Australia v India, 1st Test at Adelaide Oval Dec 6-10.

Remove this Banner Ad

You would select an injury prone Pattinson, who I believe is on restricted overs in Shield cricket, for a test match. Sounds like a cracking idea.

Not sure how fit he was, in truth. I simply knew that he is playing Sheffield Shield cricket.

If he isn't fit enough, then Tremain would be the next cab off the rank. I still wouldn't pick him over Starc though.

Yeah in my view it is - he's two levels down, Warner is at No.2. I think it presents a number of concerns, technique, motivation, confidence. This is the guy some people think is a "once in a generation player" (Never in my view) He's back in grade and just bog average. That's a real worry I reckon.

Smith is batting beautifully. Watched him score a fantistic 40 odd a couple of weeks ago. Not one shot in the air until the one where he got caught

I'd take Carey. More upside, just as justified. Future potential leader. He's 27 - if he isn't ready now, how old does he have to be? I'm not sure if he'll ever average more than 40 in FC which is what he's doing this season.
Carey is definitely next i the queue and would be playing but for the leadership issue. Wade isn't the answer as a keeper or batsman, he's no doubt a fighter but way too much bottom hand for my liking. Paine is skipper until the next leader emerges....and he may be doing it just now, I'd put Head as Test Captain before Ussie for a number of reasons.

Carey is definitely next i the queue and would be playing but for the leadership issue. Wade isn't the answer as a keeper or batsman, he's no doubt a fighter but way too much bottom hand for my liking. Paine is skipper until the next leader emerges....and he may be doing it just now, I'd put Head as Test Captain before Ussie for a number of reasons.
Terrorism?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For the first time in our history we have had to pick a player to be Captain before picking our best XI. That's purely because of the leadership vacuum we have in the game in this country at the moment. If Paine were to go off injured Josh Hazelwood is Test Captain - that is just too stupid to contemplate.

That's the sort of thing we used to mock England for doing

Excellent observations and very, very valid. His life up until now has been purely focussed on cricket. Will his priorities have changed even slightly? Will he have the same desire and focus? Because with a unorthodox technique that relies on freakish hand eye co-ordination he's git to have everything going for him. I hope he can.

Just to add to your point about desire and focus it's a very real possibility that he would have found other things to escape into just to cope with the mental trauma of having the biggest part of his world caved in overnight. It's more precarious than that: If he didn't and remained solely focused on cricket then how fatigued/depressed by self-doubt would he be?

With freakish hand-eye requires even greater concentration and willpower to use it. More so than most batsmen. It wouldn't take much doubt/loss of motivation to severely impact that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back