Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

What does the "R" stand for in "NRL"?

So we should call AFL 'League'? :p

Stupid argument!
I can’t see how you can say its not rugby either. They are just a variation of the same sport. Which happens to be rugby o_O

As a ignorant Victorian I have had this discussion before ... and while I agree the R word is in both sports acronym .. I think to those who know more about those sports and live the difference have deemed them as a separate sport based on as much history as how they are played or what they are called. Lets face it .. if someone said there is no difference between FA and AFL just because they both have football in their names ..we would be outraged and dismissive of such dumbness.

Personally I dislike how the term AFL has come to represent our sport .. it means lower levels have to play the sport AFL while their comp may be GFL or what ever. .. and I suspect there would be some up north that would hate that they still have the R word in their comp.. as it stands for all the snobbery of the private school system that broke away from ..it tries hard to separate themselves by almost ignoring the R word and only referring to themselves as League (which make little sense when the same word is used for comps for football to basketball etc...) but I suspect like a lot of emotional things logic is not the first box being ticked

Anyway ... so big Blake played a sport where they progressed down field by make graduated distances ... I think they are called downs ... or is that a different sport ;) lets hope he can progress and get used to football played on an oval...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If there were a competing but equivalent AFA or AFU, then yes, we would probably call it "league".

I wonder if we did that back in the days when the VFA was still competitive with the VFL?

Pretty sure the VFA was referred to as "the association" back then.

If there were a competing but equivalent AFA or AFU, then yes, we would probably call it "league".

I wonder if we did that back in the days when the VFA was still competitive with the VFL?

We called it aussie rules and defined the various comps including ammos, VFL, WAFL, GFL, EL, VFA, etc.

The whole calling it AFL is from the north I reckon where they play league and that game which is played in heaven. Probably an AFL branding thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We called it aussie rules and defined the various comps including ammos, VFL, WAFL, GFL, EL, VFA, etc.

The whole calling it AFL is from the north I reckon where they play league and that game which is played in heaven. Probably an AFL branding thing.

This is true.
But the whole Ugh-by confusion for us stems from the two games actually being very different.
Bigger difference than AFL/VFA, for example.
Despite this, my understanding was that they differentiated them by calling them either League or Union.
Anyway, enough discussion from me about a game I couldn't give a :poo: about.

You'd hope, but I haven't been able to find a regular Napoleonics opponent since I left Victoria.

This is true.
But the whole Ugh-by confusion for us stems from the two games actually being very different.
Bigger difference than AFL/VFA, for example.
Despite this, my understanding was that they differentiated them by calling them either League or Union.
Anyway, enough discussion from me about a game I couldn't give a :poo: about.

True, they do.

Goddard final announces retirement

FORMER St Kilda and Essendon star Brendon Goddard has officially announced his retirement from the AFL.

The 33-year-old confirmed the news on social media on Thursday night after celebrating his illustrious career with friends and family at the Cathedral Lodge and Golf Club, owned by former Essendon president David Evans.

Goddard was undecided whether he wanted to play on at the end of the season and was yet to find a new club as a delisted free agent.

He seemed to hold out hope until the very ends when he finally acknowledged what others already knew in that he wouldn't be offered a contract by another club

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-12-06/more-time-for-golf-goddard-officially-calls-it-quits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back