Australia v India, 1st Test at Adelaide Oval Dec 6-10.

Remove this Banner Ad

Given how soft he ultimately proved to be, I'm betting his iPod is stacked with Perry Como and the like.

He apparently listened to a cover of a Cheap Trick song, so I'm guessing pop-rock at least.

I don't think he was ever likely to enjoy a long Test career - his action was an injury waiting to happen and he didn't offer much when he wasn't bowling well (which to be frank was too often).

Marshs dismissal should be career ending.

Unless he comes out bigtime second innings he wont play again

Even if he does, it should be career ending.

If we are going to rebuild...and I don't mind if we do but having a thirty six year old failure spud up all the time at number 4 is a worry. His shot today was just classic Marsh If we are 2-300 put him down for a ton, 2 for 40...may as well be 13th man for the use he'll be

Given how soft he ultimately proved to be, I'm betting his iPod is stacked with Perry Como and the like.
I was having a drink in the Hyde Park Tavern not long after Tait played that Test against India in Perth when I saw him waiting at the lights to cross Park St and he looked buggered. I reckon you might be a bit unkind here, he looked like he had issues.

I suppose that the problem with punting people based on dumb dismissals is that the way we're going you would have to change at least half of the Top 6 every Test.

India would have to drop Vijay, Rahul, Rahane, Kohli and Rohit. I'm okay if I was supporting India with the last one.

On Wade, if he's logically the next best bat on current form, play him. There's an Ashes tour in a matter of months FFS, it ain't the time to be throwing kids in to see how they handle it. It could legitimately derail a young career.

Imagine Mike Hussey had been given a shot at 24 and maybe again at 27 and not quite made the grade...would he have been given the opportunity to have his incredible post-30 international career? Even look at Ishant Sharma now and tell me he isn't a better player now than his first tour here.

Given the current state of the national team, Shield form has to count for something regardless of age.

My overall thoughts:

1) A poor day, but with our batting lineup how surprised should we be? It has gotten to the point where we need to bowl sides out for 150-200 consistently to have a good shot at a first innings lead, but that just isn't a realistic expectation no matter how good your bowling lineup is. Paine losing his way with DRS/field placing towards the end of yesterday looks like it will hurt.

2) Langer has put his stamp on the side in terms of playing style - where Lehmann's sides often tried to hit bowlers out of the attack, Langer's sides try and grind them down. The problem was that 1) we didn't rotate the strike effectively like Pujara did yesterday and 2) a few of our batsmen played poor shots. As such, we may not have collapsed over minutes, instead eroding over hours, but the end effect was still similar.

3) India generally bowled tight, disciplined lines. Against such a unit it is important to rotate the strike, not only to get their fielders to wear themselves out by chasing the ball, but also to disrupt their bowlers rhythm against left-right hand combinations, and also give their captain something to think about RE field placings. We didn't do that though, so their bowlers were able to settle into a comfortable rhythm and Kohli didn't really have to change that much. western royboy suggested that this was down to 20/20 cricket and its emphasis on boundary-hitting rather than running between the wickets (unlike ODI's) and given CA's apparent deference towards that format I have to agree.

4) The conditions are hard to read because IMO neither side has batted particularly well. My impression yesterday is that after some early movement with the new ball, the pitch was largely blameless and could yield plenty of runs provided that batsmen got set, rotated the strike intelligently and didn't play silly shots. Today there was a bit more spin but nothing extravagant. Again, Travis Head showed that patient, intelligent batting could get results.

5) Beyond a second innings miracle, Shaun Marsh is surely on his last legs. He did well in the Shield but his Test form has been shocking and Ashwin seems to have his number. The question is who replaces him. Wade and Maxwell are the most obvious options. The former is in better Shield form and plays pace more effectively but the latter is a right-hander (thus making it harder for Ashwin to dismiss him on non-dustbowls) who plays spin better. Wade is more likely to be selected.

6) I'm worried about Finch's technique when the ball is moving. He will do OK opening in the UAE and facing a lot of spin bowling but I'm not so convinced he can do the job here. Maybe give him one more Test match before making a decision.

Obviously they aren't all left handed are they.

U just pick the best 6 bastards with the stick and see if the can do the job. I'm against licking blokes because they hold the bat on a certain side because of an opposition bowler

Most of our top six are, yes.

Wasn't advocating picking on the way they hold a bat, just an observation.

Why are all our batsmen left-handed? Plays right into Ashwin's hands

Idk.

At least Head is doing a good job thus far.

My overall thoughts:

5) Beyond a second innings miracle, Shaun Marsh is surely on his last legs. He did well in the Shield but his Test form has been shocking and Ashwin seems to have his number. The question is who replaces him. Wade and Maxwell are the most obvious options. The former is in better Shield form and plays pace more effectively but the latter is a right-hander (thus making it harder for Ashwin to dismiss him on non-dustbowls) who plays spin better. Wade is more likely to be selected.

6) I'm worried about Finch's technique when the ball is moving. He will do OK opening in the UAE and facing a lot of spin bowling but I'm not so convinced he can do the job here. Maybe give him one more Test match before making a decision.

I think Shaun will be fine for the series.

Finch will get the series as well. I reckon if both him and Shaun mess up, it gives new blood a chance against a weak SL team, and to be able to build for the Ashes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Shaun will be fine for the series.

Finch will get the series as well. I reckon if both him and Shaun mess up, it gives new blood a chance against a weak SL team, and to be able to build for the Ashes.

Truth is, Shaun Marsh's selection reminds me of Marcus North's selection during the 2010/11 Ashes.

Both were left-handed batsmen who kept their place on account of some good Shield scores (as in Shaun's case) and a recent Test century (North's case) that obscured the fact that both had endured quite shocking runs of recent Test form. Plus, both were up against off-spinners who had their number (Swann/Ashwin). North failed and was dumped.

For that reason, I'm very worried about Shaun. It's hard for me to see him turning things around ATM.

Truth is, Shaun Marsh's selection reminds me of Marcus North's selection during the 2010/11 Ashes.

Both were left-handed batsmen who kept their place on account of some good Shield scores (as in Shaun's case) and a recent Test century (North's case) that obscured the fact that both had endured quite shocking runs of recent Test form. Plus, both were up against off-spinners who had their number (Swann/Ashwin). North failed and was dumped.

For that reason, I'm very worried about Shaun. It's hard for me to see him turning things around ATM.

Good old North. All I remember is that he took a wicket at Brissie in the 2nd innings.

Well you just hope that he can score runs in the 2nd innings. All that he can do is be patient and score runs.

It is also up to the other players in Shield to score tons and that includes Mitch Marsh, Wade, Maxwell, and so on. Shaun got in because he made runs when others didn't

Good old North. All I remember is that he took a wicket at Brissie in the 2nd innings.

Well you just hope that he can score runs in the 2nd innings. All that he can do is be patient and score runs.

It is also up to the other players in Shield to score tons and that includes Mitch Marsh, Wade, Maxwell, and so on. Shaun got in because he made runs when others didn't

Wade did.

I'm also not sorry that Mitch was dropped. He was faring almost as poorly as Shaun.

I also hope that Shaun turns it around, but I'm pessimistic.

What is a realistic pass mark for Shaun Marsh in his second dig? 50?

You have to give Marsh another test. Finch will get 3 to prove himself along with Harris. There isn't anything in the shield demanding selection. Geez Finch averaged 45 in the UAE give him to boxing day if not farewell. It's one innings you muppets. Burns, Maxwell, Renshaw wouldn't have made a lick of difference

Sent from my SM-A300Y using Tapatalk

I had reservations about Head because he's a left-hander and his UAE tour was mixed, but he's stood up well today.

Maybe Burns for Finch and Maxwell for S Marsh?

Not sure Burns is the answer. He has the same technical problems as Finch.

Disappointed for Finch, would love to have seen him stand up and make some runs, that was a terrible shot.

Not sure Burns is the answer. He has the same technical problems as Finch.

Disappointed for Finch, would love to have seen him stand up and make some runs, that was a terrible shot.

Joe Burns is a much better batsman than Aaron Finch.

Problem is that besides Harris, Burns has the best SS record of all the openers, plus he's opened more than Finch has in recent times (in red-ball cricket).

Finch was more suitable for the UAE because he would face a lot of spin and not much movement, but at home playing against more pace bowling I think that Burns is more likely to succeed despite his technical faults and his reputation for being a poor starter. Burns also has a better temperament than Finch IMO, so I think he's more likely to make a big score.

I would still give Finch the next Test though.

The truth is that there are no easy answers. Harris, Handscomb and Head at the very least looked promising so I'm happy to back them for the next few Tests.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back