Fourth Test team

Remove this Banner Ad

Since we most likely will be going into a 5th day and weren't comprehensively flogged, I wouldn't change the team for the second test.
Would be happy with mixing up the order a bit however.
Ussie and Harris to open.
Marsh at 3
Handscomb
Head
Finch
Paine etc etc

If that goes poorly i'd be looking to bringing Renshaw straight in to open with Harris (who deserves a go for the entire series based off his promising yet albeit underwhelming start). Replace Finch or Marsh or both and bring Matty Wade back in tear strips off the Indians verbally and hopefully get back to his early test career form.

Since we most likely will be going into a 5th day and weren't comprehensively flogged, I wouldn't change the team for the second test.
Would be happy with mixing up the order a bit however.
Ussie and Harris to open.
Marsh at 3
Handscomb
Head
Finch
Paine etc etc

If that goes poorly i'd be looking to bringing Renshaw straight in to open with Harris (who deserves a go for the entire series based off his promising yet albeit underwhelming start). Replace Finch or Marsh or both and bring Matty Wade back in tear strips off the Indians verbally and hopefully get back to his early test career form.
Big fan of Renshaw but he has been putrid in shield cricket this season averaging 19. He’s played every game for QLD this season and has had every opportunity to win his spot back. Unfortunately he hasn’t been up to it.

interesting to see the WA curator talking up how he's under no direction to make the pitch last 5 days, and is expecting a green pitch with the ball to swing, seam and bounce like a WACA pitch of old. troubling for our batsmen, if true.
But good for our bowlers. India’s batsmen haven’t put us to the sword, Pujara aside, it’s our batting that hasn’t been up to it.

Joe Burns is an interesting player

14 tests, made three tons, averages 36. First class average of 40.

Just never been a favoured son. Always seen as a bits and pieces player who plugs a gap until someone we like better is fit or in form.
100%. Plugged a gap during the sandpaper thing and then basically disappears. Definitely didn't disgrace himself either during that SA test.
Will only ever be seen as an honest toiler at test level it seems.

Can't believe people are calling for Marsh to be dropped. Was arguably the best Australia player in the month before the test. He is currently 30n.o in a team where only one player has gone past 50.

The next test is in Perth, his home ground, where he recently scored 80 runs.

Can't believe people are calling for Marsh to be dropped. Was arguably the best Australia player in the month before the test. He is currently 30n.o in a team where only one player has gone past 50.

Yeah it’s absolutely shocking that people want to get rid of a guy that is in the worst run of form seen from an Australian batsman since the 18th century. Truly shocking stuff.

He literally just ended the longest run of below ten scores of a top six bat for Aus since 1888. Fair enough if he saves this match, but acting like it's inconceivable his spot would be in question is silly.

He literally just ended the longest run of below ten scores of a top six bat for Aus since 1888. Fair enough if he saves this match, but acting like it's inconceivable his spot would be in question is silly.
The top 6 is one of the poorest in modern Australian history.

His form isn't as bad as those isolated innings suggest in comparison to the rest of the Australian batsman. You have nt included his international one day hundreds, his state hundreds. Not sure how you would argue dropping Marsh ahead of Finch.

The last 20 innings, Marsh has 4 scores above 50, two of those being 100s. Compare that to handscomb.
Compare Marsh average when he reaches double figures to any Australian batsman.

The reality is Marsh is coming to the end of his career and won't be remembered in the same league as Waugh, Border or Ponting. However there is no way you would drop him ahead of the Perth test.

His form isn't as bad as those isolated innings suggest in comparison to the rest of the Australian batsman. You have nt included his international one day hundreds, his state hundreds. Not sure how you would argue dropping Marsh ahead of Finch.

The last 20 innings, Marsh has 4 scores above 50, two of those being 100s. Compare that to handscomb.

The reality is Marsh is coming to the end of his career and won't be remembered in the same league as Waugh, Border or Ponting. However there is no way you would drop him ahead of the Perth test.
Unsure why you’re bringing up Marsh’s domestic form. Nobody is doubting his credentials at that level. His problem is that he’s a very good domestic player while being poor in the test arena. Last time I checked his 163 he scored against south australia counts for zero against India.

Handscombe has only had 20 odd innings at test level in his career and has a much better record than Marsh in that same time.

At 35 he has no future in the test side, and what he offers right now with the bat is next to nothing. It’s time to thank him for his service to Australian cricket and move him on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unsure why you’re bringing up Marsh’s domestic form. Nobody is doubting his credentials at that level. His problem is that he’s a very good domestic player while being poor in the test arena. Last time I checked his 163 he scored against south australia counts for zero against India.

Handscombe has only had 20 odd innings at test level in his career and has a much better record than Marsh in that same time.

At 35 he has no future in the test side, and what he offers right now with the bat is next to nothing. It’s time to thank him for his service to Australian cricket and move him on.
Marsh's had scored more runs than Handcombes has at the same stage of his career. Marsh's test matches didn't include games against Bangladesh and a weak Pakistani side. It's debatable who is the better player, however agree that hansdcomb has youth on his side.
In any event, effectively ending a popular players test career ahead of their home test would be extremely harsh.
I would love for someone to put their money where their mouth is and suggest otherwise.

Marsh's had scored more runs than Handcombes has at the same stage of his career. Marsh's test matches didn't include games against Bangladesh and a weak Pakistani side. It's debatable who is the better player, however agree that hansdcomb has youth on his side.
In any event, effectively ending a popular players test career ahead of their home test would be extremely harsh.
I would love for someone to put their money where their mouth is and suggest otherwise.
Whatever Marsh scored at the same time as what Handscomb has in his career to date is irrelevant when considering Marsh became the first Australian batsman since 1888 to score 6 consecutive single figure scores. At 35 you don’t get to lean on what you did in the past. It’s all about what you produce in the present.

He shouldn’t be dropped because his home test is the next scheduled fixture? You’re making him sound like a charity case. A test average of 35 and a career of being in and out of the side doesn’t earn you the right for a home test send off.

And i’d argue Shaun Marsh is the least most popular player in the current side. You just have to look at social media to see that.

Whatever Marsh scored at the same time as what Handscomb has in his career to date is irrelevant when considering Marsh became the first Australian batsman since 1888 to score 6 consecutive single figure scores. At 35 you don’t get to lean on what you did in the past. It’s all about what you produce in the present.

He shouldn’t be dropped because his home test is the next scheduled fixture? You’re making him sound like a charity case. A test average of 35 and a career of being in and out of the side doesn’t earn you the right for a home test send off.

And i’d argue Shaun Marsh is the least most popular player in the current side. You just have to look at social media to see that.
You are the one who raised Marsh's start to his career, I was simply pointing out that he had scored just as many runs as Handscomb and therefore I don't understand your basis for thinking handscomb was a better player at the same stage. But I agree that is irrelevant now.

Everything I have heard is Marsh is popular with his team mates.
He shouldn't be dropped for the Perth test because his average in Perth is better than handscomb and Finch. He has also averaged more than Finch and handscomb at international level so far this summer.

I will quite happily take any bet with cricket nuffies on social media who think he won't play in Perth.

Which is more runs than he has made for the whole year at test level!

You are the one who raised Marsh's start to his career, I was simply pointing out that he had scored just as many runs as Handscomb and therefore I don't understand your basis for thinking handscomb was a better player at the same stage. But I agree that is irrelevant now.

He shouldn't be dropped for the Perth test because his average in Perth is better than handscomb and Finch. He has also averaged more than Finch and handscomb at international level so far this summer.

I will quite happily take any bet with cricket nuffies on social media who think he won't play in Perth.
I did not bring up Marsh’s start. You brought up Marsh’s last 20 innings and I simply stated that Handscomb’s career is barely 20 innings old, and as it stands it’s been a better run of form than what Marsh has produced in the same time.

How can Marsh’s average in Perth be better than anyone’s when this is the first test being played at the new stadium?

I’m not saying he won’t be selected next test. That’s quite evident from the squad that has been chosen for the first two tests. Though he certainly does not deserve another match for Australia.

This season Marsh averages 9.40 at test level, Finch 32, Handscomb 24

I did not bring up Marsh’s start. You brought up Marsh’s last 20 innings and I simply stated that Handscomb’s career is barely 20 innings old, and as it stands it’s been a better run of form than what Marsh has produced in the same time.

How can Marsh’s average in Perth be better than anyone’s when this is the first test being played at the new stadium?

I’m not saying he won’t be selected next test. That’s quite evident from the squad that has been chosen for the first two tests. Though he certainly does not deserve another match for Australia.
As I have said previously Marsh has scored more 50s and hundreds than hamscomb in the last 20 innings. He has recently struggled to make starts at test level, however has scored runs domestically and at ODI level. He averages more than handscomb where you exclude innings he has scored less than 10. He also has a better average batting at 5.

Marsh lives in Perth and there was cricket played at the WACA ground prior to the new Stadium. He has also played and scored runs on the same drop in wicket at the new Stadium.
There is not much difference between Marsh and Hanscomb, but its hard to argue Finch deserves a spot ahead of him.

As I have said previously Marsh has scored more 50s and hundreds than hamscomb in the last 20 innings. He has recently struggled to make starts at test level, however has scored runs domestically and at ODI level. He averages more than handscomb where you exclude innings he has scored less than 10. He also has a better average batting at 5.

Marsh lives in Perth and there was cricket played at the WACA ground prior to the new Stadium. He has also played and scored runs on the same drop in wicket at the new Stadium.
There is not much difference between Marsh and Hanscomb, but its hard to argue Finch deserves a spot ahead of him.
Incorrect. Handscomb before this test: 2 centuries, 4 fifties. Marsh before this test in the same amount of innings: 2 centuries, 3 fifties.

I think those other stats compound the problem more than anything. He is clearly talented enough, but cracks under the pressure of a Test.

The fact he averages 59 after reaching 10 but his career average is only 35 actually makes him look even worse. Would much rather a player who can consistently score 40 to 60 than a player who is more likely to score a duck than a 50.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back