Mitch McGovern

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a shot at you, Kristof, but anyone else feel these 'you try telling...' posts are somewhat passé after all these years?
Lol, that was kind of my point. We still sling a lot of s**t at the club for playing an important player when under an injury cloud, but here's us celebrating when someone did it.
You try telling Kristof these posts are somewhat passé
Thumbs up.

What did the Three Amigos have in common?

Lever was offered a boat load of cash to go to Melbourne but IMHO the problem started in his first year when he was dropped for the finals. He mentioned this on a number of occasions in interviews over the next two years. Lever could hardly complain that he lacked opportunities at the Crows and we were very patient with some of his third man up brain fades (which really pissed off Daniel Talia).

Charlie had absolutely nothing to complain about. We played him based on zero SANFL form and continued to back him in (despite the ire of many Bigfooty posters) through several flat patches of form.

Mitch turned up at the Crows in less than pristine condition. It took the entire first year to get him AFL ready. To the surprise of many, he was selected in round one of his second year and we continued to back him in throughout the rest of his time at the Crows. We brought him back as soon as he had recovered from ankle injury but he was clearly underdone. After the briefest of stays in the Twos he was brought back into the Ones to showcase his talents to Carlton supporters.

Only the greatest critic of the Crows would say that these three guys had been mishandled. You could put the theory that we could have handled Mitch’s injuries in a more professional manner but he had a poor history of soft tissue injuries before joining the Crows and he never looked super lean and super fit. Yes, I know his chubby brother is an All Australian but I do not accept that the McGoverns are unlike other professional sportsmen and need to carry a few extra pounds (the Greg Ritchie Theory).

I hope for Mitch’s sake that he has an injury free run with Carlton, I guess time will tell.

The Three Amigos were all offered way above the odds by other teams and have subsequently attempted to justify their moves were not motivated by money. Yeah.....Nah.
Lever was no real loss. Very poor character and best out of the club. True * wit. CC''s loss has hurt tbh, was a strange one why he left imo. Obviously wanted more coin which he got at the lions. I feel he likely fell out with some players and or coaches if I had to guess. Mcgovern's marking will be missed but it remains to be seen if his body will stand up for more than 10 to 15 games a season. From an outsiders view gov never looked like he fit in with the group. Came off as s bit of an introvert with a fairly high opinion of himself. Total opposite to his brother who is a good guy imo. It was a mistake not playing him in the grand final of 2017 but I still feel he would most likely have left anyway. In time gov leaving will be a blessing in disguise, especially if luko comes home in a couple of years.

Last edited:
Lever was no real loss. Very poor character and best out of the club. True **** wit. CC''s loss has hurt tbh, was a strange one why he left imo. Obviously wanted more coin which he got at the lions. I feel he likely fell out with some players and or coaches if I had to guess. Mcgovern's marking will be missed but it remains to be seen if his body will stand up for more than 10 to 15 games a season. From an outsiders view gov never looked like he fit in with the group. Came off as s bit of an introvert with a fairly high opinion of himself. Total opposite to his brother who is a good guy imo. It was a mistake not playing him in the grand final of 2017 but I still feel he would most likely have left anyway. In time gov leaving will be a blessing in disguise, especially if luko comes home in a couple of years.

He had a dodgy hamstring which he had only done 1-2 weeks earlier. Would have been utter stupidity to try and play him.

Clearly he was best 22 so why would the Crows not play him?

McGovern will be wearing number 11, a number made famous by Bruce Doull aka the flying doormat. Don't expect him to play many more games in Adelaide vs us as Carlton don't often play here, only twice this decade in 2010 and 2018.

Would rather play Carlton in Melb. They are garbage.

Yup. Having Carlton as one of our home games is just a waste at this point of time.

Lever was no real loss. Very poor character and best out of the club. True **** wit. CC''s loss has hurt tbh, was a strange one why he left imo. Obviously wanted more coin which he got at the lions. I feel he likely fell out with some players and or coaches if I had to guess. Mcgovern's marking will be missed but it remains to be seen if his body will stand up for more than 10 to 15 games a season. From an outsiders view gov never looked like he fit in with the group. Came off as s bit of an introvert with a fairly high opinion of himself. Total opposite to his brother who is a good guy imo. It was a mistake not playing him in the grand final of 2017 but I still feel he would most likely have left anyway. In time gov leaving will be a blessing in disguise, especially if luko comes home in a couple of years.
He had a 4 wks hammy injury

Pretty sure he had to nurse it 6 wks later at pre season training

He’s completely delusional that bloke

Can Fog take the roll of McGovern? He has a beautiful kick but I can’t recall his contested marking ability.

For all talk of McGovern character....I still remember that grab on the siren against the Wobbles last year where we ended up drawing after being so far down. He nearly did it again in the first showdown this year. No doubt he can play and under pressure....so will that be expected of Fog or do we have another player in mind?

Can Fog take the roll of McGovern? He has a beautiful kick but I can’t recall his contested marking ability.

For all talk of McGovern character....I still remember that grab on the siren against the Wobbles last year where we ended up drawing after being so far down. He nearly did it again in the first showdown this year. No doubt he can play and under pressure....so will that be expected of Fog or do we have another player in mind?
The Fog looks a strong contested mark also - have seen him take some nice intercept marks in defense. Don’t think he’s as good as MCGov in pack marks though, but he likely will dish out more bruises to his opponents. Also Fog has the better leg to kick longer goals.

Replaced by Mcadam as much as Fog

McAdam has ability to take pack marks with his vertical leap and pressure worth his pace ( will be better at pressuring than Gov )

Fog is prob a bit more like Tex to be fair although he will likely be a better mark one on one . He has got a fair bit of work to do to get his endurance to anywhere Tex at his best . Both great kicks

McGovern will be wearing number 11, a number made famous by Bruce Doull aka the flying doormat. Don't expect him to play many more games in Adelaide vs us as Carlton don't often play here, only twice this decade in 2010 and 2018.
Bwoocey Doull will pull out what's left of that "doormat" watching McGovern play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting article that one.

The guy has to stop comparing himself to his brother and play consistently good footy for a sustained period of time before he starts lamenting all the Premierships he has missed out on.

The irony of going to a s**t Club like Carlton now that will not see a flag for at least 5+ years too.

hehe good luck with that blues, transfer request in 1 or 2 years?

the absolute beauty of this is that when the Blues push for a flag in 4-5 years time, he will be back in WA.

Gov - the gift that keeps giving.

the absolute beauty of this is that when the Blues push for a flag in 4-5 years time, he will be back in WA.

Gov - the gift that keeps giving.
Gov will be long retired by the time the Blues are pushing for a flag, in 40-50 years. You're right about him being back in WA by then though.

hehe good luck with that blues, transfer request in 1 or 2 years?

Especially now that the rules are going to change that the free agency clock doesn't reset when you switch clubs.

If that change happens he could be eligible to join WCE as a free agent at the end of 2021.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back