Opinion 5 Toughest Cats You've Seen

Remove this Banner Ad

Frappe

Premiership Player
Jul 29, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
If this has been done, then apologies and close..I may have imbibed this evening.

With the chat re GAS in the last week or so, I started viewing a bit of footage on You Tube and had me thinking..

Fighter tough (as in can handle themselves)

1. G Ablett Snr
2. A Bews (insisted in fighting in about 10 divisions above his weight)
3. C Mooney
4. S Johnson (underrated)
5. R Waddell (left field)

Hard at the ball tough

1. G Hocking
2. J Selwood
3. G Ablett Snr
4. D Drum
5. R Card...apologies G Williams, J Corey, J Kelly, R Bogunovich etc

Last edited:
If this has been done, then apologies and close..I may have imbibed this evening.

With the chat re GAS in the last week or so, I started viewing a bit of footage on You Tube and had me thinking..

Fighter tough (as in can handle themselves)

1. G Ablett Snr
2. A Bews (insisted in fighting in about 10 divisions above his weight)
3. C Mooney
4. S Johnson (underrated)
5. R Waddell (left field)

Hard at the ball tough

1. G Hocking
2. J Selwood
3. G Ablett
4. D Drum
5. R Card...apologies G Williams, J Corey, J Kelly, R Bogunovich etc

Mark Jackson ( im not rating him as one of the toughest ) but i will quote him

Jacko consistently said when at the Cats - that pound for pound - Andrew Bews was the strongest and toughest Geel player - one of the strongest in the whole VFL Competition

There were 2 parts to Bews career - before he did his knee - he was a genuine bona fide superstar - unfortunately after he did his knee - he was a hack - a battler

Surely Paul Chapman deserves a mention. Loved watching him play. He was a gun and incredibly hard at the ball!

I presume by tough you mean someone who made you nervous as an opponent not Durability.
Recently:
Rooke,Chapman,Mooney
past:
Yeates
Toohey
Card
Both Hockings
Ablett senior

Note the absence of any current players

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Danger? I’ve seen him dive on some loose balls headfirst that made me shake my head about his disregard for his own safety. And he usually gets the ball out of those situations too.

GAS was one of the toughest guys i’ve seen. Wasn’t afraid to smash an opponent. Had the perfect build for it to. Could throw hands like a pro from all accounts aswell. No one wanted to get in the clubs boxing ring with him.

Chappy, rooke, mooney were pretty tough too.

Selwood
Rooke
GAS
Budda Hocking

This 4 is a lock for mine.
The 5th... Andy Bews, Neville Bruns, Domsy, Chappy, Lingy, Scarlo, Darren flannigan to name a few

Go Catters

It really depends on how you define tough.

A few key traits for mine, consistently putting yourself in harms way to benefit the team, Single minded focus on the job at hand, holding yourself and your teammates to a high standard, taking a hit and coming back, causing fear/intimidation in your opponents, getting the best out of yourself when absolutely stuffed.

1. Joel Selwood
2. Gary Hocking
3. Max Rooke
4. Matthew Scarlett
5. Brad Sholl
6. Paul Chapman
7. Cameron Ling
8. Tom Lonergan
9. Tom Harley
10. Cameron Mooney

There's no real order here and they certainly aren't the only blokes I can think of.
Leigh Colbert stiff to miss. I'd love to know the real story behind that situation.

Last edited:
It really depends on how you define tough.

A few key traits for mine, consistently putting yourself in harms way to benefit the team, Single minded focus on the job at hand, holding yourself and your teammates to a high standard, taking a hit and coming back, causing fear/intimidation in your opponents, getting the best out of yourself when absolutely stuffed.

1. Joel Selwood
2. Gary Hocking
3. Max Rooke
4. Matthew Scarlett
5. Brad Scholl
6. Paul Chapman
7. Cameron Ling
8. Tom Lonergan
9. Tom Harley
10. Cameron Mooney

There's no real order here and hat certainly isn't the only blokes I can think of.
Leigh Colbert stiff to miss. I'd love to know the real story behind that situation.
Tottally forgot about Colbert. He was a tough player.
Also forgot about Lingy. Quite a few broken noses. Never seemed to bother him.

Plenty to pick from,but off the top of the head.
Ablett Snr
G Hocking
J Devine
R Card
M Scarlett
Apologies to heaps of others.

These whippersnappers obviously hadn't seen this bloke play.....he was hard!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back