Training 2019 Preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

This picture is so great to see.

47316548_10156396478603183_2172832282987986944_n.jpg

Keeping in mind it was 34 degrees today.

Wishing Robbo all the best :thumbsu:

This picture is so great to see.

47316548_10156396478603183_2172832282987986944_n.jpg

Keeping in mind it was 34 degrees today.

Wishing Robbo all the best :thumbsu:
Nice to see Koby down there and that we are obviously supporting him. Is going to be doing anything at the club?

A rapid improvement in Billings, Steele, Acres, Sinclair gets us few A Grades I would think so
Billings is the one this year imo. Something has changed within himself.. Something has clicked.. His attitude and pre season have gone to another level so far. Changes of coaching department maybe.. Midfield training.. Whatever it is, think we'll see the elite Billings we know.

Billings is the one this year imo. Something has changed within himself.. Something has clicked.. His attitude and pre season have gone to another level so far. Changes of coaching department maybe.. Midfield training.. Whatever it is, think we'll see the elite Billings we know.

out of contract and looking for a pay rise

Nice to see Koby down there and that we are obviously supporting him. Is going to be doing anything at the club?
I believe in a very small capacity. He is definitely looking a lot healthier, and he still has his uni degree to get back into & complete.

I sure hope you're right mate. I love the kid but let's be honest, he's been around long enough now that he needs to step up

I sure hope you're right mate. I love the kid but let's be honest, he's been around long enough now that he needs to step up
Yep, agree. Personally i think its the change in coaches.. I'll ask the question when I'm back in, but it looks like it. Whether its Rats, Lade.. even Letho giving him a talking to post season. He's a different guy from last year.

We haven't had a mid field leader since Lenny Stuv bless him is not that and Arno has been injured. Maybe Hanners has come at the right time and JB now sees the elite traits that lead to success and puts two and two together.

Sometimes APS schoolboys take a bit longer to get their s**t squared away as they have not come from the school of hard knocks like say Parker has.

Why do I know this maybe speaking from personal experience

Go Saints

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

We haven't had a mid field leader since Lenny Stuv bless him is not that and Arno has been injured. Maybe Hanners has come at the right time and JB now sees the elite traits that lead to success and puts two and two together.

Sometimes APS schoolboys take a bit longer to get their s**t squared away as they have not come from the school of hard knocks like say Parker has.

Why do I know this maybe speaking from personal experience

Go Saints

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Nothing wrong with a good APS upbringing. Unless you're from Scotch.

I'm liking the look of the facial hair lads! Very 70's
We will look like the unsociable bastards we need to be!

Especially Savage!
Suddenly got the Macho Man's about him
Ohhhh Yeaahh
We went wrong when we wanted to make the boys look like Demons supporters. Richo jokingly admitted that Eli's form dropped off when he chopped off the dreads

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love the preseason talk & I also hate it.

In preseason, the vibe always appears to be very good & morale is high - it’s this way for every club. Just hope it actually carries into & turns into positive results in the season proper for 2019

Last edited:
I would have thought Clark plays whenever fit, but I suppose he's got to earn that first.

I think first year you get gifted games, second year you earn them. He seems the first picked of the kids though.

I think first year you get gifted games, second year you earn them. He seems the first picked of the kids though.

I think the last nooby to get as much of the ball as Clark was Dunstan back in 2014. I remember waiting to see what he'd do in his second year, and it turned out to be pretty much the same as his first....and his third.

So Clarke could easily have second year blues , or he could lift to the next level and cement himself a spot in the side ( he's not that far off ).
We'll have to wait and see.

Clavarino ticking every box
Christopher Nice
Dec 6, 2018 11:05AM

640888-tlslargelandscape.jpg

Oscar Clavarino (middle right) has his eyes set on an AFL debut in 2019.

Young defender Oscar Clavarino is ticking every box as he hunts an AFL debut.

It can take some players years to understand the attention to detail required at AFL level.

But not so Oscar Clavarino.

The second-year defender - likened to Richmond’s Dylan Grimes for his size and speed - is making sure every minute counts as St Kilda continues its arduous pre-season.

“So far it’s been really good, it was good to get back early in that stage where it was just the first to fourth-year players,” Clavarino said.

“Having a bit of time where it was limited numbers, it sort of felt like there was a little bit of attention on you, so I felt I got heaps out of that.”

WATCH: Oscar's draft dream is realised

With the senior players back and pre-season training well and truly underway at RSEA Park, everyone is doing their own part in building a successful 2019.

For the driven defender, it’s about fine-tuning his craft by doing the little things right.

Whether it be spending a bit more time on the park or being more meticulous in recovery sessions, Clavarino is determined to improve his game by incrementally building upon his sturdy foundations.

And learning from some of the most seasoned Saints is just one way he’s taking his game to new levels.

In developing his defensive nous, Clavarino has had no shortage of educators, with former Saint, Sam Gilbert, one of several players integral in transforming the Vic Country co-captain into a future champion.

Cut from the same cloth regarding their rebounding skills and surprising agility given their height, the two formed a solid partnership last season as the reins were passed on.

“I tried to take as much out of [Sam] as I could and he gave me heaps back,” Clavarino said.

“He was a great mentor for me last year along with playing alongside him.”

Gilbert’s recent signing with Sandringham will likely see the duo pair up again throughout the 2019 Peter Jackson VFL Season as Clavarino continues to vie for his AFL debut.

In more familiar colours has been stalwart defender Nathan Brown, whose knowledge and experience have been vital in elevating Clavarino’s output both in the gym and on the field.

“I sort of try and buddy up with him a little bit now in learning the defensive craft and that kind of thing,” Clavarino said.

“He’s got a lot going on in his head and it’s good to pick little things out each session and hopefully put them into my game.”

The results have been evident, with Clavarino’s weight gain from his dedicated gym work putting him one step closer to making his debut.

181206-Clavarino.JPG

Oscar Clavarino has left nothing on the track this pre-season

While that first game in the red, white and black is still elusive for the 19-year-old, Clavarino is content that his hard work in the pre-season will amount to rewards in 2019.

“Certainly getting that first game will be the top,” Clavarino said.

“But it’s the little extra session that you might do in the gym or another little bit of extra recovery that just keeps you going.”

“For me, it’s just about having that consistency.”

I love the preseason talk & I also hate it.

In preseason, the vibe always appears to be very good & morale is high - it’s this way for every club. Just hope it actually carries into & turns into positive results in the season proper for 2019
Live in the moment.

The past is gone and the future hasn't arrived.

Is Biggy training with us?
This is from AFL website on the 5th...it was an article about the 2019 potential recruits training with various clubs...

St Kilda: Bigoa Nyuon, Hayden Young, Sam Flanders

There were some very positive articles about Biggy on the Saints website (in September I think...mentioned the Academy) but I don’t know anything about the other two lads...any one know anything about them?

Paddy did an interview with an organization called "Beyond Type 1" dated 26/11/2018. An interesting excerpt below.

Have you ever had any close calls or scary moments during a game or practice?

Similar to in the NFL, or the NBA, we have a preseason. In that preseason, for us, it contains a lot of really tough running sessions where we might sort of do 10 to 14 kilometers in one session and then do weights and stuff afterwards. It’s quite physically taxing. In my second year, I collapsed on a run due to hypoglycemia.

So that was probably one of the worst episodes I’ve had while I’ve been playing professionally and that was really scary for me. I think probably a bit of a wake-up call as well to everyone at the club. We probably weren’t as on top of it as a group as we could have been. That was somewhat due to me not being probably transparent enough and sort of being worried what people might think of my diabetes or think of me. That was a really bad moment in one sense but in another it was good — it sort of opened our eyes up a little bit as well and made us a bit more transparent with one another about what was happening.

Since then, I’ve generally been...

There is more tasty bits in the full interview posted on Paddy's player page (link below).

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...e-cursingfijian.1082713/page-19#post-59040785

Remove this Banner Ad

Back