Opposition players you like or respect?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jack Viney, love the way this lad plays and attacks the footy, a proud and passionate Dees man and it shows. He is one of those F/S picks that will prove the son is better than the father (and Todd was a champion too)

Nic-Nat, rarely seen a ruckman play so majestic and graceful. Was gutted he didn't play in the premiership, but he is also a terrific human being, his twitter posts give a good insight into the type of quality person he is. A rare breed.

Steele Sidebottom - Yes I know he is part ot the hated enemy, but he is just so slick and entertaining to watch. Personally i was hoping he'd win the brownlow over Tom Mitchell tbh

Ben Brown - Who doesn't love Sideshow Bob. Another gun footballer who is also a terrific bloke. Quite frankly i think he is vastly underrated, if he played for a big Vic club, his face would he plastered everywhere. Legit top 15 player in the league (don't @ me)

Robbie Gray - Super, super player who deserves to play in more finals and a flag, sadly can't see it happening under the current Port regime. In full flight he is sublime, and almost the best player in the league. As i say, i fear Port is wasting his talents ...

You gotta love some of these characters still in footy .
Max Gawn would definitely be one of those blokes who seems super on and off the field .

Can't stand Gawn don't know if it's his fault or some publicist's idea but the way he plays himself as some working class guy who wasn't afforded the same opportunities as private school footballers is complete bogus. He grew up in Brighton and went to one of the best public schools in the state

Jack Viney, love the way this lad plays and attacks the footy, a proud and passionate Dees man and it shows. He is one of those F/S picks that will prove the son is better than the father (and Todd was a champion too)

Nic-Nat, rarely seen a ruckman play so majestic and graceful. Was gutted he didn't play in the premiership, but he is also a terrific human being, his twitter posts give a good insight into the type of quality person he is. A rare breed.

Steele Sidebottom - Yes I know he is part ot the hated enemy, but he is just so slick and entertaining to watch. Personally i was hoping he'd win the brownlow over Tom Mitchell tbh

Ben Brown - Who doesn't love Sideshow Bob. Another gun footballer who is also a terrific bloke. Quite frankly i think he is vastly underrated, if he played for a big Vic club, his face would he plastered everywhere. Legit top 15 player in the league (don't @ me)

Robbie Gray - Super, super player who deserves to play in more finals and a flag, sadly can't see it happening under the current Port regime. In full flight he is sublime, and almost the best player in the league. As i say, i fear Port is wasting his talents ...
The segment of the media obsessed with targeting NicNat just seems so grubby upon reflection.

Joe Daniher is my guilty pleasure player to watch. He veers from hot garbage to sublime, rare maestro genius (and very little in between)

I would argue Joe Daniher is the most fascinating player in the game, when he is hot, he wins games for The Bombers, but his cold patches is Arctic Cold.

Reckon Essendon would have played finals last season had he stayed healthy FWIW.

He is more pivotal to Essendon's on field success than many pundits realize.

Always loved Brett Deledio. He never came on as much as I thought he would, but I saw an absolute weapon in him, he seemed like the prototype midfielder when he was drafted. Boy was he fast! Beautiful long right foot kick with incredible accuracy, strong overhead mark, kept his feet in contests and although he didn't rack up tackle numbers he never backed out of contests. I feel like he could have been better, but if I was building a football athletically speaking I'd start with someone of Deledio's mould. His football skills were just a bonus.

Robbie Grey is another, my admiration for him peaked a few years ago, it has dwindled lately with his antics in front of umpires but that takes nothing away from his incredible skills. He always chose the best option and being in traffic was no detriment to him due to his agility and strength, it was very hard to ever effect a turnover when pressuring him. He was and still is capable of the miraculous.

Sam Mitchel I always admired. Ben Cousins was my favourite player of all time and I saw some massively similar traits with Mitchell as he was coming through but he became his own sort of player in the end and didn't really follow that mould. I guess I always had an appreciation of guys who copped a smashing from the opposition and just got on with business, but I always appreciated a play maker who could create things with dual sidedness and vision. It's one of those weird followings where you were following them 'before it was cool' and felt that extra admiration because of it.

David Wojcinski always had my respect. Not a superstar by any means but I'd watch Geelong just to see him break lines, the audacity to tuck the ball under the arm and accelerate past a lunging opponent is like poetry to me. It's the same thing when someone with a long boot has the ball you yearn for them to deliver something 60ms on the tit, with Wojo you just watched him to see when he'd get his opportunity to make everyone look like 14 year old boys chasing a grown man, he mixed acceleration with swerveability and was a pleasure to watch, he attacked the jugular with his direct ball movement. Add Matt White to this to a lesser extent. I miss the days Will Schofield would run out of defence, he has an amazing ability to swerve at full pace as well and break people's ankles in the process. I hope young J

Gaff before the Brayshaw incident was near the top of my list. If he stays out of trouble from now on, and continues to deal with it well, that respect will come back

Why would Brayshaw lose any of your respect after the Gaff incident?.

Why would Brayshaw lose any of your respect after the Gaff incident?.
I'm struggling to understand your logic....the only loss of respect is on Gaff....not Brayshaw. The Brayshaw's would have to be amongst the most highly respected family's in West Australian sport.

So if he played for as Vic team would it have made him magically a better player or would he be perceived by the dullard parochial press and by extension the dullard Victorian public in general to be better?

He would have breathed more Vic air and as a result been a far better and injury free player. Because Victoria is better at everything than SA.

It's weird but I've come to like Eddie Betts of late. Use to be really annoying at Carlton but now his one I like. Seems like his matured a lot. Respect the way his ended his career.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BBBrown and Cunnington from the Roos

Seedsman and Laird ( Cheney ) from the Crows

Kickingfooties from the bombers

Haynes from GWS

Stratton and Breust from the Hawks

Max Gawn before those adds

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fyfe and Danger - love the way they go about it, strong powerful mids that dominate
Kelly, just an all round special player

In the past:
Judd at WCE before his groins took away a few yards of pace. Still a special player at carlton but from a spectacle viewpoint, loved his earlier work.
Diesel Williams, best hands and vision the game has ever seen.
Voss is probably the best on field leader Ive ever seen, had the persona of "I'm going and taking you all with me", and
G Ablett snr, freak, best ive ever seen

Jack Riewoldt for me. Has gone from being Nick’s cousin, to copping slack at times, to racking up a few Coleman’s and AA’s and being a key player in Richmond’s premiership team. I thought he was terrific in the first half of that GF. Missed a couple of shots on goal, but chased and tackled and never dropped his head. Has shown versatility and adaptability to play a team role or be the go-to guy. This bloke has definitely won my respect over the journey.

Of past players i really liked Voss, Cousins, Simon Black, Lenny Hayes, Matty Lappin, Pavlich, Rohan Smith, Jason Johnson, Mcleod, FEVOLAAAAA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back