Who would you rate as the strongest premiership side in the AFL era?

Which premiership team would you rate as the strongest of the AFL era?

• Collingwood 1990

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Hawthorn 1991

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • West Coast 92-94

Votes: 15 2.4%
  • Essendon 1993

• Carlton 1995

Votes: 26 4.1%
  • North 96-99

Votes: 17 2.7%
  • Adelaide 97-98

• Essendon 2000

Votes: 83 13.1%
  • Brisbane 2001-2003

Votes: 206 32.4%
  • Port 2004

• Sydney 2005

• West Coast 2006

• Geelong 2007-2011

Votes: 101 15.9%
  • Hawthorn 2008

• Collingwood 2010

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Sydney 2012

• Hawthorn 2013-2015

Votes: 103 16.2%
  • Bulldogs 2016

Votes: 14 2.2%
  • Richmond 2017

Votes: 33 5.2%
  • West Coast 2018

Votes: 11 1.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Voted for Essendon 2000. An Essendon premiership in 2000 felt inevitable from early on in the year and I can't really recall another season like it (maybe Geelong 2008 comes closest but they obviously got done in the GF). Brisbane probably had the strongest team on paper closely followed by Geelong. I feel like Brisbane weren't as dominant throughout H&A seasons but certainly knew how to get the job done in finals. Hawthorn had that same aura, they certainly knew how to win finals from whatever position they found themselves in. Geelong a bit better in H&A from memory.

I feel like Collingwood's 2010 season gets underrated a bit, I think it gets overshadowed by the 2011 season and not winning the GF. I'm going to try make an argument for Collingwood 2010. Point one would be that this team won a premiership in the middle of Geelong's dominant 2007 - 2011 period. That in itself be evidence enough that Collingwood 2010 should be in the conversation. The peak wasn't as long, but it was arguably just as high. Hawthorn got the flag in 2008 but I'd argue they were simply the better team on one day of the year rather than over the season. St.Kilda across 2009 and 2010 were also extremely good.

Collingwood's overall 2010 season might not be as good as others but I'd argue that by the end of the season Collingwood were the best team in the competition by a fair margin. St.Kilda and Geelong both beat Collingwood early in the season but Collingwood reversed the results in the back half of the season. Collingwood belted St.Kilda by 48 points in Round 16 and had a comfortable 22 point win (with 12 extra scoring shots) against Geelong in Round 19. Since Round 12, Collingwood amassed a 12-1-1 record. The only loss came by 3 points in the final round against a Hawthorn side that needed to win to make finals while Collingwood already had top spot sewn up (i.e. dead rubber for Collingwood). Collingwood had three dominant wins in finals. They beat the Bulldogs by 62 points in the QF, Geelong by 41 points in PF and St.Kilda by 56 points in the GF replay. The PF result was the most impressive against Geelong who had played in the last 3 GFs for 2 premierships. Geelong had also knocked Collingwood out in the PF in 2007 and 2009. Collingwood's 7 goal to 1 first quarter would have to go down as one of the most dominant finals quarters in AFL history, game was well and truly over at quarter time and the lead was 10 goals+ at half time.

Of course, the big strike against this Collingwood team was the GF draw. People (wrongly) argue that Collingwood 2018 was a "choke" but it's got nothing on 2010, Collingwood almost kicked themselves out of a premiership. Collingwood well and truly took control of the match in the second quarter but kicked a paltry 3.11 over the second and third quarters to St.Kilda's 4.3. Got to give St.Kilda credit for fighting their way back into the match but they really should never have got the opportunity to do so, Collingwood left the door ajar. If Collingwood kick straight (particularly in the second quarter) then I'm pretty confident the game ends up similar to the GF replay the following week.

So there you go. In the midst of Geelong's dominant period, for one year, Collingwood were at least comparable. I'd still vote for Geelong over Collingwood but they certainly deserve more votes than some other teams that have got votes in the poll.

Chris Johnson
Jonathan Brown
Brown was a father son....ummmm Nick Davis, Cloke, Shaw......freebies hey. Let alone this era Moore, Daicos, Brown and probably more. You had more 'freebies' play in those finals than Brisbane did.

Talk about flawed argument. Are you Leon Davis? There has to be more to the hatred than just a supporter. Always slagging off lions every opportunity, really bitter aren't you. Unusually so.

Chris Johnson
Jonathan Brown

Jon Brown recruited well after the demise of Fitzroy. It was a merger anyway so Brisbane took on Fitzroy's history / legacy, which included f/s entitlements.

The f/s qualifying was changed after Brown's recruitment.

Collingwood's 7 goal to 1 first quarter would have to go down as one of the most dominant finals quarters in AFL history, game was well and truly over at quarter time

I'd have to agree with your assessment there. Putting a 6 goal break on a team in a quarter is dominating them & finishes games.

Win/loss, Minor Premierships, Premierships, for/against, quarters won vs loss, % time in lead.
A random goal stat would be lucky to make my top 15
Seems it's not so random after all Brett. I made an astute observation 20 years ago which has relevance. Case closed.

Did you even get to watch Buckley as a player?

I'm guessing half the Tigers supporters who have bobbed up in this thread weren't even interested in the AFL prior to September 2017.

Voted for Essendon 2000. An Essendon premiership in 2000 felt inevitable from early on in the year and I can't really recall another season like it (maybe Geelong 2008 comes closest but they obviously got done in the GF). Brisbane probably had the strongest team on paper closely followed by Geelong. I feel like Brisbane weren't as dominant throughout H&A seasons but certainly knew how to get the job done in finals. Hawthorn had that same aura, they certainly knew how to win finals from whatever position they found themselves in. Geelong a bit better in H&A from memory.

I feel like Collingwood's 2010 season gets underrated a bit, I think it gets overshadowed by the 2011 season and not winning the GF. I'm going to try make an argument for Collingwood 2010. Point one would be that this team won a premiership in the middle of Geelong's dominant 2007 - 2011 period. That in itself be evidence enough that Collingwood 2010 should be in the conversation. The peak wasn't as long, but it was arguably just as high. Hawthorn got the flag in 2008 but I'd argue they were simply the better team on one day of the year rather than over the season. St.Kilda across 2009 and 2010 were also extremely good.

Collingwood's overall 2010 season might not be as good as others but I'd argue that by the end of the season Collingwood were the best team in the competition by a fair margin. St.Kilda and Geelong both beat Collingwood early in the season but Collingwood reversed the results in the back half of the season. Collingwood belted St.Kilda by 48 points in Round 16 and had a comfortable 22 point win (with 12 extra scoring shots) against Geelong in Round 19. Since Round 12, Collingwood amassed a 12-1-1 record. The only loss came by 3 points in the final round against a Hawthorn side that needed to win to make finals while Collingwood already had top spot sewn up (i.e. dead rubber for Collingwood). Collingwood had three dominant wins in finals. They beat the Bulldogs by 62 points in the QF, Geelong by 41 points in PF and St.Kilda by 56 points in the GF replay. The PF result was the most impressive against Geelong who had played in the last 3 GFs for 2 premierships. Geelong had also knocked Collingwood out in the PF in 2007 and 2009. Collingwood's 7 goal to 1 first quarter would have to go down as one of the most dominant finals quarters in AFL history, game was well and truly over at quarter time and the lead was 10 goals+ at half time.

Of course, the big strike against this Collingwood team was the GF draw. People (wrongly) argue that Collingwood 2018 was a "choke" but it's got nothing on 2010, Collingwood almost kicked themselves out of a premiership. Collingwood well and truly took control of the match in the second quarter but kicked a paltry 3.11 over the second and third quarters to St.Kilda's 4.3. Got to give St.Kilda credit for fighting their way back into the match but they really should never have got the opportunity to do so, Collingwood left the door ajar. If Collingwood kick straight (particularly in the second quarter) then I'm pretty confident the game ends up similar to the GF replay the following week.

So there you go. In the midst of Geelong's dominant period, for one year, Collingwood were at least comparable. I'd still vote for Geelong over Collingwood but they certainly deserve more votes than some other teams that have got votes in the poll.
You've put a good case forward .

In regards to the bolded, I've often wondered what would have happened in that game if this was adjudicated correctly?

To put it into context, Collingwood had jumped Geelong and were 28 points up early in the 2nd quarter. Geelong then kicked 6 of the next 7 goals in the term to go in at halftime a point up. If that goal had been paid, Geelong would've been 2 goals up halfway through the 3rd term with all the momentum. Instead Collingwood regrouped and kicked 6 goals to 2 after that. Talk about a crucial decision.

Take nothing away from the Pies though. 2nd half of the first grand final aside, they were totally dominant that finals series - 62 point win over the Dogs, 41 points over the Cats after putting the cue in the rack midway through the 3rd quarter when leading by 81, and 56 points in the GF replay.

I'd have to agree with your assessment there. Putting a 6 goal break on a team in a quarter is dominating them & finishes games.

Seems it's not so random after all Brett. I made an astute observation 20 years ago which has relevance. Case closed.
Okay thanks for that well thought argument. Funny that your “measure” isn’t used by commentators, players, coaches & supporters across the AFL and most other sports as evidence of dominance. But you said case closed so you win

Not even comparable yet but it’s still the best individual finals series of all times
based on what ? you beat an under done Geelong with Selwood well down due to coming back from injury and Geelong losing Guthrie during the game .. you then came up against a limping GWS who lost Shiel in the first qtr in the most onesided fan ratio in the history of footy then in the G/F the took on a Crows side that played like a bottom 8 side ...
credit to the tigers the opportunity showed itself and they took it but they didnt have that much up against them to win the flag ... the Dogs the year earlier doing it from 7th playing 4 games and having to win on the road twice were more impressive in the finals series ...
you got your flag be happy at that dont try and make it anything more than that by thinking that team was the greatest

Okay thanks for that well thought argument. Funny that your “measure” isn’t used by commentators, players, coaches & supporters across the AFL and most other sports as evidence of dominance. But you said case closed so you win
I'm not talking about other sports Brett. I made an original observation 20 years ago & as it turns out, it's a reasonably good indicator. Ever had an original idea in your life Brett? Ever ventured outside the norm Brett? I doubt it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

based on what ? you beat an under done Geelong with Selwood well down due to coming back from injury and Geelong losing Guthrie during the game .. you then came up against a limping GWS who lost Shiel in the first qtr in the most onesided fan ratio in the history of footy then in the G/F the took on a Crows side that played like a bottom 8 side ...
credit to the tigers the opportunity showed itself and they took it but they didnt have that much up against them to win the flag ... the Dogs the year earlier doing it from 7th playing 4 games and having to win on the road twice were more impressive in the finals series ...
you got your flag be happy at that dont try and make it anything more than that by thinking that team was the greatest

We were that good those excuses are that, excuses! There was no scraping through some finals games like most premiers, we dominated like America going to war against New Zealand. Absolute dominance the whole way through!

If you exclude the drugged up teams then Richmond 2017, probably by default.

In regards to the bolded, I've often wondered what would have happened in that game if this was adjudicated correctly?

To put it into context, Collingwood had jumped Geelong and were 28 points up early in the 2nd quarter. Geelong then kicked 6 of the next 7 goals in the term to go in at halftime a point up. If that goal had been paid, Geelong would've been 2 goals up halfway through the 3rd term with all the momentum. Instead Collingwood regrouped and kicked 6 goals to 2 after that. Talk about a crucial decision.

Take nothing away from the Pies though. 2nd half of the first grand final aside, they were totally dominant that finals series - 62 point win over the Dogs, 41 points over the Cats after putting the cue in the rack midway through the 3rd quarter when leading by 81, and 56 points in the GF replay.

Interesting, what a blunder. I have to admit I didnt remember that decision. I just remembered it being comfortable in the end. Momentum’s everything in football though so every chance the game plays out completely differently if that decision’s paid correctly.

You stated the Brisbane and Hawthorn 3 peats where due to draft concessions from bottoming out, but Geelong drafted their way too their premierships. You were suggesting that makes those premierships better.

Drafting Ablett, Scarlett and Hawkins with very late picks as they were in those days not exactly brilliant work by the club is it. More a no brainr,, there was also N Ablett and Blake but we won't bother with them.

You got these players on a silver platter and still could not manage 3 in a row so don't downplay lions and hawks 3 peats as being due to concessions.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
So you're saying that the past players of the club you support are as sterile as the minds of those who recruited them?

Well you see have the inside word, how's the Hawthorne coterie group gone with property deals for your club? If you think Brisbane has been looked after then you've got rocks in your head

Best paid AFL runner in history is my understanding and signed off by the AFL too ... and word is he wasn’t the only one to get these very, very generous concessions

Rentention Allowance + Salary Cap funny buggers ... not sure what you deem being looked after, but that’s a hell of any advantage over what Geelong & Hawthorn got.

Like I said previously, the rentention allowance on its own equates to two elite level players - Can I add Nat Fyfe and Corey Enright to our 2012-15 side and then compare them to the 2001-04 Lions?

You just did compare & Pigs ar$3.
I'll see Richmond's 2 Brownlow medallists in the middle and raise you another Brownlow Medalist, a "stopper" & Clarke Keating. Cotchin would poo his nappy, Dusty would lack supply & get 20 touches mainly under huge pressure & Reiwoldt would spit the dummy with Leppa/Michael/White or even Bradshaw on him. Rance & who could stop Lynch/Bradshaw/Brown/McCrae/Power/Lappin/McGrath/Notting? The Lions would beat them up easily.
Good on Richmond for winning a Flag again but get real, they beat a rabble. The Crows were definitely hotter & colder than the Tigers could ever get in 2017. You got lucky & have had you day in the sun. Teams have worked you out now. You'll be out first week in 2019 & back to the mediocrity we're all used to. $1.50 for Richmond to make the Top 4 in 2019? Massive unders. The Swans of 2003 would be about level with Richmond 2017 imo.

Richmond have 4 stars.

Lions had 18

Back