Darren Cahill

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess it’s good as a point of difference but he seems more icing on a very stale cake.

Hopefully more changes to come in that regard.

The wording of the statement is very interesting.

'I have been close to David Koch for some time'

'I’m looking forward now to assisting David and his Board'

I think the blow torch is on at the club?

A few things that have happened in the last few weeks suggest it might be, certainly hope so.

This seems like a great appointment for the on field side of things. He brings some real acumen in an elite sporting environment.

As far as off field stuff goes time will tell, not all board members have to have both anyway.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
I see his benefit as more off-field, the reason being his international scope that he would have developed over the years traveling the world, and rubbing shoulders with sporting high-flyers. I am sure he won't limit Port to the local post code!

I am not so sure that bit is such a good thing and I do not think it necessarily suggests a blow torch is being applied in fact I would not like to think Kochie is out recruiting yes men. I will agree with the blow torch proposition when and if we see who is being jettisoned from the existing Board because there are a couple who can go.

Do not get me wrong as I think Darren Cahill is a good appointment as he has a lot to offer but I hope he calls it as he sees it because that is what the Port Adelaide Football Club needs at the moment. I am also not sure how Darren will work this into his overseas commitments. Maybe a lot of video conferencing in the early hours of the morning?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Darren Cahill is filling the vacant 10th board seat that has been vacant since Richard Ryan resigned as a Director on 14/10/16. Ryan was Chancellor and then Deputy Chancellor of Charles Darwin University was NT based and spent 30 years in both Higher Education and Vocational Education and Training, in the Northern Territory.

George Fiachi is one of the 2 member elected board directors and is up for re-election and nominations to stand against George, closed on Wednesday this week ie 5th December.

Here is a cut and paste of part of a post, about boards I put in the Holly Ranson thread, where sports coaching guru Wayne Goldsmith talked about what and who you need on a board. I put in bold who we have but I will put their background in blue for this post and have added Cahil
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/holly-ransom-and-the-board.1127534/page-26#post-57505132

Here’s a really great 7 member Board model for sporting organisations to adopt:
  • Enlist 2 people who really know the game, understand it’s nature and the unique culture of the sport – as it is today: they bring relevance;
  • [We have Fiachi small business owner and Haslam chartered accountant, turned professional board director]
  • 2 people from within the sporting industry but outside the gameitself who understand sport and what has / hasn’t worked with other sports but who are not constrained by the limitations, history and traditions of the specific sport they will be leading: they bring abroad, balanced, sports industry perspective; [Cahill - professional tennis player and coach and tennis TV comentator and Osborn accounting and banking turned professional board director - basketball background]
  • 2 people from outside of sport who understand business, finance, marketing, success and winning but who are not constrained by the limitations, history and traditions of the sporting industry; they bring objectivity, sustainability and growth;
  • [Ranson lawyer and professional board director,
  • Vanstone lawyer and politician,
  • Cardone reporter, TV producer media executive,
  • Thiele chartered accountant turned professional board director,
  • Restas commercial lawyer]
  • plus 1 real Leader – with real vision, understanding, knowledge and passion to see the sport become the best in the world: he / she brings leadership, vision and a strategic approach to the future success of the organisation. [Koch accounting, media/publishing, TV host]
What do the people on your Board bring?

Wayne Goldsmith

Hopefully he can impart some of his coachng excellence to our coaches
I dont know how, given board members aren't be employees of the club.

I guess someone has a theory and a formula for everything. There is probably a formula for creating a formula.
It doesn't mean you need to follow it to the dot, but it is a good reference — specially when your Board is not working properly.

It doesn't mean you need to follow it to the dot, but it is a good reference — specially when your Board is not working properly.
And he has spent 25+ years working with National Olympic Committee boards, national sporting organisations boards and individual team boards.

https://wgcoaching.com/

He has a big ugly head like his father. Instant success incoming!

Book mark it.

Or call it horrible nepotism like they do down the road and yet we celebrate it here.

He has a big ugly head like his father. Instant success incoming!

Book mark it.

Or call it horrible nepotism like they do down the road and yet we celebrate it here.
Nepotism is NOT hiring family members, but hiring people solely because they are family members. If you have someone qualified in the family, that's one more reason to bring the guy in.

Nepotism is NOT hiring family members, but hiring people solely because they are family members. If you have someone qualified in the family, that's one more reason to bring the guy in.
Nepotism = Family Values. Ever heard anyone campaign against family values?

The key is you don't give a family member a job past their ability.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back