Channel 7 commentary whinge thread 2018-19

Remove this Banner Ad

Slater just shits up the box whenever he is on air, but aside from that I’ve quite enjoyed he coverage on both channels. Refreshing after what we’ve put up with from Nine for the last decade.

Slats starting to sound Healyesque by the end of the day had to do a double take a couple of times

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Damien Fleming REALLY irritates me with his 'avenue of apprehension' and other associated phrases using aliteration.
He seems to think it's creative and funny.
I remember someone on here calling him 'the ars**ole of alliteration' which is certainly accurate.
That stuff is great. Quit your whining.

Been a long time since I raked for blue swimmers.

But I had these clowns covered.

Lower Light was our possie. Hit the bag limit then hit the pub

Damien Fleming REALLY irritates me with his 'avenue of apprehension' and other associated phrases using aliteration.
He seems to think it's creative and funny.
I remember someone on here calling him 'the ars**ole of alliteration' which is certainly accurate.

Yes, couldn't agree more with this.

He would be close to the worst sports broadcaster in Australia, which is really saying something.

Someone has needed to tell him for a long time that he is just simply not funny nor interesting. At all. Because he clearly remains under the illusion that he is a wonderful entertainer. In reality, he is tedious and cringeworthy. Especially when he repeats the same biased crap about Melbourne/Victoria ad nauseum, and the same one-liners over and over and over again that weren't even remotely funny (to most people with a semblance of a decent IQ, anyway) when he first used them many moons ago.

Painful beyond belief.

Yes, couldn't agree more with this.

He would be close to the worst sports broadcaster in Australia, which is really saying something.

Someone has needed to tell him for a long time that he is just simply not funny nor interesting. At all. Because he clearly remains under the illusion that he is a wonderful entertainer. In reality, he is tedious and cringeworthy. Especially when he repeats the same biased crap about Melbourne/Victoria ad nauseum, and the same one-liners over and over and over again that weren't even remotely funny (to most people with a semblance of a decent IQ, anyway) when he first used them many moons ago.

Painful beyond belief.
Basil Zempilas beats him hands-down as the worst , never shuts up and never gets the call right ( esp swimming )

Basil Zempilas beats him hands-down as the worst , never shuts up and never gets the call right ( esp swimming )

I said he was "close to the worst".

I think we can all agree that Zempilas is through to the final of that competition, without dropping a set. ;)

But that doesn't detract from Fleming being abysmal.

Not sure about McGrath, looks and sounds too awkward.

Was the same when he had guest stints for Ch9 too, not a natural commentator, if it wasn't for his involvement with the Pink test he wouldn't get a look in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if I'm on my own here, but I love what channel seven have done this summer by bringing a few fast bowlers into the commentary box.

I really enjoyed the perspective that Brett Lee brought to the box a few years ago when he talked about setting a batsman up and actually analysed a bowler's entire spell rather than just talking about how tall a bowler is, which niece of a commentator a fast bowler is married to, or how fast they bowled, which was the most that channel nine's brigade was capable of. Unfortunately Lee was drowned out by a bunch of former Australian captain's who were more "simple" and "matey" in their approach.

Channel Seven have brought in McGrath, Nannes, Fleming (yes, he's annoying but he speaks some sense when he's actually talking about cricket) and Copeland- and it has been a very pleasant change. Like Lee, Nannes (in the BBL anyway) and the others have been talking about tactics, a bowlers approach and bringing something different to the coverage than the "simple" analysis that we have become accustomed to.

It's a very subtle change, but in my opinion, it's vital to a balanced coverage. Great to see fast bowlers back into the box.

Not sure if I'm on my own here, but I love what channel seven have done this summer by bringing a few fast bowlers into the commentary box.

I really enjoyed the perspective that Brett Lee brought to the box a few years ago when he talked about setting a batsman up and actually analysed a bowler's entire spell rather than just talking about how tall a bowler is, which niece of a commentator a fast bowler is married to, or how fast they bowled, which was the most that channel nine's brigade was capable of. Unfortunately Lee was drowned out by a bunch of former Australian captain's who were more "simple" and "matey" in their approach.

Channel Seven have brought in McGrath, Nannes, Fleming (yes, he's annoying but he speaks some sense when he's actually talking about cricket) and Copeland- and it has been a very pleasant change. Like Lee, Nannes (in the BBL anyway) and the others have been talking about tactics, a bowlers approach and bringing something different to the coverage than the "simple" analysis that we have become accustomed to.

It's a very subtle change, but in my opinion, it's vital to a balanced coverage. Great to see fast bowlers back into the box.

This is probably the most fast bowlers ever to have been in the same box for Australian television commentary. The longer time went on at Nine, the less they had.

Looking at the list of commentators, the only fast bowlers who did more than two years were Frank Tyson, Max Walker and Brett Lee (who was shunted to The Cricket Show most of the time). Those who did short stints were Julian, Lawson, McGrath, Thomson and Whitney. Most of their guests were fast bowlers as well, but again mostly until the mid-90s before disappearing: Botham, Croft, Hadlee, Holding, Truman, Willis, Waqar.

This is probably the most fast bowlers ever to have been in the same box for Australian television commentary. The longer time went on at Nine, the less they had.

Looking at the list of commentators, the only fast bowlers who did more than two years were Frank Tyson, Max Walker and Brett Lee (who was shunted to The Cricket Show most of the time). Those who did short stints were Julian, Lawson, McGrath, Thomson and Whitney. Most of their guests were fast bowlers as well, but again mostly until the mid-90s before disappearing: Botham, Croft, Hadlee, Holding, Truman, Willis, Waqar.
Was Holding ever a regular on 9, or was he just out here when the Windies were playing (which admittedly was very frequent for a while)?

First 5 minutes watching 7's attempt at cricket and instead of commentating the actual play the geniuses are showing an interview that while good should only be broadcast during a break in play. Between the breach of anti-siphoning and gimmicky s**t like this it's going to be a bloody long six years.

only one I really like is ponting,he doesnt sugar coat things and says what he thinks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back