i see it is Agresta, Brodie and SOS would all sit down and put the final list together.

It seems like a harmonius triumvirate to me. All in their right lane.

Great video. Had to watch it twice and will probably watch it a handful more times.

Shows you need you put your trust in your list manager.
While at the Swan's, don't know if Agresta had the final say, but here are their picks:
2011 Pick 21 Tom Mitchell
2011 Pick 93 Harry Cunningham (rookie)
2012 Pick 16 Jake Lloyd (rookie)
2012 Pick 37 Dane Rampe (rookie)
2013 Pick 15 Zak Jones
2013 Pick 32 George Hewett
2013 Pick 35 Toby Nankervis
2013 Pick 44 Aliir Aliir
2014 Pick 18 Isaac Heeney
2015 Pick 3 Callum Mills
2015 Pick 14 Tom Papley (rookie)
2016 Pick 11 Oliver Florent
2016 Pick 21 Will Hayward
2016 Pick 17 Ben Ronke (rookie)
Colin O'Riordan doesnt look too bad either with his first few games in the 2nd half of the year.

Yeah that is the way i saw it too. Agesta, Brodie and SOS all have input in the recruiting and they come up with a list between the 3 of them i'd say. But then SOS makes the final decision on what actually happens in the end. How they can get their best results. In the video he clearly makes the decision to go ahead with the deal.

I think you're wrong if you're suggesting SOS isn't part of the ranking of players. He's still involved in that as far as i know. Maybe i'm wrong on that as of this year. The way i see it is Agresta, Brodie and SOS would all sit down and put the final list together.

It seems like a harmonius triumvirate to me. All in their right lane.

Hard to say for sure from a distance but it seemed to me that Brodie sold the notion of Stocker as being the right pick for the CFC, first up.
The rating would have then been manufactured via the recruiting department as a whole and the noise emanating via the Head Recruiter in Brodie.

This noise would have and should have been absorbed by SOS, to put in place the manufacturing of the acquisition.
It's pretty clear to me that Brodie made the sell to the LM division in order for them to manufacture the end result. Perfect sense

I realise that, but it was just so futile. Did the Gibbs trade fiasco teach him nothing?

10cp has said that the #16 deal involved later pick(s) and you can hear SOS tell Reid that we need those for some "kids" ... but i also i got the impression Reid was trying to get the #16 deal done BEFORE pick #15 had even happened, which, if we had agreed, may have resulted in Blues having #16 but with Stocker off to the Cats (?).

think i saw someone mention that SOS appeared icy towards Bolts during the exchange of handshakes and congrats etc ... but it appeared to me that SOS was facing Bolts when he smiled and did his little fist pump ... perhaps at the point the handshakes were happening SOS was reflecting on the enormity of it all ...

anyway, very enjoyable vid ... kudos to CFC

Hard to say for sure from a distance but it seemed to me that Brodie sold the notion of Stocker as being the right pick for the CFC, first up.
The rating would have then been manufactured via the recruiting department as a whole and the noise emanating via the Head Recruiter in Brodie.

This noise would have and should have been absorbed by SOS, to put in place the manufacturing of the acquisition.
It's pretty clear to me that Brodie made the sell to the LM division in order for them to manufacture the end result. Perfect sense

Yeah it is perfect sense and it may be the case. SOS may have stepped back from the hands on recruiting this year. But to me SOS and Brodie have long been a team. They trust each other implicitly and work well as a team. Whether SOS is still hands on or just overseeing is moot i suppose. I just assumed that he was.

It's just good that us longtime sceptics(realists) now both get a strong feel of the right process being in place.

Results spoke strongly with our old process and i think we both believe that results will speak strongly of the current process.

This Stocker fella.

Round One material??

Don't think so Stig.

Sounds like Walsh is a fair way more advanced. Stocker has a bit of conditioning to get done first i reckon. I'm thinking later in the year for him. They clearly think he will be a ripper though. The words they use about him "tough" and "competitive" and "dual sided skill" are music to my ears.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah it is perfect sense and it may be the case. SOS may have stepped back from the hands on recruiting this year. But to me SOS and Brodie have long been a team. They trust each other implicitly and work well as a team. Whether SOS is still hands on or just overseeing is moot i suppose. I just assumed that he was.

It's just good that us longtime sceptics(realists) now both get a strong feel of the right process being in place.

Results spoke strongly with our old process and i think we both believe that results will speak strongly of the current process.

Not sure when the game was in the season timeline up in Ballarat but SOS must have made the trek with Brodie as he backed up his disposal, particularly his left, with the vid doesn’t tell the story on how bad/tricky the wind was that day.

Well that was a fantastic video , well done to the club in putting it out there ... fan engagement is very important.
Impressed with our staff and gee , hasnt Silvagni got presence !!
Young Reid must be almost resigned to the fact now that he does business with SOS on SOS's terms ...
not many friendly salutations - very business like when against the clock - yep, no, we don't do the deal unless he's still there, thanks reidy, call us back, etc........full on and exciting to witness.......

I’m obsessed with this video, ha ha, and I have watched it at least 10 times now. I find it really interesting that first part of the video. In the very first shot it seems SOS is explaining the idea of the trade to someone sitting off screen. I’m pretty sure it is Bolts as I think it is his voice that replies. The next shot they are all huddled around watching footage of Liam and Bolts asks “which number?”. Jumper no. 7.

My guess is that the LM team already had him as their number 6 and was trying to convince Bolts that he was worth doing the trade. My guess is also that when SOS was explaining the trade Bolts wanted to know more about the kid and hence showing him the video.

At the end of the video, Bolts says to both Brodie and SOS “backed yourself in”.

Last edited:
Thought Jo was on the phone for a moment here ....

"Yeah, Im gonna be home late tomorrow as well, it's live trading and I've got reid on the other end I gotta... I know I said that and I thought I would have time to chat but we might be getting back into the 1st round I really gotta.... No we'll get Ben tomorrow, Im gotta do this first... yeah Ill pick some up one way home, yeah Juddy just be ready alright, no not you babe.. ok I love you too bye"

10cp has said that the #16 deal involved later pick(s) and you can hear SOS tell Reid that we need those for some "kids" ... but i also i got the impression Reid was trying to get the #16 deal done BEFORE pick #15 had even happened, which, if we had agreed, may have resulted in Blues having #16 but with Stocker off to the Cats (?).

think i saw someone mention that SOS appeared icy towards Bolts during the exchange of handshakes and congrats etc ... but it appeared to me that SOS was facing Bolts when he smiled and did his little fist pump ... perhaps at the point the handshakes were happening SOS was reflecting on the enormity of it all ...

anyway, very enjoyable vid ... kudos to CFC
I agree with the Bolts-SOS thing. I just mentioned in my previous post about how I think SOS and Brodie sold the idea to Bolts who I think may have been a bit apprehensive about it. He obviously came around though as the trade happened and all seem very happy. Bolts says “backed yourself in mate”. I think it was nothing more than that.