Prediction Best 22 for 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

You can play as many tall forwards as limited by defensive pressure.
How mobile is Corbett?
Seems like his best attribute is marking, is he agile as well? Like Jack Gunston agile?
Corbett’s main skill is his marking ability. He takes pack marks against guys bigger than him and knows where the goals are. He also has some wheels, so you get the big man marking in a medium body with a small man’s stamina.
Lukosius seems to be a winger for mine, at least until he learns to win marking contests and then the game will be at his mercy. Rankine will be lock and load, while it wouldn’t surprise me even if Day ends up riding the bench and drifting forward or back when needed.

Corbett’s main skill is his marking ability. He takes pack marks against guys bigger than him and knows where the goals are. He also has some wheels, so you get the big man marking in a medium body with a small man’s stamina.
Lukosius seems to be a winger for mine, at least until he learns to win marking contests and then the game will be at his mercy. Rankine will be lock and load, while it wouldn’t surprise me even if Day ends up riding the bench and drifting forward or back when needed.
So the question was is he agile? What’s his defensive pressure going to be like. Peter Wright has great stamina but is as slow as s**t and provides next to zero defensive pressure.
If Corbett cannot provide good defensive pressure I don’t care how good a mark he is, he won’t play in a forward line with Sam day and Peter Wright. The tall forwards will be 2 of those guys. If he can provide good defensive pressure then he could play a 3rd tall forward role.
Agree lukosius, he’s a winger/flanker for the time being and not a certainty for round 1. Obviously rankine will play from round 1.

So the question was is he agile? What’s his defensive pressure going to be like. Peter Wright has great stamina but is as slow as s**t and provides next to zero defensive pressure.
If Corbett cannot provide good defensive pressure I don’t care how good a mark he is, he won’t play in a forward line with Sam day and Peter Wright. The tall forwards will be 2 of those guys. If he can provide good defensive pressure then he could play a 3rd tall forward role.
Agree lukosius, he’s a winger/flanker for the time being and not a certainty for round 1. Obviously rankine will play from round 1.
Everybody raves about Lukosius's tank, his reading of the game and best long kick. I predict he will start round 1 on flank. Cameron mentioned that King will probably start his career forward. He is a stick but it would not surprise me if Suns play him 5-10 games this year to expose him to AFL level.

Corbett's highlight reel just shows his marking, leading and goalkicking, so I can't answer the agility question. Rankine has a small knock on his defensive pressure, so it will interesting to see how the new guys shape up in the forward pressure stakes. Corbett could end up with plenty of marks if he just trails Day and the ball sails over the defender to him. From what I saw, he provides good leads and his team mates always had an eye out for him to find space and his safe hands ensured he wasn't spoiled.

B Harbrow Thompson Ah Chee
HB Murdoch Day Hanley
C Weller Swallow Ballard
HF Lukosius Wright Corbett
F Rankine Martin Ainsworth

Foll: Miles Brodie Witts
Int: Fiorini Holman Miller Bowes

FWD
I think that fwd line is a potentially awkward one for teams to line up on. All are strong marking players and all play completely differently.
Id start Jack deep forward. He can dead set take the ball at a higher point that 2mp if he gets a run at it. Rotating through the midfield if we are getting no supply. Realistically I see one of the new guys coming out for Sexton in the fwd line, but Sexton is my whipping boy.

MID
We look slow on paper through the midfield and probably are. I think we will compete ok though. Expect 2 of (hope!) Bowes, Fiorini, Brodie to breakout this year and help improve us in the middle.

BACK
I rate Day as our best CHB option though will be suprised if he lines up there rnd 1. He is an underated field kick and is good in tight with clean hands for a big bloke. Thompson had a great year this year, Pretty underrated and had alot better year than May. Probably look like a lockdown defender short in my list but Joyce didn't impress me much last year overall so doesn't get a spot. Maybe Ballard on HBF and Hanley on the wing. Or Bowes HBF.

One thing I know is its bloody hard coming up with a team if we are all fit.

Last edited:
HB Murdoch Day Hanley
C Weller Swallow Ballard

FWD
I think that fwd line is a potentially awkward one for teams to line up on. All are strong marking players and all play completely differently.
Id start Jack deep forward. He can dead set take the ball at a higher point that 2mp if he gets a run at it. Rotating through the midfield if we are getting no supply. Realistically I see one of the new guys coming out for Sexton in the fwd line, but Sexton is my whipping boy.

MID
We look slow on paper through the midfield and probably are. I think we will compete ok though. Expect 2 of (hope!) Bowes, Fiorini, Brodie to breakout this year and help improve us in the middle.

BACK
I rate Day as our best CHB option though will be suprised if he lines up there rnd 1. He is an underated field kick and is good in tight with clean hands for a big bloke. Thompson had a great year this year, Pretty underrated and had alot better year than May. Probably look like a lockdown defender short in my list but Joyce didn't impress me much last year overall so doesn't get a spot. Maybe Ballard on HBF and Hanley on the wing. Or Bowes HBF.

It's a nice team and some ballsy selections there too.

You are stark raving mad for leaving Sexton out because he will be one of the first selected (I know, I know, he kicks it into the man on the mark every other game and it has given you bleeding on the brain, but there is so much else he does that is sublime it makes up for it, besides which I reckon most of the time the defenders get away with encroaching the mark because he has a rep of kicking into the man on the mark).

Day to CHB is a fantastic option, although I think we'll see it as a swing move rather than starting position. We'll miss May's distribution, so Day is the best in that regard. Martin would be great cover for Day in the forward line, which he would do for parts of the game anyway when Wright or Day chop out in the ruck. I actually see Day as a bench rider and dispatched to wherever he's needed, switching forward and back, on hand to relieve in the ruck, sit in the goal square, spoil contested ball coming into defensive 50, and, as you say, deliver passes by foot to set up from halfback. I'm interested that you went for Day and yet only 6 talls. I'm on board for 7 or even 8 talls, given the skillsets of our talls and the fact that Ballard and Lukosius could provide height out on the wings in addition to height down back and up front.

HB Murdoch Day Hanley
C Weller Swallow Ballard

FWD

MID

BACK

Posting on the whole has been turgid in here since Draft
This is a beauty
Concise, thoughtful.....and more importantly I agree with all of it except Sexy

The last couple of spots in the team are so hard. Sexton will be one of the first selected I agree. He had a bit of a license to do whatever he wanted up fwd last year when we had our injuries, and to his credit he played some amazing footy. I just dont think his brand is sustainable, if it is then I'll happily be proved wrong.

Regarding the talls, I think if Jack is up fwd he can play tall and expect Luko and Corbett to play tall also. gives us a bit more speed across the park as we arent a lightning quick team so need it where we can get it. Well thats my take on it anyway, but agree they didnt get Collins, Hombsch, & King to not play them at some point....

The last couple of spots in the team are so hard. Sexton will be one of the first selected I agree. He had a bit of a license to do whatever he wanted up fwd last year when we had our injuries, and to his credit he played some amazing footy. I just dont think his brand is sustainable, if it is then I'll happily be proved wrong.

Regarding the talls, I think if Jack is up fwd he can play tall and expect Luko and Corbett to play tall also. gives us a bit more speed across the park as we arent a lightning quick team so need it where we can get it. Well thats my take on it anyway, but agree they didnt get Collins, Hombsch, & King to not play them at some point....
I fixed your best 22 :)

B Harbrow Thompson Murdoch
HB Ballard Hombsh Hanley
C Weller Swallow Lukosius
HF Sexton Wright Martin
F Rankine Day Ainsworth

Int: Fiorini Macpherson Miller Bowes

To be honest preseason will decide a lot of spots. We certainly got some depth and mature bodies to step in if young players are not up to it or get injured. 14 new players will take time to gel. I hope 1 year under Dew already, normal schedule, new coaches and Alex Rigby will make the difference. Not having May and Lynch should help to unite the team. I could not watch their fed up faces anymore. We still have the youngest list. Less injuries please! I predict 6 wins.

Truth is you could name any side you like and it will be decent. There just aren't any spots that don't have another player who could fill it and Dew seems to have his wish for versatile players that can play multiple positions. We know Murdoch can fly down the wings, but he's also an option in defence who can break the lines and set up our counter attack with some run. Joyce may or may not be first choice, but you know he'll do a good job if he is picked and if he's relegated there are opportunities to shift him around in the NEAFL. Ah Chee is another who is in and out of a lot of top 22s and although I reckon he is destined to be a crafty forward, he did show some flair in defence (except for that one game where he had more clangers than actual possessions).

The midfield is a question of who to play inside and how to get more out of the existing group. Miller is undoubtedly a great tagger, but he has limitations in that regard when the target is too big so you wonder if he might play some time as a high half forward or on the wing where his pace can make him a better outside option. Ditto for Fiorini, who is good inside but could be elite outside. I want Bowes and Weller in the midfield and out of defence where they are wasted. Miles, Horlin-Smith and Ellis will be the camp competition for Brodie, Ainsworth and Swallow, and I think only 4 of them can play in the same side, with the first and last already pencilled in.

I've already said who I like up forward, but it really comes down to three things: goals, marks and inside 50s. Sure, the midfield should be the ones to create most of the inside 50 opportunities, but in the modern games it's the forwards who range up the wing to get marks and launch it toward players within goal kicking distance. Sexton is the best goal assist provider at the Suns and has the range to bang them in from outside 50. He and Rankine will be in competition for most goals, though I think 2MP is due to break 50 and those 2 will benefit from his scraps.

I fixed your best 22 :)

B Harbrow Thompson Murdoch
HB Ballard Hombsh Hanley
C Weller Swallow Lukosius
HF Sexton Wright Martin
F Rankine Day Ainsworth

Int: Fiorini Macpherson Miller Bowes

To be honest preseason will decide a lot of spots. We certainly got some depth and mature bodies to step in if young players are not up to it or get injured. 14 new players will take time to gel. I hope 1 year under Dew already, normal schedule, new coaches and Alex Rigby will make the difference. Not having May and Lynch should help to unite the team. I could not watch their fed up faces anymore. We still have the youngest list. Less injuries please! I predict 6 wins.
I like it! This was a 4 win season, but there were 3 losses that could easily have been wins. I would say a 6 to 10 win window that it would be embarrassing or astounding if we went under or over that range, which this year wouldn't even have put us in the top 12. I predict a more even competition where 6 wins will probably mean the wooden spoon with poor percentage. The schedule is mostly friendly and the degree of difficulty is one of the easiest. Clubs come tumbling down the ladder very quickly, as St Kilda did this season, while struggling clubs all eventually make a surge up the ladder, such as the Demons over the past 2 seasons.

The side you've gone with only has 5 of the new guys and you easily replace them with Joyce, Leslie, Holman, Young and Ah Chee and they'd be just as good. Bringing in the new talent will certainly wake up the existing guys and I doubt we will see the same 22 twice all year long. If 40+ players aren't used it will be because of injury in the NEAFL and not selection policy. Guys like Wigg, Nicholls and Nutting will play for their contracts next year knowing that continued injury and inability to crack into the Senior team will end in being delisted. Through in Schoenfeld, Lemmens and Scheer, who got senior footy exposure but need to show further progress or be let go (the first pair would be re-rookied). Holman, Young and Leslie know they will have to play more senior football than NEAFL to attract new contracts, while several highly rated players are coming out of contract and could face the trade block (Nicholls and Day can walk as unrestricted free agents and I'd say they both get paid good coin, but what the AFL would rate their compo as is anyone's guess - perhaps end of first for Day and a third for Nicholls).

I like it! This was a 4 win season, but there were 3 losses that could easily have been wins. I would say a 6 to 10 win window that it would be embarrassing or astounding if we went under or over that range, which this year wouldn't even have put us in the top 12. I predict a more even competition where 6 wins will probably mean the wooden spoon with poor percentage. The schedule is mostly friendly and the degree of difficulty is one of the easiest. Clubs come tumbling down the ladder very quickly, as St Kilda did this season, while struggling clubs all eventually make a surge up the ladder, such as the Demons over the past 2 seasons.

The side you've gone with only has 5 of the new guys and you easily replace them with Joyce, Leslie, Holman, Young and Ah Chee and they'd be just as good. Bringing in the new talent will certainly wake up the existing guys and I doubt we will see the same 22 twice all year long. If 40+ players aren't used it will be because of injury in the NEAFL and not selection policy. Guys like Wigg, Nicholls and Nutting will play for their contracts next year knowing that continued injury and inability to crack into the Senior team will end in being delisted. Through in Schoenfeld, Lemmens and Scheer, who got senior footy exposure but need to show further progress or be let go (the first pair would be re-rookied). Holman, Young and Leslie know they will have to play more senior football than NEAFL to attract new contracts, while several highly rated players are coming out of contract and could face the trade block (Nicholls and Day can walk as unrestricted free agents and I'd say they both get paid good coin, but what the AFL would rate their compo as is anyone's guess - perhaps end of first for Day and a third for Nicholls).

Unless Sam day puts it all together this year I would be asking him to leave if we could get an end of round first for him.
Hoping that he stays injury free and lives up to his promise though because he has the talent to be a real point of difference to Pete in the forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope this doesn’t happen but I am concerned that Dew will play favourites ( we saw this last year) and all the work in turn over of the playing group would be for nothing.

I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt but i don’t want to see non performing players get games over players that are performing at NEAFL level.

I hope this doesn’t happen but I am concerned that Dew will play favourites ( we saw this last year) and all the work in turn over of the playing group would be for nothing.

I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt but i don’t want to see non performing players get games over players that are performing at NEAFL level.
Last season’s selection policy was predicated on taking care of the younger players and nursing the playing group through the most arduous schedule in AFL history. To compound things, besides the AFL team enjoying a winning start, NEAFL players got injured or were out of form. It was ugly and the plan fell apart.

I feel like Sam Day is a career player for the Suns and haven’t got a doubt he’ll start in round 1. A lot can change in a year and I think Sammy’s on good money that might not be so good if he has a so so year. In a way, he deserves to be able to choose his next club and just based on Lycett, a ruck forward in the best 22 is worth pick #19, so we can’t really lose.

Unless Sam day puts it all together this year I would be asking him to leave if we could get an end of round first for him.
Hoping that he stays injury free and lives up to his promise though because he has the talent to be a real point of difference to Pete in the forward line.
Cameron mentioned just after trade period that Day will likely be signed in a couple of weeks. I am a bit surprised no announcement has been made yet.

Besides Lemmens, Rischa and Day I can't think of too many other of Dew's favourites that are still at the club.

I agree that Rankine and Luko need to be walk up starts and if they want Max King to stay beyond 2 years they need to make him earn a senior spot in the NEAFL but as soon as they think he is close to ready they need to get him in over Hombsch and Collins, as to end game should be to be ready to play finals in 3 years and get games into the players that will take us there.

Besides Lemmens, Rischa and Day I can't think of too many other of Dew's favourites that are still at the club.

I agree that Rankine and Luko need to be walk up starts and if they want Max King to stay beyond 2 years they need to make him earn a senior spot in the NEAFL but as soon as they think he is close to ready they need to get him in over Hombsch and Collins, as to end game should be to be ready to play finals in 3 years and get games into the players that will take us there.

One of the trade offs with the Draft manoeuvering in 2016 was that the picks after Ainsworth went from ready to play to project players. Fortunately, Bowes was already in the system and probably would have gone earlier if he wasn’t tied to the Suns. Whiffing on pick #7 sucks, but the other 3 in their 3rd year will make it well worth the pain and the lost seasons playing them will also be worth it.

The difference with Lukosius and Rankine is that this year’s top 3 are definitely ready to play, with the main question on the top 6 being Max King’s fitness and to a lesser extent Ben King’s readiness. A positional change in his Draft year hasn’t really done Ben any favors, other than see him drop to #6 and not even be preferred to his brother at #4. Our good fortune may need to wait as the club patiently develops this outstanding raw talent. I see him playing forward in the NEAFL and getting bags of goals rather than being lobbed straight into the senior team and struggling. No matter how inferior to VFL or SANFL, the NEAFL is definitely a level up from TAC Cup and school footy, even if the talent isn’t quite as high. See how he plays against men and give give some time in the ruck.

As for Lukosius, Rankine and McLovin, bring them all on as they are ready. Probably round 1 for the first pair and when form demands it for Jez. Dew’s remaining favourites are Miller, Weller, Holman and Young, who are all good players, but they polarize fans. The first pair are rolled gold, but I hope not immune to being dropped if they aren’t performing, while the others will clearly need to continue putting in 100% every game or be at risk of being trade fodder.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Seems like Sexton is on the fringe of some of these teams.
I think he is a definite lock!

In the last 11 games of the year
- 14.5 possessions / game, 20 goals, 5.5 score involvements / game, >400 metres gained / match.

By comparison guys who play similar roles on good teams and have much higher profiles over the same time frame

- Jamie Cripps - 4th in B+F in a premiership year
- Shane Edwards - All Australian 2018
- Jake Melksham - 7th in B+F of a top 4 side
- Stephenson - Young gun who was an integral part of a grand final team

Sexton: 14.5 possessions, 20 goals, 5.5 score involvements, 410 metres gained
Cripps: 16.7 possessions, 21 goals, 5.7 score involvements, 280 metres gained
Edwards: 19.8 possessions, 8 goals, 5.5 score involvements, 340 metres gained
Melksham: 14.9 possessions, 15 goals, 7.2 score involvements, 330 metres gained
Stephenson: 11.8 possessions, 20 goals, 6 score involvements, 245 metres gained

Not saying he is as good/better than these guys but certainly his second half of 2018 was very good, especially impressive in a side where the ball was in the defensive half most of the time!. He has to be a starter. More tackles inside 50 are important - something that these guys have over him, they have greater opportunity given the ball is in the forward 50 for so much longer, but he has to be apart of that change, not just benefitting from it.

If he can carry on his form from the second half of the year across the whole year it will be pretty damn impressive.

Few big names not making the Suns predicted team.

Rischa playing NEAFL with Brodie and Day Lukosius.

Bloody hard to pick i side but surely brodie is a lock for rd1

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-12-15/r1-2019-who-plays-in-your-clubs-seasonopener
From what I’ve seen so far from Dewey, it’s going to be almost all about playing how he wants. If blokes can’t do that, names and reputations will count for very little. FWIW I think we just have to play him, Bowes and Ainsworth to get games into them and see if they’re up to it.

Seems like Sexton is on the fringe of some of these teams.
I think he is a definite lock!

In the last 11 games of the year
- 14.5 possessions / game, 20 goals, 5.5 score involvements / game, >400 metres gained / match.

By comparison guys who play similar roles on good teams and have much higher profiles over the same time frame

- Jamie Cripps - 4th in B+F in a premiership year
- Shane Edwards - All Australian 2018
- Jake Melksham - 7th in B+F of a top 4 side
- Stephenson - Young gun who was an integral part of a grand final team

Sexton: 14.5 possessions, 20 goals, 5.5 score involvements, 410 metres gained
Cripps: 16.7 possessions, 21 goals, 5.7 score involvements, 280 metres gained
Edwards: 19.8 possessions, 8 goals, 5.5 score involvements, 340 metres gained
Melksham: 14.9 possessions, 15 goals, 7.2 score involvements, 330 metres gained
Stephenson: 11.8 possessions, 20 goals, 6 score involvements, 245 metres gained

Not saying he is as good/better than these guys but certainly his second half of 2018 was very good, especially impressive in a side where the ball was in the defensive half most of the time!. He has to be a starter. More tackles inside 50 are important - something that these guys have over him, they have greater opportunity given the ball is in the forward 50 for so much longer, but he has to be apart of that change, not just benefitting from it.

If he can carry on his form from the second half of the year across the whole year it will be pretty damn impressive.
Nice analysis. I agree that Sexton is a lock, but he can sometimes be a coachkiller. In the Essendon game he had 4 behinds and 7 clangers, despite also getting a season high 20 touches and a goal. Fans critical of him will point out the bad before grudgingly acknowledge the good. In the first 11 games he averaged 12.5 possessions and kicked 8 goals, which is again what the critics saw in action. At one stage he'd kicked 17.16 for the year until his radar just clicked and he started to boot some pearlers. His workrate definitely improved, laying more tackles and pitching in to help in with clearances.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back