Prediction Pick your 3 for 2019 (with free 2014 gift thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

My three
1 Weitering I think he will show this year the level of performance we thought was possible after year one and develop into our standout tall defender
2 Mckay He will beefit from the more open forward line and kick more than 40 goals
3 Dow Was outstanding in year one and with the extra size he has added in the off season will be quickly pushing to be our second best midfielder.
The 2014 edition made for great reading, Yes i know we have 20/20 hindsight but someone describing Tom Bell as a Kouta/Judd hybrid that was just a tad optimistic.

My 3 would have to be
Willow. Such a promising debut season, coming from nowhere, will be interesting where he is now at.
Weitering. The big question mark, 50% of people are starting to question his performances the other 50% are convinced he is going to be a superstar, I hope he remains injury free and gives us the answer.
TDK, I was surprised we picked him so low, showed some signs late in the season, hoping he is the ruck foward we are looking for but my be a year early on the call.
Number 4 McGovern crashing packs, one grab marks could be anything, expecting fevola like performances when foward and jazza McGovern performances when back.

1. Fisher: my fave current player. He is special and will soon be a genuine game breaking star.

2. Marchbank: intercept marking is a key component of modern football and Marchbank has the potential to be a very good one if he can get his body right. He is at the age where it is time to deliver on his promise.

3. McKay: I think he has as much potential as Charlie to impact games. He could be an absolute star with more experience and physicality. I'm genuinely excited to watch him evolve.

4. Cuningham: I am a fan and think he has some wonderful, AFL qualities including burst pace and smart ball use..just needs more continuity and consistency

My three
1 Weitering I think he will show this year the level of performance we thought was possible after year one and develop into our standout tall defender
2 Mckay He will beefit from the more open forward line and kick more than 40 goals
3 Dow Was outstanding in year one and with the extra size he has added in the off season will be quickly pushing to be our second best midfielder.
The 2014 edition made for great reading, Yes i know we have 20/20 hindsight but someone describing Tom Bell as a Kouta/Judd hybrid that was just a tad optimistic.
That mighta been me..:thumbsu:

1 - Weitering - with support back around him I want to see him become a boss and justify that pick 1. We saw what he can do that day in the VFL. Want to see him just strut out there like he runs the show. Time to step up weiter.

2 - setterfield - I've heard the wraps on him. I want to see it for myself. Would be massive if he turned into a bonafide star in our midfield.

3 - Williamson - showed glimpses in his first year. Nearly all on here rate him. I think he is going to be an absolute gem who can play anywhere. Can't wait to see him back out there,

Extras-
Doc- our skipper back. Lets hope he can get back to that AA form and be a general down back we have been missing.

Walsh- want to see a Carlton player win the rising star. Hope this kid or setterfield can do it.

McKay - Want to see more agro

Fisher - Was tracking brilliantly pre injury

Doc - Because I miss him

Also will be watching Cripps because its too hard not to.

Hard to miss a guy in the midfield stoppages that's taller than the bloody ruckmen!

You didn't want it - now here it is.

Give us the 3 players you will be closely watching or hoping the best for in 2019 and why. Call it breakout, realized potential, turned the corner, baby jet, last piece of the puzzle, whatever you like. Mine go something like this:

1. Murphy - never his biggest fan but quietly think this could be his best year since 2010 causing mayhem up forward.
2. Willo - if he's back (hee hee) in business he may just be back in business - the left boot, the agro, the dash.
3. Dow - this bloke.......

**** it I need a 4th.......

4. Crazy Harry Macreadie - long, lean, footy machine - looks like an unmade bed but goes good.

So give us 4.

Added bonus - here's the 2014 thread by the same name. Look at your embarrassingly puny efforts.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/pick-your-3-for-2014.1048477/
Good thread mate.

1. Paddy Dow - Had a s**t pre-season last year after the end of his 2017 season was wiped out by shoulder surgery. Despite having no tank he played some huge first quarters last year, often among our leading stat winners at 1/4 time before fading out. I don't expect the finished product in 2019 but after a full season in 2018 and a big pre-season I expect him to play at his best for a lot longer. Should be quite a damaging player next year.

2. Charlie Curnow - It's gonna happen some time, but we could always help him out by getting he ball in his hands more. Dead last for inside 50s in 2018, again I don't expect our midfield to be the finished product in 2019 but they can only really go sideways or up. Another 4-5 kicks inside 50 to this guy each game should equal another 1-2 shots at goal at least. He's physically ready and now has enough experience to tear most defenders apart, just put the ball in his area and let him do the rest.

3. Sam Petrevski-Seton - Two pre-seasons hindered by quad injuries has meant he just can't stay in games long enough but he's our most damaging player with the ball. Despite his injuries he's managed to play 42 games so he's done a fair apprenticeship already and should be used to AFL tempo and physicality now. Needs to get real ******* fit so he can play high HF/midfield for us all year and go from damaging teams 15 times a game to damaging them with 20-22 possessions a game. Once again, some more supply from a midfield that can win more ball will also contribute to this.

1. Newman - Think he'll play more games then not in 2019...

2. Bugg - Was against the idea of picking him up initially, but if he can fix his kicking for goal, could be a really good pick up...

3. Murphy - Hoping stepping down as captain refreshes him and he reminds everyone how good he can be...

Bonus - Doc... Words can't express how much we've missed him, but the scoreboard sure did.

Kennedy- with a good preseason can help Cripps with clearance and will so everyone he's a gun.

SPS- IMO has been good the last 2 years off the back of no preseason and with a good preseason will be a superstar in 2019. All class.

JSOS- is the player I want so bad to succeed and if he can improve his tank/endurance over the preseason could become the ultimate utility. Not just playing both forward/back but through the midfield as well and with his skills and great footy brain will become a critical part to our success

My 4th is Shocker because after watch the footage from our team from draft night on AFL.com I've never seen a group so happy picking a player and I want to see why.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My injury trio

Doc ... because I love him and makes those around him better defenders.

Willo ... could be anything. Love his aggression.

Setterfield ... might have more upside than anyone on our list.

Bonus non-injured

Big H and Dow. Look out world.

well it really is phase 2!

we have gone to the well and its time to get the water on the stove and get cooking! (if i may wade into dangerous analogy territory and go near the second worst membership drive slogan ever behind Essendon's 2014 "whatever it takes")

we were full rubbish last year. totally uncompetitive against battlers like Freo, so suggest we can crack the 8 if everything goes to plan is a BIG call.

this is the year that boys become men, (or not). Carlton is at the cross roads that St kilda has just taken a wrong turn to shitesville. Will all these talented boys become the players we hope for? SOS has gathered a big bunch of talent, staggered the tall's first and the smalls later ready to blossom in one almighty flogging of bitchmond in round 1?

edit so what! is it the year of the tiger or something in china, the Chinese government seem to have hacked Bigfooty and are playing silly buggers with B I T C H mond!

i can find 11 talented kids that could go bang

Mckay
Pickett
Cuningham
Wieters
Macreadie
Kennedy
Setterfield
Willow
SPS
marchie
Garlett

these guys will be make or break our next cup!

my 4

McKay 2019 BOOM!

Kennedy

SPS, a fit SPS

and this is a big call, but i think we got our man, pick 1 in a super draft, best first year player since Mr Judd. Boom!

Last edited:
Samo - sufferered from a case of the 2nd year blues, the forgotten man will remind us why we fell in love with him. A full preseason will see him consistently show us what he is made of.

Weitering - will settle in a role and make it his own in 2019.

Fish - the kid is something special and seems to get better with every game.

Yeah, like a few others, Samo. Think back to the way he carved Collingwood with a dozen or so posessions in his first year. He's an absolute match winner.

Jones. Feel he copped a lot of unfair heat throughout 2018...horribly exposed with a constantly changing back 6 and a very poor defensive midfield.

Newman. Don't know why, just bloody excited about what he brings. Finds the ball, good by foot, solid body...just seems to be something dependable about him. Doc, Simmo and Newman is a pretty smart, hard running defensive trio.

And I'll put in Williamson. Devastating for him to lose a whole year after such a promising start. He's an ace in the pack if he can pick up where he left off.

Yeah, like a few others, Samo. Think back to the way he carved Collingwood with a dozen or so posessions in his first year. He's an absolute match winner.

Jones. Feel he copped a lot of unfair heat throughout 2018...horribly exposed with a constantly changing back 6 and a very poor defensive midfield.

Newman. Don't know why, just bloody excited about what he brings. Finds the ball, good by foot, solid body...just seems to be something dependable about him. Doc, Simmo and Newman is a pretty smart, hard running defensive trio.

And I'll put in Williamson. Devastating for him to lose a whole year after such a promising start. He's an ace in the pack if he can pick up where he left off.

Why did they let him go?? Rarely do they let (In history) a "player" go ……..

Why did they let him go?? Rarely do they let (In history) a "player" go ……..
Not sure...the whole Swans post season was a bit weird. All the media wondering what they were up to, when the answer was sweet * all. Gave Hanneberry and Rohan away for nothing. I'm not convinced they wanted to let Newman go, hence Thurlow (who I like) coming in late. I think the fact we had to pay something for Newman says a little.

Maybe Buddy's back loading is coming home to roost.

Not sure...the whole Swans post season was a bit weird. All the media wondering what they were up to, when the answer was sweet **** all. Gave Hanneberry and Rohan away for nothing. I'm not convinced they wanted to let Newman go, hence Thurlow (who I like) coming in late. I think the fact we had to pay something for Newman says a little.

Maybe Buddy's back loading is coming home to roost.

Hope so ….

thanks thy for linking :p:p
1- shumacher, feel like he could be a diamond in the rough, was up there in stats in the vfl still a kid and could get a few games with the loss of doc :(
2- fasolo, if he gets his mind and body right could be a real good pickup for us heaps of talent and knows where the goals are
3- setterfield, if this kid has a good run at it, watch out... teams are going to be hurtin :)

This is difficult !

Ok here goes:

W Setterfield - It's the unknown with Will that I find so alluring. His ceiling is through the roof. A guy that was rated by both us and Dodoro as the number 1 pick of the 2016 draft - well he has 2 additional years in the system now since then and we got him at a bargain basement price. Could prove to be one of the all time greatest trades. At 191cm he is a superb size and a hybrid inside outside type that can equally assist Cripps/Kennedy/E Curnow inside but also Murph/Dow/SPS on the outside (I think Fisher is another 'hybrid' type albeit shorter). His run and carry and his delivery is his real weapon. I love that he asked for the number 43 too.

A Fasolo - I could be in the minority here but I LOVE what this guy brings to the table and how it has been set up. He will be playing with a chip on his shoulder and out there to prove people wrong. Shoulder chips are usually good things in football. I think the Fas will want to show the football world that he demands respect all over again - he is smart and an opportunist who can feed off the bigger forwards. I think he just has to buy into a team first ethos i.e. selflessness and doing the defensive work when needed, that will be his challenge. I can see him scoring 30+ goals and having 20+ goal assists, IMO that would be a HUGE season.

H McKay - This kid can play! He has all the tools and sooner or later it is just going to click! Still an element of him growing into his body and understanding his body. Let the opposition worry about C Curnow and McGovern, because if this guy is taking a 3rd banana defender , his blend of height , reach , marking ability, leading patterns, agility, smarts and ground ball skills will be too much to handle more often than not.

S Docherty - just such a professional - IMO his willingness to get into the the thick of the coaching caper while he sat out 2018 speaks volumes about his want and desire for the club to succeed. One of our few rolled gold AAs. I know that expectations should be tempered coming back off a knee reco but his on-field presence will be HUGE - best leader we have out there on the park (including Cripps but Cripps is more of a jump on my back and follow me type guy), can organise the boys tactically better than anyone IMO and understands the strategic nuances of the game - he is a thinker!

(Having said all the above Zac Fisher is my fave blue bagger and he will take his game to another level - little pocket rocket!)

Maybe I too will look like an idiot when thylacine60 resurrects this thread in 2022 - hopefully not!

*! Waste of time writing that last paragraph :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back