2019 Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

You were the one who told us to google definitions.

So you're trying to tell me our players are born with the genetic knowledge of how play football then? Clearly not, this 'instinct' you speak of is developed through hundreds of hours of being exposed to situations on the field until your response becomes intrinsically ingrained, Which is exactly what drilling a gameplan into a team in any sport is all about.

Something I understand we do in training fairly often is simulate a match situation to deal with the last few minutes of really close games, so that when the times comes, which it often does, then everyone knows how to respond instinctively. That training is to prepare for the live moment. All athletes do this (and anyone who has to make split second decisions in the moment, like emergency services). To my mind that’s what Ballas was talking about.

I reckon that’s bullshit. You train a thousand times to catch that ball so that in the moment your muscle memory is hardwired to know exactly how to respond.

It wasn’t meant to suggest catching a ball is trivial compared to solving maths equations it’s supposed to illustrate that some folk are able to instinctively solve those same equations in their heads in real time so they actually catch a ball. Agreed there’s muscle memory and such involved that needs to be coordinated too so as to get your hands and body in the right place to do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So SHilly's out for 8 weeks after surgery on his quad...

generally when our players have heavily or even somewhat limited preseasons they play well, well below their best come H&A. It's something that really makes or breaks a year

Kind of a big blow, fearing we may have seen the best of him. Might be a little hysterical but it's just setback after setback for him, it's Markelle Fultz-like.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

D Pearce's instinct was to get ball, run fast, then throw it on the boot and kick it high, and as far as he could. That instinct needed to be modified and developed to become a useful component of a game plan. That never quite came off for us, but I think a similar process happens to a differing degree with every single player in the AFL. Some need less of it (say Eddie Betts), some need more (say Griffin Logue).

generally when our players have heavily or even somewhat limited preseasons they play well, well below their best come H&A. It's something that really makes or breaks a year

Kind of a big blow, fearing we may have seen the best of him. Might be a little hysterical but it's just setback after setback for him, it's Markelle Fultz-like.

Smart move is to assume he’s not going to be up for round 1, and give him his own mini preseason so he’s good to go, like he’s had a full pre season from round 3... no NAB cup for him!

Don’t they soon have 3 weeks off.

Smart move is to assume he’s not going to be up for round 1, and give him his own mini preseason so he’s good to go, like he’s had a full pre season from round 3... no NAB cup for him!

Don’t they soon have 3 weeks off.
Would love to have him and every player available, but it is never going to happen. Brewley will have an extra spring in his step at the next training session for sure.

It's a good time for Brett Bewley to fill in, and a tough time for his contract

Massive shame. I remember when I first saw his gazelle like run through the middle. Reminded me of Peter Matera - my favourite player in the early 90's (shame me, go on). Real shame he never really exploded past that. Always seems to be hampered. Highlight was that running goal off the bench in the final down in geelongistan. Prove me wrong Hilly.

If the scar removal surgery Stephen Hill has had is what I'm thinking it is then it's a very graphic scraping of the tissue back. Super violent but really effective

First time I saw a hip replacement I realised that not all surgeons are delicate.

It was about the time that they pulled out the chisel.

Kim Hagdorn just said that in one week we have gone from having 8 players in the rehab group to 12 and that the club is now going to launch an investigation into the amount of soft-tissue injuries that we currently have.

Hmmmm....Didn't he just say the same thing last week?

By instinct ballas meant play in a way where everybody has an awareness of one another and they don't need to 'think' - hence instinct

A better descriptor would be that they are aiming to get the whole team in a state of flow

Either way - get too caught up on arguing over semantics and you've missed the whole point of what they are saying

Remove this Banner Ad

Back