List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Is Ross still the man for the job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

No, you're not "missing anything". I think Lyon does the type of skills training that is appropriate for his game plan. It's the game plan, and how we train, not what we train, that that I dislike. An open, high scoring game style like Hawhtorn's would train more fast and exciting skills. These aren't needed in Lyon's style of play. That's what I dislike, but I will give him this year to change my mind.
I’m sure if we had Cyril, Gunston, Breust and Roughead, we would’ve scored pretty heavily in the last 3 yrs.
If we keep close to best 22 on the park next yr it’s inevitable that once we gel, we will score.
Remember when we used to wipe teams off the park in the first half with bulk scoring shots in the glory days. That was under Ross!

My take from our trading/drafting of the the last couple years is that we have put an emphasis on the ability to use the ball by foot.

From the couple of training sessions I've watched, we're looking to get the ball outside by hand across half back and the move the ball long and direct to a marking/running target.

It's an exciting and simple game plan that looks great at training. Whether we can make it work consistently against quality opposition remains to be seen. The thing that excites me is that I reckon that we have a better list to implement that plan than we've ever had.

Ross took time out of his day to come over, have a chat to some watchers and joke around with my son about eating his popcorn on Friday. He was also amazing with my oldest boy when he won Docker for the day in 2013.

He's the best coach we've had and there's no one better on the market. I've got 100% faith hes got the team on the right track .

My take from our trading/drafting of the the last couple years is that we have put an emphasis on the ability to use the ball by foot.

From the couple of training sessions I've watched, we're looking to get the ball outside by hand across half back and the move the ball long and direct to a marking/running target.

It's an exciting and simple game plan that looks great at training. Whether we can make it work consistently against quality opposition remains to be seen. The thing that excites me is that I reckon that we have a better list to implement that plan than we've ever had.
Where does Conca fit into this prototype? I have no issue with Conca as a free hit he provides inside hardness and decent defensive pressure, but not sure that he has demonstrated in an AFL environment “ability to use the ball by foot”. He can use the ball by foot but not in an exceptionally skilled manner.

Also Colyer tends to have difficulty showing poise with his foot skills - esp. when travelling at speed. I do think he will be handy on the fast deck that is the Optus stadium though.

Ross took time out of his day to come over, have a chat to some watchers and joke around with my son about eating his popcorn on Friday. He was also amazing with my oldest boy when he won Docker for the day in 2013.

He's the best coach we've had and there's no one better on the market. I've got 100% faith hes got the team on the right track .
Time will tell. The team really needs to show further improvement in 2019. Less of the smashings on the road and a few more wins overall would make me happy and if he does this he can fulfil his final contracted year. If he doesn’t we will have a new coach in 2020.

Where does Conca fit into this prototype? I have no issue with Conca as a free hit he provides inside hardness and decent defensive pressure, but not sure that he has demonstrated in an AFL environment “ability to use the ball by foot”. He can use the ball by foot but not in an exceptionally skilled manner.

Also Colyer tends to have difficulty showing poise with his foot skills - esp. when travelling at speed. I do think he will be handy on the fast deck that is the Optus stadium though.

It's pretty clear Conca and Colyer are hardened bodies to fill specific roles and provide depth and as you say we got them cheap. As much as everyone wants to see us run and gun, any Ross Lyon team will have a strong defensive aspect to it.

Wilson, Ryan, Cerra, Bewley and Valente have all been added in the last couple of years and are much better than average kicks. You can add Bennell and McCarthy as well. If you compare their kicking skills to the guys they replaced, I think we're clearly in front. Lobb and Hogan are there to be on the end of it.

I'm sure Ross would love every player to be an elite kick but you need to balance kicking ability against other needs. You wouldn't describe Jeremy McGovern as a particularly great field kick, but you'd take him a heartbeat for his marking ability.

I'm sure Ross would love every player to be an elite kick but you need to balance kicking ability against other needs. You wouldn't describe Jeremy McGovern as a particularly great field kick, but you'd take him a heartbeat for his marking ability.
The f***? Gov is a fantastic field kick.

What does it matter if he is the best coach we've ever had, hes up against four others FCOL. This really gets thrown around far to much!

As for there being no one better, the market we would be looking in puts him up against untried coaches, not really a massive endorsement...

As for there being no one better, the market we would be looking in puts him up against untried coaches, not really a massive endorsement...

So your argument is an untried coach may be better or worse and we should go for it because Ross is the best coach we've had and people point that out in his defense but he's only the best because all others have been worse?

In the words of Owen Wilson, wow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McGovern is a good kick for a key defender but is there actually a key defender in the entire competition that is a good kick compared to the competition in general (ie top 10-20% of best 22 players)? Being a good kick for a key defender is still valuable imo.

It’s why Michael Johnson was such a special player.

So your argument is an untried coach may be better or worse and we should go for it because Ross is the best coach we've had and people point that out in his defense but he's only the best because all others have been worse?

Did you get help from a 5 year old, or did you put that together all by yourself?

Ether way, just stick to what is written and either reply to that, or dont. But dont tell me s**t I didnt say!

An Owen Wilson crack, nice one skippy...

Neesham was the best coach we ever had it's just a pity that the head coach had so much say in list management in those days because he sucked at that

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Neesham was the best coach we ever had it's just a pity that the head coach had so much say in list management in those days because he sucked at that

No he wasn’t, he didn’t get freo near a grand final let alone in one.

Yes he was an innovator, and it would be interesting to see him coach now with modern resourcing but Lyon is head and shoulders above all others.

Either this year or next his bandwagon will be full again.

Yes he was an innovator, and it would be interesting to see him coach now with modern resourcing but Lyon is head and shoulders above all others.

Someone with his kind of thinking could be a terrific assistant coach.

Bah , give the Neesh Pav , Fyfe , Walters , McPharlin Sandi and Mundy to work with and he leaves Lyon for dead

Bah , give the Neesh Pav , Fyfe , Walters , McPharlin Sandi and Mundy to work with and he leaves Lyon for dead

Back