Strategy 2019 | Let's Construct Our Best 22 | Part 2: Defenders

Which six players should fill the defender positions in 2019?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

But then you have no one who is playing to lock down a tall. Frost and OMac both have their flaws, there is an argument we can get away with neither of them after Lever is back.

Against mods sides i think lever as the 2nd tall will be fine. But I think ideally he gets a free role which means May on the Key, Omac/Frost on the resting ruck/2nd tall and Lever floating and protecting them.

May/Lever/Hibberd/Jetta are the locks. O-Mac to take the second key post. Salem is the unfortunate one to miss IMO, a fit and firing Kolo undeniably improves the 22.

For mine KK has a bit of work to do, in order to push anyone out the prelim final side. He has the talent to be best 22, but we need to see a big pre season and some early season form.

Only six on the team sheet, though!

18+4 is an antiquated idea. The 22 are selected and a player that starts on the bench may be on the field after 60 seconds. Reality is there are 7 defenders selected. Separately selecting the interchange bench is a flawed concept in modern football since interchanges went up about 10 years ago. It's quite common for the four players named on the bench on Thursday night to be different when the final team sheets are released on game day.

18+4 is an antiquated idea. The 22 are selected and a player that starts on the bench may be on the field after 60 seconds. Reality is there are 7 defenders selected. Separately selecting the interchange bench is a flawed concept in modern football since interchanges went up about 10 years ago. It's quite common for the four players named on the bench on Thursday night to be different when the final team sheets are released on game day.
yeah I agree, that's the way I would of preferred it as well. I would have made it, pick 7 defenders, 7 forwards, and 8 mids. the guys who poll the 7th and 8th most votes are then named on the bench. think that would end up a better balanced team in the end.
but not that it really matters. its just there to give us something to ponder and talk about in the off season while we are bored.

Agree that 18+4 in theory doesn't really make sense any longer. But I think I still prefer doing it this way. If we had "choose your top seven defenders", we would have very likely had Sam Frost on the bench. That might still eventuate, but having the interchange separate allows greater flexibility when it comes to the final four positions. I'm not sure many would have all of May, Lever, McDonald and Frost in their 22.

Agree that 18+4 in theory doesn't really make sense any longer. But I think I still prefer doing it this way. If we had "choose your top seven defenders", we would have very likely had Sam Frost on the bench. That might still eventuate, but having the interchange separate allows greater flexibility when it comes to the final four positions. I'm not sure many would have all of May, Lever, McDonald and Frost in their 22.
yeah I doubt most people would want 4 talls out of 7 defender selections either, so i reckon players like KK, Lewis or Hunt would probably end up with a lot more votes if you had to pick 7.
most people would still only choose a combination of 3 talls, like they already have, so I don't think their votes would actually change all that much.
most have Jetta, Hibberd and Salem as the smalls, so then they would likely pick another smaller player as the 7th.
so say there is another 50+ votes split mostly between KK and Lewis, then theoretically one, or both, could end up ahead of Frost in the end.

For mine KK has a bit of work to do, in order to push anyone out the prelim final side. He has the talent to be best 22, but we need to see a big pre season and some early season form.
Unless you count Joel Smith, though I guess he's now a forward

Unless you count Joel Smith, though I guess he's now a forward

Forgot about him, i'd have Fritsch in the side seeing as May will slot into the back 6.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If there is a surprise selection in your best 22 by season end I think it will be Marty Hore. The VFL stars that get picked before the Rookie Draft has generally done very well in their first year on a list in recent years and my tip is that Hore and the player we (freo) selected Brett Bewley will be the two gun mature recruits next season. Sometimes I think people forget when analyzing draft prospects that the absolute guns at VFL level are playing on and beating afl listed players most weeks. Looking at both Bewley and Hore they certainly seem to fit the description of dominant VFL players who regularly beat their man in season 2018.

Hore's stats and the draft reports on his form last year seem very impressive. In 2018 Hore claimed the Magpies’ VFL best and fairest and racked up more marks than any other player in the VFL. He was also the third-ranked player for kicks and contested mark. Looking at his highlights he looks quick and a very good kick. If Lever starts the year late I could see Hore playing round 1 in an intercept role and then being hard to keep out of the team once everyone is available, He looks like he will be a very versatile player who could switch to play on smalls and at 189cm weighing 89 kg he's got good size, so he could also play on a third tall if required. If he can play on a third tall then that would then free Lever up on his return to play the role he played at Adelaide. My tip for your defence is
B: Lever May Hore
HB: Hibbered Macdonald Jetta
Id have Lewis or Hunt (not both) starting on the bench rotating in defence with salem also spending time back but playing midfield as well. Kolo I think is best suited to a wing if he gets his body right. From memory he had his best run of form in his career at Gold Coast when he played on a wing for a an extended period three or so seasons ago.

Last edited:
If there is a surprise selection in your best 22 by season end I think it will be Marty Hore. The VFL stars that get picked before the Rookie Draft has generally done very well in their first year on a list in recent years and my tip is that Hore and the player we (freo) selected Brett Bewley will be the two gun mature recruits next season. Sometimes I think people forget when analyzing draft prospects that the absolute guns at VFL level are playing on and beating afl listed players most weeks. Looking at both Bewley and Hore they certainly seem to fit the description of dominant VFL players who regularly beat their man in season 2018.

Hore's stats and the draft reports on his form last year seem very impressive. In 2018 Hore claimed the Magpies’ VFL best and fairest and racked up more marks than any other player in the VFL. He was also the third-ranked player for kicks and contested mark. Looking at his highlights he looks quick and a very good kick. If Lever starts the year late I could see Hore playing round 1 in an intercept role and then being hard to keep out of the team once everyone is available, He looks like he will be a very versatile player who could switch to play on smalls and at 189cm weighing 89 kg he's got good size, so he could also play on a third tall if required. If he can play on a third tall then that would then free Lever up on his return to play the role he played at Adelaide. My tip for your defence is
Id have Lewis or Hunt (not both) starting on the bench rotating in defence with salem also spending time back but playing midfield as well. Kolo I think is best suited to a wing if he gets his body right. From memory he had his best run of form in his career at Gold Coast when he played on a wing for a an extended period three or so seasons ago.
yeah I reckon you're right, I think Hore could likely slot into our defence as well. but I reckon we will play May with only one of Oscar Mac/Frost/Lever. we played most of last year with 2 tall defenders (sometimes just 1!) and I don't think that'll change too much this year. at times we had Fritsch playing in defence this year as a mid sized defender and I see Hore as being able to fill that role a bit better.
the defence you've chosen looks a little too tall to me. i'd have something more like this most weeks;
Jetta May Hore
Salem Oscar Hibberd
with Lewis/Hunt on the bench.
i also agree that KK does look best suited to the wing, and seeing as we've been lacking in that position I would be a bit surprised if he lined up anywhere else really.

Solid input there mate. I actually reckon Hore might even be in with a chance somewhat early in the season whilst Lever is still injured to cover that 3rd tall roaming defender role.

Like:

FB: Jetta May Hibberd
HB: Salem O. McDonald/Frost Hore

Couldn't find a SC thread, so thought I'd ask here. Any chance Hibberd bounces back this year? Could be a value pick.
He might, but my reservations with him actually doing it is that he actually still had a good season last year, he just didn't have the same output from a stats point of view as the year before, which I'd probably put down to him simply having more support bringing it out of our backline, which won't change.

Couldn't find a SC thread, so thought I'd ask here. Any chance Hibberd bounces back this year? Could be a value pick.

It's possible yeah. He did alot more defending last year which doesn't translate to points and alot less of holding the ball.

With May coming into the side it knocks him one further down the order of blokes to mind and opens him up to attack more. Same when Lever returns.

Sorry to intrude folks. Filtering through each club's best 22's and giving my thoughts.

Didn't notice a dedicated thread for it so like everyone else I'll break it down into zones. If there is a dedicated thread feel free to move this their.

Feedback is appreciated.

FULL BACK: Jetta ~ May ~ Lever/ Hore
HALF BACK: Hibberd ~ O. McDonald ~ Salem

Glad that I've gone with most popular back 6.

Gone with Marty Hore to play early replacing Lever because he just ticks all the boxes for me. Fractionally shorter but both strong intercept players and with Hore's exposure to VFL and Collingwood I think he slots in seamlessly.

As a whole it wasn't a tough zone for me to complete even as a neutral. They generally pick themselves.

The biggest question mark seems to be CHB and if it is Oscar Mc or Frost?

Gone for McDonald but either one can fulfill the role capably.

Adding May to a top 3 back line from 2018, according to Champion Data, is sensational and critical for strengthening the defensive structure.

Although he might not be as tall as your standard key defender he is as strong as an ox and not shifted off the ball easy, fingers crossed he can play majority of games for you in 2019.

FULL BACK: Jetta ~ May ~ Lever
HALF BACK: Hibberd ~ O. McDonald ~ Salem

That's our "full-strength" back six despite the presence of Lever. Hore sounds like he's a chance, but we could also run with:

Jetta - OMac - Lever
Hibberd - Frost - Salem

Other than Frost, the guys above have good job security. OMac will play, but Lever's replacement could be any of a number of players (Hore, Frost, Petty, Fritsch, etc). Goodwin doesn't mind backing a bolter in.

Back