FFC + BBFC = BBFFC

All Australian
Jun 29, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Wolverhampton Wanderers
Im talking about the players that hold our side together, the ones who are very sorely missed when they're absent through injury/suspension.

1. J.Brown
2. S.Black
3. D. Merrett
4. D.Bradshaw
5. J. Charman
6. L.Power
7. J. Patful
8. J.Adcock
9. J.Drummond
10. Notting/Brennan/TJ?

What do we think of the list?
criticism encouraged.

Mine in order

1. Brown/Bradshaw
2. Bradshaw/Brown (Without one of these 2, we are really restricted in attack)
3. Merrett
4. Charman
5. Black
6. Riska
7. Drummond
8. Patfull
9. Power
10. JMac

dyl_tigerman

All Australian
Veteran Richmond Tigers - Mark Coughlan 2009 Player Sponsor
Jun 21, 2008
the Great Southern Stand
AFL Club
Richmond
1. Brown
2. Bradshaw
3. Adcock
4. Black
5. Patful
6. Jmac
7. Drummond
8. Rischettelli
9. Merrett
10. Brennan
a few that could be moved around and changes pretty good team

lion4ever

Team Captain
Jul 7, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
1. Brown
2. Bradshaw
3. Black
4. Patful
5. Rischittelli
6. Merrett
7. Jmac
8. Adcock
9. Drummond
10. TJ

I put Rischitelli quite high because i watched Brisbane vs Bulldogs a couple of weeks ago, and since he wasnt out there, our midfield failed to apply enough pressure. TJ is doing a nice job around the ground and up forward at the moment. :thumbsu:

triplemac

Debutant
Jul 2, 2008
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
1. J.Brown
2. S.Black
3. D. Merrett
4. D.Bradshaw
5. J. Charman
6. L.Power
7. J. Patful
8. J.Adcock
9. J.Drummond
10. Hooper

mish33

Team Captain
Feb 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
1. Brown
2. Bradshaw
3. Merrett
4. Patfull
5. Black
6. Drummo
7. Power
8. Clark/Leuey
9. TJ
10. JMac/Corrie

No surprise that my top 5 is the spine of our team.

I think our second ruck is more important to our side than Charmo atm. Charmo at best is really a nullifier and needs support. Both Clark and Leuey have that impact that most AFL second rucks don't.

I think Drummo is key to our side. But more important is our ability tactically to free him up for the rebound. I think teams are starting to switch on to him and he's played some much tighter roles in the last few weeks, with some success (some god awful failure too).

Couldn't split JMac or Nuxy. JMac is our leading rebounder and his downer against the Dees really effected the result, but Nuxy is one of our key, accurate kicking, forward 50 enterers, and as seen on Sunday, our forwards are impotent without good feed.

Ray Button

All Australian
Oct 15, 2007
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
1. S. Black - workload compensates for the shortcomings of other midfielders
2. D. Merrett - anchors our defence
3. L. Power - energiser bunny who plugs a lot of holes all over the field
4. J. Brown - straightens up the whole team
5. D. Bradshaw - balances the forward line & takes pressure off Brown
6. N. Lappin - we miss you Nige!
7. J. Patful - versatile defender who plays above his weight
8. J.Adcock - guts and determination; we need him uninjured
9. J.Drummond - main drive out of defence
10. M. Clark - versatile utility: ruck / forward / defender

Major omission in my list is Charman - he should be there but this year just isn't contributing at the required level, probably due to carrying injuries

Ray Button

All Australian
Oct 15, 2007
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Thinking about it a bit more, I'm sorry I didn't try to squeeze Troy Selwood in there somewhere. In my estimation, he oscillates from top-10 to marginal-22, but in reality he does a job that no-one else in the team is doing well. Apparently, the powers-that-be think he is important to the team balance since they continue to pick him.

Old Den

Premiership Player
Dec 18, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
1. Brown
2. Black
3. Merrett
4. Bradshaw
5. Patfull
6. Adcock
7. Power
8. Drummond
9. Brennan
10. TJ/Charman

Unlucky omissions - Notting,Macdonald,Corrie,

Charman not playing near his recent best but still very important against
the big solid ruckmen

I hope that TJ can work his way up the order - will be a very good thing for the club if he does

Tim the Toolman

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Beaconsfield Super Rules
Thinking about it a bit more, I'm sorry I didn't try to squeeze Troy Selwood in there somewhere...

God if he's in our top ten than it's a wonder we're in the top 8 at all!

For mine:

1. Simon Black - what he does beggars belief some times. He's the gaffer tape of the mighty Lions.
2. Jonothan Brown - how can you go past him but alas only Simon Black could!
3. Luke Power - he has kept us together and been the difference between some losses and some BIG losses!
4. Nigel Lappin - when firing
5. Daniel Merrett - the big red shuts down the hardest of full forwards
6. Daniel Bradshaw - a mighty foil for Browny but can be down as much as up and his stellar start to the season, if continued, would rate him higher here.
7. Joel Patfull - his efforts this season have not surprised any pundits here.
8. Josh Drummond - needs to kick out more effective ala last season and is missed when injured.
9. Jamie Charman - when on song, not fired up and giving away free kicks would also rate higher.
10. Jed Adcock - will be a stalwart of the backline ala Chris Johnson, Lethal's favourite

Apologies to:

Travis Johnstone - give us more than a year's work son before we look at ya
Leuey - ditto
Brennan - give us more than two games in a row where we can see your workload
McGrath / Corrie / Hooper - learn to tackle consistently
JMac - would've loved to put you in this, I really would, and I reckon the way you're going you'll be in the Lions Top 10 by years end. :thumbsu:

FFB1

Premiership Player
Feb 25, 2007
Melbourne Vic
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Boronia Hawks
1. Merrett
2. Drummond

Kicking more goals than the opposition in most cases wins games (I'm sure we've won at least 1 game this season kicking less goals than the opposition - CONVERSION! If you dont have the structure down back it doesnt matter how many goals you kick, you need to contain the opposition. Just look at the Carlton backline rabble over the past few seasons.

3. Brown

Speaks for himself, although I mark him down as #3 based on Bradshaw joining him down there. Whilst I mention it, this is not based on our good effort down at Geelong less #16.

4. Patfull

I dont know any other AFL player (or rather, none comes to mind immediately) who has the ability to take both short, medium and tall forwards.

5. Black

The real extractor of the competition. Ample backup from Adcock, Rischa and Power. Granted, our chances of winning contested posessions are minimised without him, but we do have backups.

6. Charman

Disappointing this season IMO. I dont know if he's been carrying an injury or the fact he's played 80% of games in the ruck is taking its toll but we rely on him to get our midfielders first use of the ball. Could have him anywhere from 1 through 5 to be honest. If he is in ordinary form, it shows.

7. Johnstone

Underrated from many Lions and non-Lions fans (especially Melb supporters who call him lazy but inside wish he was still a Dee). His ability to find a leading player and hit them (most of the time) laces out is level with Drummon. Was sorely missed in the Melbourne game.

8. Bradshaw

Same reason as Brown.

9. Adcock

Is down on form at the moment and you can tell its having an impact on the team. A key player and future captain, we need him firing.

10. Power

Nobody else can kick no look left foot checksides and hit targets, breaking the game open. A pity the rest of the side cant do it - in fact the kicking efficiency we've shown of late i wouldnt be surprised if its cos they are all trying to copy him.

My 2 cents worth - I am sure there will be some who disagree but eh.

I did an Inside Football style list in the pre-season. It only included players who had played prior to this year. Using the same players (not much point including debutants from this year), I'll adjust the ratings, with their previous ratings in brackets.

1. Brown (1) - Still the key to turning us into a premiership force
2. Black (2) - Best inside mid in the comp
3. Power (8) - Is our 2nd best inside mid and our best outside mid. I rated him way too low.
4. Merrett (4) - Still virtually irreplaceable
5. Bradshaw (6) - His inclusion makes us play more direct footy.
6. Drummond (7) - As a good user, he stands out in a side with generally poor skills
7. Patfull (11) - A big mover.
8. Charman (3) - Should be way higher but simply isn't contributing to his capability.
9. Johnstone (12) - If he's on the park more, he might move higher.
10. Clark (21) - If charman moves up, Clark will move down. Right now though, he is effectively our second string ruck and CHB as well as our first alternative key forward. Has to be top 10.

11. Corrie (25) - Gone from a fringe player to the top dozen, due to his skill, defensive pressure and scoring ability
12. Adcock (9) - Injured? Not sure of his role? Should be a little higher.
13. MacDonald (17) - Moves up slightly. Form has evened out a little.
14. Brennan (15) - Still the x-factor that the side misses. behind TJ and Jed in the onballer rankings though.
15. Notting (10) - Form has been a little disappointing compared to 06/07. Will be a shame if he plays his best footy in our worst years.
16. Hooper (13) - Needs to hurt the other way. Still best 18 though.
17. Rischitelli (22) - Has probably shown that he's the best of the rest as far as mids go. May never be anything more than an honest trier.
18. Sherman (16) - Has dropped a little as this year's form has not equalled his best form, although is substantially better than last year. I may have overrated him in the pre-season.
19. McGrath (26) - Back in the best 22 where he should be.
20. Selwood (24) - Could be ranked higher given the important role he plays in some games. Not consistent enough though.

21. Leuenberger (18) - As the 3rd ruck, he is still very important although not making the top side hurts his rating.
22. Harding (29) - Gets a run in the seniors so has to be higher than others.
23. Copeland (20) - Best of the rest now.
24. Stiller (19) - Has gone backwards.
25. Proud (31) - Jumped a few in the queue.
26. Mills (23) - Unsighted.
27. Schmidt (32) - Unsighted.

Injured:

Lappin (5) - Easily top 10 if he can return.
Roe (14) - His role is being covered in some respects but still offers plenty of flexibility in the back half.
McDonald (27) - Retired
Begley (28) - No place for him in the best 22 that I can see.
Moody (30) - Has to make an impact.

konstas_87

Premiership Player
Sep 11, 2003
Watching Browny
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Im surprised how low so many of you have put Blacky (4th or 5th), id go pretty dang close to putting him at number 1.

1. Browny
2. Blacky
3. Power
4. Bradshaw
5. Merrett
6. Patfull
7. Drummond
8. Macdonald
9. Mcgrath
10. Adcock

notes:
*i decided to omit Charman for Mcgrath, simply because charman hasn't had a very strong year
*adcock is low because he hasnt had a great year
*half of those players make up our back 6
*i didnt include any1 not playing atm (e.g. nige)

awesome_assassin

Team Captain
Jun 24, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Cricket, Rugby Leauge
1. Brown
2. Black
3. Power
4. Patfull
5. Merett
6. J-Mac
7. Bradshaw
8. Drummond
9. Charman/ The Berger
10. Clark/ Ash Mc Grath

I couldn't even find room for Travis in there:eek:
The top 3 speak for themselves, and i think most of our back 6( i picked 4 should be there)

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Bump-

1) Harris Andrews- Elite KPD, can lock down and intercept to a high level.
2) Eric Hipwood- Continued upward trend would be huge for us.
3) Charlie Cameron- Exceptional pace/pressure in the F50 is an obvious need.
4) Dayne Zorko- One of the top mids in the competition.
5) Lachie Neale- Elite inside mid, frees up other players and takes heat of Jarrod Berry.
6) Darcy Gardiner- Plays on all types, great for our match ups.
7) Hugh McCluggage- Balanced mid, silky player who makes time stand still.
8) Jarrod Berry- Grunt, spread from the contest and has a presence.
9) Tom Cutler- Run and carry between the 50 arcs.
10) Alex Witherden- Provides an escape from the D50 with elite distribution.

If 1 or 2 of Zac Bailey, Cedric Cox, Jacob Allison, Allen Christensen can provide our much needed run and carry out of D50 it would also be a massive positive.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Bump-

1) Harris Andrews- Elite KPD, can lock down and intercept to a high level.
2) Eric Hipwood- Continued upward trend would be huge for us.
3) Charlie Cameron- Exceptional pace/pressure in the F50 is an obvious need.
4) Dayne Zorko- One of the top mids in the competition.
5) Lachie Neale- Elite inside mid, frees up other players and takes heat of Jarrod Berry.
6) Darcy Gardiner- Plays on all types, great for our match ups.
7) Hugh McCluggage- Balanced mid, silky player who makes time stand still.
8) Jarrod Berry- Grunt, spread from the contest and has a presence.
9) Tom Cutler- Run and carry between the 50 arcs.
10) Alex Witherden- Provides an escape from the D50 with elite distribution.

If 1 or 2 of Zac Bailey, Cedric Cox, Jacob Allison, Allen Christensen can provide our much needed run and carry out of D50 it would also be a massive positive.
Don't think Andrews should be that high. We lost him for 7 gmaes or so last season and won 3 games in a row. Berry should be higher, was noticable when he wasn't there and we couldn't win the hard ball.

StevoJenkins

The Weekend Worker
Sep 4, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
AFL
Why?
He will be an extremely important member of the team next year!
Which is the exact reason why he was brought onboard.

He could easily get injured and spend the year off like Cameron did. He might not live up to expectations either. We don’t know how he’s going to go until he’s on the field.

I’m not saying he isn’t going to be in the top ten, or do well, but saying he is without seeing him play with us seems like boarding the hype train to me at this stage.

He could easily get injured and spend the year off like Cameron did. He might not live up to expectations either. We don’t know how he’s going to go until he’s on the field.

I’m not saying he isn’t going to be in the top ten, or do well, but saying he is without seeing him play with us seems like boarding the hype train to me at this stage.
It’s not about hype!
It’s about who we, as supporters think will help the club move up the ladder.
And without doubt, that is why the club brought him in, as with Charlie Cameron last year.

Neale is a top 10 player in the comp, let alone the Brisbane Lions. It's a bit different if someone said Lincoln McCarthy would be top 10, but Neale is absolutely a top 10 player at our club.

Back