Training 2019 Preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

https://www.ntnews.com.au/news/joel...m/news-story/4bcf2d6bbb1fa9bdd990146606ef2494

The article does say "Allies squad" but it is actually referring an Allies Talent Academy, which is having a training camp right now. I think the asterisks are questionable because this article says Malcolm Rosas Jnr is one of 3 players picked. Hewago Paul Oea and Connor Budarick are our best Academy prospects and among the first picked, however, this is a new Allies concept aimed at unearthing new talent with the squads of 30 (Vic Metro, Vic Country, SA and WA have squads too) must have 10 underagers.

I am more interested in why those 3 NT boys are training with the Sun because we used to have NT in our zone before the AFL gave it to GWS - remember Steven May? Malcolm Rosas Jnr is a little 175cm livewire, while Ben Jungfer is a 185cm inside mid and Joel Jeffrey is an under age marking forward. I don't know if the Suns or Lions (the trio are also training with Brisbane) will have first access to them in the Draft.

Interesting.......With so many new faces at the Club, I think it's a great idea...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-12-05/best-of-enemies-extra-scratch-matches-for-lions-suns
North Melbourne and Geelong have done this for a while, given their coaches are twins. Geelong are pretty famous for tanking in the preseason, but scratch matches with North behind closed doors have been their preference. I doubt there will be any advantage to either side in terms of tactics or if any then both sides would gain equal benefit. QClashes next year will carry more incentive as a club for the Suns to beat the Lions.

But to be honest I am more interested in the Suns own intraclub scratch matches to see which new acquisitions can claim a round 1 spot.

Michael Whiting's article

Injury list

Sam Day: Had shoulder surgery in the off-season but is already close to a full return. Day is marking the ball and will resume full contact after Christmas.

Nic Holman: The tough utility has suffered a bit of back soreness in the past fortnight. It's nothing too serious but his workload will be cut back in the next few weeks before being ramped up again after Christmas.

George Horlin-Smith: Like Day, the Geelong recruit had off-season shoulder surgery. He's taken part in the team drills – wearing the orange 'no contact' cap. He'll be fully integrated when the players return from their break.

Jack Leslie: The key defender is the biggest concern following an off-season knee operation. He's started back running but is a way off joining the main group.

Michael Whiting's article

Injury list

Sam Day: Had shoulder surgery in the off-season but is already close to a full return. Day is marking the ball and will resume full contact after Christmas.

Nic Holman: The tough utility has suffered a bit of back soreness in the past fortnight. It's nothing too serious but his workload will be cut back in the next few weeks before being ramped up again after Christmas.

George Horlin-Smith: Like Day, the Geelong recruit had off-season shoulder surgery. He's taken part in the team drills – wearing the orange 'no contact' cap. He'll be fully integrated when the players return from their break.

Jack Leslie: The key defender is the biggest concern following an off-season knee operation. He's started back running but is a way off joining the main group.

From this same article....as well as a small amount of injuries, the bolded bit is the part I really like....

With Tom Lynch and Steven May leaving, who will join David Swallow, Jarrod Harbrow and Jarrod Witts in leadership positions? Touk Miller is already a leader and been loud at training, but Brayden Fiorini, Jack Bowes and Lachie Weller have also noticeably taken a step forward in that regard. Bowes and Weller have also had draftees around for dinner. The new captain – and leadership group – will be named sometime after Christmas and these guys are already putting their hands up.

Is anyone else annoyed that we didn't chase Braydon Preuss this off season? He's a former academy member who couldn't really get a look in behind Todd Goldstein at North and went to Melbourne where he's now behind the premier ruckman in the AFL - Max King! 23 years old and would be a magnificent backup/tandem ruckman with Witts.

Really think Preuss was a missed opportunity for us given our lack of ruck stocks.

Is anyone else annoyed that we didn't chase Braydon Preuss this off season? He's a former academy member who couldn't really get a look in behind Todd Goldstein at North and went to Melbourne where he's now behind the premier ruckman in the AFL - Max King! 23 years old and would be a magnificent backup/tandem ruckman with Witts.

Really think Preuss was a missed opportunity for us given our lack of ruck stocks.
i believe you mean max gawn. it was a strange move by him, considering goldy is getting older and if preuss stuck around he could have potentially taken the number 1 ruck role at north within a year or so depending on his own development. even though he's from cairns, wouldn't be surprised to see him back in the sunshine state at some point in his career.

I thought so too, but Braydon evidently wanted to stay in Melbourne. It was reported that several clubs were into him and you can be assured that our club made enquiries.

But rather than just looking his height and potential, when you take a look at his actual AFL experience the numbers are less flattering. He averages fewer than 9 disposals, has a goalkicking accuracy of 41%, gives away free kicks at a ratio of 4 to 1 received, has disposal efficiency of 57% and North lost 7 out the 8 games he played. His stats aren't even top 5 compared to Suns ruckmen Witts, Nicholls, Crossley, Wright and Day.

On potential, I agree that Preuss will become one of the better ruckmen in the years to come. It appears that Melbourne have given him assurances of AFL action in tandem with Max Gawn. Norf tried to play him in the same team with Goldstein, but it never worked despite the pair dominating everyone except Grundy, with Preuss' solitary victory coming when he played in the ruck with Majak Daw. This season Norf abandoned the 2 ruck option and won 12 games.

Stef Martin was a struggling ruckman until his late 20s. Witts was 3rd string at Collingwood. It takes a long time to mature into a starting AFL ruckman, but at 23 he's very young and could have 10 or more seasons in him. He'll be back when the time is right. BTW, he's from Townsville, where he played Rugby League before being identified by Hermit Park (Jarrod Harbrow, Josh Jenkins, Jake Spencer, Josh Williams, Dirk Koenen, Ryan Gilmore) which is the PBC Factory of North Queensland and we frustratingly continue to overlook their talent.

Are you sure we didn't chase after him? Also I wouldn't say we have a lack of ruck options with Witts, Nicholls, Wright and Day all capable. I believe Crossley also has some ruck experience

Are you sure we didn't chase after him? Also I wouldn't say we have a lack of ruck options with Witts, Nicholls, Wright and Day all capable. I believe Crossley also has some ruck experience
Brayden Crossley played ruck in the U18 National Championships and won the Allies MVP. He was the 4th ruck taken in last year's Draft at pick #52, whereas Braydon Preuss was only picked up in the Rookie Draft after the Suns passed on him. They will both make it as AFL ruckmen, but Preuss is a Rugby League convert who has taken time to develop, whereas Crossley is a virtual father son and has been planning for a career with the Suns/Sharks since he was a kid. If the AFL is getting taller, which I believe it is (Collingwood's GF side had 4 players under 6 foot (183cm) and 10 players over 6'3 (190cm) while West Coast had 5 smalls and 9 talls, although the Eagles talls were taller) Crossley's undersized ruckman come extra forward may become a valuable utility role.

https://www.ntnews.com.au/news/joel...m/news-story/4bcf2d6bbb1fa9bdd990146606ef2494

The article does say "Allies squad" but it is actually referring an Allies Talent Academy, which is having a training camp right now. I think the asterisks are questionable because this article says Malcolm Rosas Jnr is one of 3 players picked. Hewago Paul Oea and Connor Budarick are our best Academy prospects and among the first picked, however, this is a new Allies concept aimed at unearthing new talent with the squads of 30 (Vic Metro, Vic Country, SA and WA have squads too) must have 10 underagers.

I am more interested in why those 3 NT boys are training with the Sun because we used to have NT in our zone before the AFL gave it to GWS - remember Steven May? Malcolm Rosas Jnr is a little 175cm livewire, while Ben Jungfer is a 185cm inside mid and Joel Jeffrey is an under age marking forward. I don't know if the Suns or Lions (the trio are also training with Brisbane) will have first access to them in the Draft.

They're training at both Brisbane and the Suns, probably because we're a damn sight closer than Melbourne.

What's interesting is if any of those boys are Aboriginal, then technically they should be tied to one of the Vic club NGA academies, as the NT was divided up between the Vic clubs.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/game-development/nab-afl-rising-star-program/nga-clubacademies

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a little surprised there has been no mention or discussion about Brisbane and Gold Coast playing some scratch matches in the preseason on here. I know on the Lions board we have asked our club rep if the game/s can be streamed.

Just a little surprised there has been no mention or discussion about Brisbane and Gold Coast playing some scratch matches in the preseason on here. I know on the Lions board we have asked our club rep if the game/s can be streamed.
It was mentioned a few pages ago either here or on the media thread.

Why do you want it streamed? It will essentially be training. Even less of a spectacle than JLT.

I'd be more interested to know if they are open to the public to watch. And given I'm now living a suburb away from the Gabba I would definitely be keen to represent.

And footy X or whatever it's called....
AFLX is going to be an invitational this year. 4 Captains, 1 team Indigenous, choosing school yard style. Whole thing will start and finish in a day at Marvel Stadium. Suns likely to only have Jack Martin and maybe Jarrod Harbrow if anyone. I think the idea sucks the big one and am frankly surprised that it was ratified. The intention is for the best AFL players to participate, but what's the point. I actually hope no Suns players get invited, although the Indigenous All Stars team would be something the players would get personal satisfaction from playing. I was hoping the 2018 model would come to Metricon, with 6 teams playing round robin to determine a final. Probably best if no Suns are involved - zero chance of injury.

God I find this so annoying and jeune
Maybe that's the point
I don't hate North Melbourne, but they all but committed to relocating to the GC and then allowed a small minority of their members to vote it down. Money was spent on having them play at Carrara and for the 2 years that they were warming to the idea, the AFL could have been concentrating on directly setting up an independent franchise. Instead, the Suns were cobbled together in a hurry and we are still suffering from the rushed decisions and lack of infrastructure from those early days. Now North are playing 4 games in Hobart and that just pisses me off.

I don't know why people are so against AFLX , it is the same format as indoor soccer and beach soccer or beach volleyball . Without beautiful girl watching it .
It's simple, really. Out of 18 teams, none took it seriously, each sending a B-team to compete for a worthless tournament. The Bulldogs sent a team of teenagers, while the Lions probably came with the most serious squad and they won - then lost both pre-season games and their first 8 AFL games.

The other thing people aren't excited about is this year's format. I don't even think the AFL are excited about it. It will appeal because the AFL has finally got an Indigenous All Stars team, which the NRL have had for 20 years, although Aboriginal teams have played since 1973. The AFL have had several goes at trying to put an Indigenous rep team together, but nothing has been ongoing. However, unless there is serious money invested, why would clubs want their best players to play this dumb tournament that nobody will watch? Why would you want any of the teams to win.

Maybe if they made it a State of Origin concept people would pay more attention?

It's simple, really. Out of 18 teams, none took it seriously, each sending a B-team to compete for a worthless tournament. The Bulldogs sent a team of teenagers, while the Lions probably came with the most serious squad and they won - then lost both pre-season games and their first 8 AFL games.

The other thing people aren't excited about is this year's format. I don't even think the AFL are excited about it. It will appeal because the AFL has finally got an Indigenous All Stars team, which the NRL have had for 20 years, although Aboriginal teams have played since 1973. The AFL have had several goes at trying to put an Indigenous rep team together, but nothing has been ongoing. However, unless there is serious money invested, why would clubs want their best players to play this dumb tournament that nobody will watch? Why would you want any of the teams to win.

Maybe if they made it a State of Origin concept people would pay more attention?
You miss my point , AFLX is not for local market but international market that players like Mason Cox, Hanley no longer need one year to adapt to the ball and Game. Every year AFL recruiters go to US and Ireland to spot talents and run AFL combine , I rather watch US Vs Ireland in AFLX 20 m than just Yo Yo test , 20 m Sprit , vertical jump .

The same formula applied to soccer in US , it never meant to replace American football or basketball . Nobody watch soccer in US in the 70s and 80s compare to the current generation.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/15/the-growth-of-us-soccer-is-big-business.html

Last edited:
You miss my point , AFLX is not for local market but international market that players like Mason Cox, Hanley no longer need one year to adapt to the ball and Game. Every year AFL recruiters go to US and Ireland to spot talents and run AFL combine , I rather watch US Vs Ireland in AFLX 20 m than just Yo Yo test , 20 m Sprit , vertical jump .

The same formula applied to soccer in US , it never meant to replace American football or basketball . Nobody watch soccer in US in the 70s and 80s compare to the current generation.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/15/the-growth-of-us-soccer-is-big-business.html
In the mid 70s, Pele played soccer for the New York Cosmos and is widely credited with the revolution of the game in the US, bringing superstar players and getting crowds of 80K.

Pearce Hanley and Mason Cox took years to develop in the AFL and no amount of AFLX would have accelerated that.

If, as you say, the concept is for overseas players I have yet to see evidence of that happening and it certainly isn't what is planned for February.

In the mid 70s, Pele played soccer for the New York Cosmos and is widely credited with the revolution of the game in the US, bringing superstar players and getting crowds of 80K.

Pearce Hanley and Mason Cox took years to develop in the AFL and no amount of AFLX would have accelerated that.

If, as you say, the concept is for overseas players I have yet to see evidence of that happening and it certainly isn't what is planned for February.
It is just 20minute football , I don't know why people make it like you are force to watch 2 hour of AFL. If you don't like it spend your 20 min elsewhere . I don't mind watching Fyfe , Dangerfield play international rule /AFLX .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back