Prediction Best 22 R1 2019

Jun 17, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
My prediction is that next year will see many growing pains. We will win more than we did last year, but trying to get the team to gel is going to take a lot of lube...and at times, No Nails (Do you get that stuff in Aus?) Can guarantee there will be tears of both joy and sorrow, weeks of head scratching and bafflement at selections, as well as savage assaults regarding tactics. I'll let you guys pick the team. I reckon that other than Hanners & Kent, the team will be more or less the same (initially) as what it was with the "best" starting team at the beginning of last year.

Drake Huggins

Club Legend
May 2, 2018
The ghost of the G.G. Huggins Stand
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Stoke City, Southampton.
Raspberry jam. Sharpness cuts through the sweet of the toast.

Or, bare with me, Vegemite. Yes, vegemite on fruit toast is the killer punch.
That's an ancient and jealously guarded secret that has been revealed. Consider yourself expelled from the Secret Vegemite on Fruit Toast Eaters Society or SVOFTES.

majortinkle

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think we’re kidding ourselves if we think all these new forwards are going to make it, so the way I see it it will be Long, Lonie, Kent, Parker, Hind and Young fighting over 3-4 spots. Obviously Billings and Gresham just play if fit.

My way too early prediction is we’ll see something like this:

FB: Geary Brown McKenzie
HB: Webster Carlisle Roberton
C: Hannebery Steele Billings
HF: Kent Bruce Gresham
F: Membrey Paddy Long

R: Longer Steven Ross

Int: Parker, Hind, Savage, Sinclair

Paddy seems to get first crack at that last tall forward spot every year so can’t see that changing.

Longer will probably play ruck because Richo.

Hind’s blistering pace almost makes him a lock for such a super slow team. Wing and half back are full so wouldn’t surprise me to see him forward a lot of the time.
Acres for savage assuming we’re happy for hind to split time between hb and the wing

If we’re not (and Newnes was injured last year to explain his poor form) then he comes in for Sinclair too

Otherwise looks great and delivers on a lot of what was missing for us last year

SufferingS8INT

Club Legend
Dec 17, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'm warming to the idea of Gresh and Billings into the midfield. Our midfield is our main area of weakness and lack of depth (after the ruck). Thought I'd try to make up a 22, and chucked them on the wings:

B: Geary Austin Webster
HB: McKenzie Carlisle Roberton
C: Gresham Ross Billings
HF: Long Bruce Kent
F: Lonie Membrey Parker
R: Longer Hannebery Steven
I: Clark Acres Steele Marshall

Ended up putting Marshall in to be a backup ruckman just because I can't handle the though of Bruce in the ruck. Happy to trial and 3 of Paddy, Bruce, Membrey and Marshall as tall forwards. Also Battle although I think they may look at trialling him back a la Sicily from Hawthorn. Who knows.

The players that missed out and act as depth for this team are:
B: White, Rice, Clavarino, Brown, Savage, Coffield (m), Hind (m), Wilkie
M: Dunstan, Newnes (b), Paton, Phillips, Armo, Sinclair (f), Bytel
F: McCartin, Battle (b), King, Young
R: Pierce, Alabakis

The real headache for me when putting the team together is the make-up of the forward line and the ruck issue.

Threw Parker in the forward pocket as I'm his advocate now :)
This is a good team. Only thing is Gresham’s delivery by foot isn’t good enough for winger so my guess he’d be on the ball or resting deep forward.

SufferingS8INT

Club Legend
Dec 17, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
In round 1 , Bruce kicked 3 goals , something Paddy has only achieved once in his 35 games.
In round 2 and 3 Bruce kicked zero, and then one. The kind of score that Paddy often kicks.

Jack Watts syndrome. Start gifting games to players because we "think they should be good " and the players who weren't number one picks but are pretty damn handy will get their noses out of joint.
Must take into consideration both players had rubbish delivery every game. Both are just average but Bruce offers other attributes like leadership and forward pressure so IMO better option than Paddy.

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hey guys was wondering if you expect Steele to have more or less run-with roles next year?

IMO he’s just about your most important mid atm, as he’s a genuine first possession winner unlike Ross who is an accumulator or hanners/Stevens who are more damaging on the run.

Do you have anyone else to do the negating work?

luca77

Club Legend
Sep 5, 2010
Japan
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hey guys was wondering if you expect Steele to have more or less run-with roles next year?

IMO he’s just about your most important mid atm, as he’s a genuine first possession winner unlike Ross who is an accumulator or hanners/Stevens who are more damaging on the run.

Good question. Has Geary done it? With his running ability and commitment, don't see why he couldn't. Maybe too small against the bulls though. No Koby anymore so someone has to be tried in that role I think. Webster might be worth a look, but would miss his delivery.

Ekomaira

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 6, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda

Stevens retired my man

He plays his best games when running with someone and struggles when he doesn’t. Richo doesn’t like playing guys to their strengths so he probably won’t run with anyone next season. :thumbsu:

OxSaint

All Australian
Oct 7, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Ok round 1 team. Now this is keeping in mind that I think new coaches will bring significant change to who is in it and where they play. We also didn’t recruit 4 mature players for them all to play for sandy.

B. Geary brown Webster
HB. Roberton Carlisle Mckenzie
C. Ross Hanners Billings
HF. Membrey Bruce Kent
F. Parker McCartin Long
Fol. Pierce Steven Steele
Int. Gresham acres hind Clarke

Gresh, acres, Clarke, hind, Ross, Billings all spend time on ball, wing and forward. Long/ Kent also pinch hitting on all.

Another variation could be Webster on to a wing with Mckenzie taking his backline role and another hb flanker coming in or hind shuffling in. Other options would be coff, savage, white, Paton, Wilkie but then acres, Clarke or hind miss out.

Was hard to leave out the likes of

Sinclair - just couldn’t find a spot. Pushed out by Parker/hind for forward pressure and speed. Think he offers more then hunter but I think the club like hunter and will invest in him.

Battle- I think paddy will get first crack and battle hasn’t had that game where he consistently looks a threat.

Coffield- better options. Not convinced he likes hard gets, on the soft side so he is a while away from midfield.

Marshall - could do with his ruck relief and looks a threat in forward 50.

Young - edged out by Parker for know particular reason. Forward pressure would be welcome.

Savage - tried, tested and handy depth. Coffield in front of him as well.

What’s everyone’s thoughts? The tall forward mix will be the hardest to get right I think.

Madmax262

Rookie
Apr 15, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Given our current coaches unwillingness to change our style of play and loyalty to certain players I predict Round 1 will contain almost all existing players with one or two new faces.
So ....
B. McKenzie Brown Webster
HB. Roberton Carlisle Geary
C. Ross Hanners Billings
HF. Membrey Bruce Kent
F. Gresham McCartin Long
Fol. Longer Steven Steele
Int. Acres, Lonie, Newnes Clarke

What I think is of more interest is who will be in the Round 22. Hopefully with new assistant coaches changes will be made to enable a more effective game plan and the side will reflect this

B. McKenzie Brown Webster
HB. Roberton Carlisle Wilkie
C. Hind Hanners Billings
HF. Membrey Bruce Parker
F. Gresham McCartin Long
Int. Acres, Young , Ross , Kent
Emerg. Clarke, Coffield, Newnes, Lonie

Wilkie for Geary. He will add additional intercepting marking but also great decisions with ball in hand. He will provide an alternative outlet, minimize turnovers to set up forward forays. He also started as a forward is an accurate kick for goal so no need to move Carlisle forward if Cho needs to go to his plan B.o_O
Hind for Clarke will add pace and with long kicking has the potential to put defenders in two minds. We are crying out for electric pace, a player to take on the opposition and break lines. While I have some concerns with his kicking when he learns to slow down and balance prior to kicking it should improve.
Parker for Newnes has something about him. Height, pace, a long kick but also an accurate kick. He seems to be able to kick any distance with a high degree of accuracy. He will add forward pressure but also has weapons to inflict scoreboard damage both directly and indirectly setting up goals. I also think he has plenty of upside.
Young for Lonie because he, along with Long, will terrify defenders. Again blistering pace but hunts down opponents and has aggression - something we need and can snag a goal.
Pierce for Longer because I am not convinced Longer can contribute enough other than tap outs. I hope he proves me wrong!

McCartin hopefully will be realizing his potential otherwise King or Marshall will be in!

Clarke/Coffield/Newnes will be fighting others for a spot on the bench.

SufferingS8INT

Club Legend
Dec 17, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda

Dan Mackenzie has been training with the mids, I’m assuming for this sort of role.

D2D3

Club Legend
May 20, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Ok round 1 team. Now this is keeping in mind that I think new coaches will bring significant change to who is in it and where they play. We also didn’t recruit 4 mature players for them all to play for sandy.

B. Geary brown Webster
HB. Roberton Carlisle Mckenzie
C. Ross Hanners Billings
HF. Membrey Bruce Kent
F. Parker McCartin Long
Int. Gresham acres hind Clarke

Gresh, acres, Clarke, hind, Ross, Billings all spend time on ball, wing and forward. Long/ Kent also pinch hitting on all.

Another variation could be Webster on to a wing with Mckenzie taking his backline role and another hb flanker coming in or hind shuffling in. Other options would be coff, savage, white, Paton, Wilkie but then acres, Clarke or hind miss out.

Was hard to leave out the likes of

Sinclair - just couldn’t find a spot. Pushed out by Parker/hind for forward pressure and speed. Think he offers more then hunter but I think the club like hunter and will invest in him.

Battle- I think paddy will get first crack and battle hasn’t had that game where he consistently looks a threat.

Coffield- better options. Not convinced he likes hard gets, on the soft side so he is a while away from midfield.

Marshall - could do with his ruck relief and looks a threat in forward 50.

Young - edged out by Parker for know particular reason. Forward pressure would be welcome.

Savage - tried, tested and handy depth. Coffield in front of him as well.

What’s everyone’s thoughts? The tall forward mix will be the hardest to get right I think.

I mostly agree.

Exceptions are:

Lonie is the one you missed. I think given his end of year form I'd have him ahead of Parker, Hind and Kent at this stage. Probably edging out Hind in your line up.

I'm also unsure about Parker over Sinlair. Both offer something different to the team. It ultimately depends if we think Sinclair has got his touch back with his kicking or whether we want extra forward pressure. At this stage I still like Sinclair but I don't disagree about giving Parker a crack.

Rucks: not convinced Pierce is better than Longer round 1 but hope he gets there

Lastly McCartin, I think my thoughts right now are known, I'm sure he will get first crack, but I think both Marshall and Battle have shown more and provide more when the ball hits the ground at this stage, I'd have Marshall in first to relieve Bruce of ruck duties. Of course if Paddy plays some blinders in the preseason I'll happily change my tune but as of now if we play 3 marking targets I think Marshall holds his spot.

Honestly though I would consider starting with only Bruce and Membery. The more run we have the better imo.

So for me:

FB: Geary - Brown - Roberton
HB:Webster - Carlisle - McKenzie
CL: Ross - Hannebery - Gresham
HF: Billings - Membery - Kent
FF: Long - Bruce - Lonie
RR: Longer - Steele - Steven
Int: Acres - Parker - Sinclair
Clark

OxSaint

All Australian
Oct 7, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
I mostly agree.

Exceptions are:

Lonie is the one you missed. I think given his end of year form I'd have him ahead of Parker, Hind and Kent at this stage. Probably edging out Hind in your line up.

I'm also unsure about Parker over Sinlair. Both offer something different to the team. It ultimately depends if we think Sinclair has got his touch back with his kicking or whether we want extra forward pressure. At this stage I still like Sinclair but I don't disagree about giving Parker a crack.

Rucks: not convinced Pierce is better than Longer round 1 but hope he gets there

Lastly McCartin, I think my thoughts right now are known, I'm sure he will get first crack, but I think both Marshall and Battle have shown more and provide more when the ball hits the ground at this stage, I'd have Marshall in first to relieve Bruce of ruck duties. Of course if Paddy plays some blinders in the preseason I'll happily change my tune but as of now if we play 3 marking targets I think Marshall holds his spot.

Honestly though I would consider starting with only Bruce and Membery. The more run we have the better imo.

So for me:

FB: Geary - Brown - Roberton
HB:Webster - Carlisle - McKenzie
CL: Ross - Hannebery - Gresham
HF: Billings - Membery - Kent
FF: Long - Bruce - Lonie
RR: Longer - Steele - Steven
Int: Acres - Parker - Sinclair
Clark
Sinclair is more unlucky then anything in my line up. It’s more what I think might happen as opposed to what I would want. I like Sinclair’s poise and work rate but to put him in would be at the expense of Hunter or acres which would bother me he he was playing better footy. Sinclair as a forward hasn’t been productive enough and is not a manic pressure type to make up for that.

Lonie did finish well. I find his opponent intercept marks far to often which suggest opposition don’t see him as a threat. Certainly tries hard in the pressure stakes but is on the slow side.

In saying that it would be a surprise to see them in there. I just feel there will be a mix up in personnel after the year we had.

I agree with the two tall attack but who is a mystery and would need to find a hybrid that can get the ball to ground incase a tall goes down. Can acres do it? Do we play Wilkie type that could play tall if needed so Carlisle can fill the forward void.

Exciting times anyway. Speed will be a determining fact in some selection in my opinion.

Phoenix_9

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 12, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
St Kilda
Small Def: Geary, McKenzie
Key Def: Carlisle, Brown
Rebounding Def: Roberton, Webster, Savage
Inside Mids: Steele
Balanced Mids: Steven, Hannebery, Ross
Outside Mids: Sinclair
Fwd/Mids: Gresham, Billings
Ruck: Longer
Key Fwds: Bruce, McCartin
Med Fwds: Membrey
Small Fwds: Long, Lonie
Utility: Acres, Clark

FB: Geary - Brown - McKenzie
HB: Webster - Carlisle - Roberton
C: Sinclair - Hannebery - Ross
HF: Gresham - Bruce - Billings
FF: Long - McCartin - Membrey
R: Longer - Steele - Steven
I: Savage - Acres - Lonie - Clark

It’s probably a pretty boring best 22, but I think it’s most likely to win us a game. The state league players could easily come in, but right now they’re unknown to me, I’ll wait for NAB cup form.
Most of the rest of the list could be pushing for half a dozen spots easily. I hope that a few gems can emerge from the pack, because right now we have a lot of depth at a similar C grade level. We need some to push up and announce themselves. Imagine if we had a Tim Kelly situation with Parker or Hind.

mightymalaka

What we have here is a failure to communicate!
May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United

Tis indeed a good question!
Steele should just be allowed to develop as an inside mid, he shows
Plenty of promise! As Luca suggested Geary could be an option
And another one I would look at to perform the run with role is
Ross, in my view his best games at the Saints have been in that role
Eg against Dangerfield and Kelly. He doesn't get enough important ball ie
Contested ball or clearances to be our no 1 man in the middle, nor is he
Damaging enough with the pill...But in a run with he has shown good team discipline
And he most certainly has the tank!

FB Geary Brown Austin
HB Roberton Carlisle Webster

C Clark Steele Hannebery
R Marshall Ross Steven

HF Membrey McCartin Billings
FF Long Bruce Gresham

Int Coffield Acres McKenzie Phillips

MrGilmore

Debutant
Aug 28, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
I still think we can fit Bruce McCartin battle and Membrey in the one team. Adelaide played with 4 talls in 2017 to a high degree of success.

I see Battle playing that high half forward link up role that Tom Lynch plays for the crows. He has the tank for it.

Battle, Bruce and Membrey aren’t a liability when the ball hits the deck so it could work. Especially with some real speed from our pressure forwards long/Parker/Kent/Lonie etc

And with the 6 6 6 rule, I see having tall marking forwards being a huge asset next season.

Obviously if Marshall/king are banging down the door, this system can still work with the removal of Bruce or mattress guts

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

SufferingS8INT

Club Legend
Dec 17, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
I still think we can fit Bruce McCartin battle and Membrey in the one team. Adelaide played with 4 talls in 2017 to a high degree of success.

I see Battle playing that high half forward link up role that Tom Lynch plays for the crows. He has the tank for it.

Battle, Bruce and Membrey aren’t a liability when the ball hits the deck so it could work. Especially with some real speed from our pressure forwards long/Parker/Kent/Lonie etc

And with the 6 6 6 rule, I see having tall marking forwards being a huge asset next season.

Obviously if Marshall/king are banging down the door, this system can still work with the removal of Bruce or mattress guts

I am a big advocate for this and believe it would be playing to our list strengths however would choose Marshall over mattress so then Longer can rest forward. Paddy needs to show his worth.

SufferingS8INT

Club Legend
Dec 17, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda

I am a big advocate for this and believe it would be playing to our list strengths however would choose Marshall over mattress so then Longer can rest forward. Paddy needs to show his worth.

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
I feel the team will be very hard to judge who will be in our best 22.
It will all come down to the preseason games/ I see a lot of the teams don't have Battle , Paton , Kent , White in the 22 any of these guys could be in the team - Battle , White , Paton have all presented in great shape to start the preseason - for instance Brown is unable to play the first couple games because he was scrubbed out due to the report so this opens a spot for Austin , Clavarino - however they will have to be playing good because Brown is looking in better shape he has every been in.
Hunter and Coffield if they show steady improvement they could also be fixtures in our best team.

Geary - Brown - Roberton
McKenzie - Carlisle - Webster
Sinclair - Steele - Hannebery
Billings - Bruce - Coffield
Gresham - McCartin - Membery

Longer / Ross / Steven

Acres - Hunter - Long - Marshall

Battle / Paton / Phillips / Newnes / White / Austin

The Boar

Premium Gold
Sep 17, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Team I expect at the start of the year:

B: Geary, Austin, Webster
HB: Roberton, Carlisle, McKenzie
C: Hannebery, Steven, Clark
HF: Gresham, Membrey, Billings
F: Long, Bruce, McCartin
FOLL: Longer, Ross, Steele
I/C: Acres, Newnes, Kent, Sinclair

Team I'd like to see developed by late 2019 (but won't happen):

B: Coffield, Austin, White
HB: Clavarino, Carlisle, Webster
C: Hannebery, Steven, Battle
HF: Gresham, Membrey, Parker
F: Long, Bruce, McCartin
FOLL: Longer, Ross, Steele
I/C: Acres, Roberton, Clark, Billings.

Special roles:
Roberton- wing, bench, third back rotation with Battle and Clavarino (Clav not to play wing).
Billings- mid, forward, bench rotation with Gresh.

Pushing for Spots:
Marshall- ruck position only, needs to learn this.
Pierce- ruck.
Geary- small back (choice of White/Geary/Rice).
King- key forward. No 2019 expectations.
Sinclair- in form wingman.
Newnes- in form wingman.
Kent- forward/mid.
McKenzie- running back (choice of Coffield/McK).
Bytel- in form mid only.
Dunstan- as above.

This shows we've good depth (except in the Ruck). The players need to pick themselves with their own effort and form.

Backs- strongest line.
Forwards- strong depth, poor output.
Mids- okay depth, poor output.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Longer resting forward? We might as well get a cardboard cutout of Plugger and stick it in the goal square cause it’s more likely to get a touch. Heck we’d probably be better off if we put McCartin in the ruck.

2019 is the year that the Paddy Wagon gets up and cranking. And as the official conductor of aforementioned Paddy Wagon, I need to remind you that seats are limited and in short supply. You don’t want to make the list.

May 6, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Longer resting forward? We might as well get a cardboard cutout of Plugger and stick it in the goal square cause it’s more likely to get a touch. Heck we’d probably be better off if we put McCartin in the ruck.

2019 is the year that the Paddy Wagon gets up and cranking. And as the official conductor of aforementioned Paddy Wagon, I need to remind you that seats are limited and in short supply. You don’t want to make the list.

I hope that paddy wagon has plenty of headroom.

Actually- you'd better make it a convertible

Back