Training Apples' Training Threads 2018/19

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely you too are not on ignore?
It would be quicker to write a list of people not on BJ’s ignore list, than a list of people on it. He has no time for anyone who’s opinion differs from his, and has created his own little world within Collingwood BF that fits his ideals.

Anyone else mentally preparing themselves for the news of post-season surgeries that will create delays to the start of the season for some players? Last pre-season Elliott, Fasolo and Greenwood has surgeries later than expected because the club's initial conservative treatment did not work.

I say this because some players such as Crisp, Maynard and Greenwood have had very little if any training.

What the hell is Twitch Chat? Anyway, thanks for the confirmation Jen. I'll see if I can get some better shots of Beamer's terrible haircut! Is there a New Haircut thread?
If anybody would like to request a particular player photo I'll do my best.

Oh sorry I should have clarified. It’s the gaming streaming service gamers use for games like fortnite. It comes with a chat.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A solid, almost 3 hours, out on the track today (9.30am - 12.15pm).
Conditions were cool initially, but then one of BigFooty's finest Apples, who I identified and met for the first time, and I broke out the sunscreen later.

Match simulation was a large feature of training I jotted some notes, so I thought I might save Apples some of the pain. I know that he has his camera and will expect to contribute some shots.

After some initial warm up, match simulation went for an hour or so.

Non-match simulation participants
Shaz, Maynard and Goldsack were doing run throughs together
Aish and Howe ran laps (shoulders for both)
Dunn and Greenwood runing laps together
Treloar ran a few laps by himself
Broomy did similar and for a bit longer
Langon, Sier, Daicos, Wills were on the side doing run throughs
Unsighted at training today - Crisp, Kelly, Reid........Wells

What I could recall of the teams
Team Black
backs - Magden, IQ, Appleby, Roughead, Ralph
Mids - Grundy, Beams, Adams, Mayne, Tyler Brown, Crocker
Fwds - Atu, Mihocek, Stephenson, Lynch, T Lockyer

Team White
Backs - Darcy, Murphy, Keane, Blonde haired VFL type on Ralph maybe Wellings, one of the coaches possibly
Mids - Cox, Pendles, Steele, Callum Brown, Phillips
Fwds - Thomas, Elliott, WHE, Tohill, Varcoe

Observations from this
Moore - BOG, kept getting intercept marks and hit targets every time. Also very mobile. Will be huge for us this season
Senior mids who kept getting the pill regularly - Beams, Sidebottom, Adams (who had customary turnovers and found Moore a couple of times)
Callum Brown was busy and continues his good intensity at training
IQ backs himself in and hits targets quite nicely. Could be an early season starter in the 1's.
Lynch and Tohill both did a couple of nice things up forward
Elliott - looked dangerous on a lead and was moving freely. Close to full training today which was encouraging. Clearly he and Moore have stepped up from last week's efforts.
Stephenson - had a couple of shots on goal but his kicking is unreliable.
Phillips got more of it, the longer it went on
2nd half - Roughead and Lynch in the ruck.Cox and Brodie up forward

Notable features -
- Periodically coaches would call the players in who had to sprint around Kevin White, who had moved his position while play was continuing, and then return to position. Kept all the players working and warm.
- At end, players did goal kicking practice once fatigued

Post match simulation
Extended Run throughs length of the centre square

Typically to a coach who would handball to whoever was in the lead at the end as a test of skill under fatigue
This has been a recurring feature of pre-season. Pairings are often pretty consistent

Pair offs, with regular winner today highlighted if apparent
IQ & Atu. Tohill & Mihocek, VFL boys Ralph and Wellings?, Apples vs Murphy, Cox & Roughead, Pendles/Mayne/Adams, Steele & Tyler B, Lynch & Varcoe, Billy & Moore, Magden & Keane, Phillips & C Brown, Stephenson and Thomas
Players like Beams, Grundy, WHE and others abstained from this post match sim

Later drills
- More run throughs the length of the centre square but with contested grappling at the end of it
- More match sim but in one side of the ground (little shorter too) so that it was more congested. Highlight was Moore kicking long from CHB, clearing the forwards and the ball rolling through for a goal from 60m+.
- A contested marking/defending drill 3 vs 3 - again Moore the standout in his defending. Cox took a couple of nice contested grabs

Last men standing at the end at 12.15pm - Cox and Phillips doing goal kicking.

Those notably pushing themselves I thought
Stephenson - an unusual combination of both fast twitch and slow twitch muscle fibres. Quickest player but also good endurance.
Adams, Cal Brown, Murphy, IQ

Over to others to share their thoughts too

A solid, almost 3 hours, out on the track today (9.30am - 12.15pm).
Conditions were cool initially, but then one of BigFooty's finest Apples, who I identified and met for the first time, and I broke out the sunscreen later.

Match simulation was a large feature of training I jotted some notes, so I thought I might save Apples some of the pain. I know that he has his camera and will expect to contribute some shots.

After some initial warm up, match simulation went for an hour or so.

Non-match simulation participants
Shaz, Maynard and Goldsack were doing run throughs together
Aish and Howe ran laps (shoulders for both)
Dunn and Greenwood runing laps together
Treloar ran a few laps by himself
Broomy did similar and for a bit longer
Langon, Sier, Daicos, Wills were on the side doing run throughs
Unsighted at training today - Crisp, Kelly, Reid........Wells

What I could recall of the teams
Team Black
backs - Magden, IQ, Appleby, Roughead, Ralph
Mids - Grundy, Beams, Adams, Mayne, Tyler Brown, Crocker
Fwds - Atu, Mihocek, Stephenson, Lynch, T Lockyer

Team White
Backs - Darcy, Murphy, Keane, Blonde haired VFL type on Ralph maybe Wellings, one of the coaches possibly
Mids - Cox, Pendles, Steele, Callum Brown, Phillips
Fwds - Thomas, Elliott, WHE, Tohill, Varcoe

Observations from this
Moore - BOG, kept getting intercept marks and hit targets every time. Also very mobile. Will be huge for us this season
Senior mids who kept getting the pill regularly - Beams, Sidebottom, Adams (who had customary turnovers and found Moore a couple of times)
Callum Brown was busy and continues his good intensity at training
IQ backs himself in and hits targets quite nicely. Could be an early season starter in the 1's.
Lynch and Tohill both did a couple of nice things up forward
Elliott - looked dangerous on a lead and was moving freely. Close to full training today which was encouraging. Clearly he and Moore have stepped up from last week's efforts.
Stephenson - had a couple of shots on goal but his kicking is unreliable.
Phillips got more of it, the longer it went on
2nd half - Roughead and Lynch in the ruck.Cox and Brodie up forward

Notable features -
- Periodically coaches would call the players in who had to sprint around Kevin White, who had moved his position while play was continuing, and then return to position. Kept all the players working and warm.
- At end, players did goal kicking practice once fatigued

Post match simulation
Extended Run throughs length of the centre square

Typically to a coach who would handball to whoever was in the lead at the end as a test of skill under fatigue
This has been a recurring feature of pre-season. Pairings are often pretty consistent

Pair offs, with regular winner today highlighted if apparent
IQ & Atu. Tohill & Mihocek, VFL boys Ralph and Wellings?, Apples vs Murphy, Cox & Roughead, Pendles/Mayne/Adams, Steele & Tyler B, Lynch & Varcoe, Billy & Moore, Magden & Keane, Phillips & C Brown, Stephenson and Thomas
Players like Beams, Grundy, WHE and others abstained from this post match sim

Later drills
- More run throughs the length of the centre square but with contested grappling at the end of it
- More match sim but in one side of the ground (little shorter too) so that it was more congested. Highlight was Moore kicking long from CHB, clearing the forwards and the ball rolling through for a goal from 60m+.
- A contested marking/defending drill 3 vs 3 - again Moore the standout in his defending. Cox took a couple of nice contested grabs

Last men standing at the end at 12.15pm - Cox and Phillips doing goal kicking.

Those notably pushing themselves I thought
Stephenson - an unusual combination of both fast twitch and slow twitch muscle fibres. Quickest player but also good endurance.
Adams, Cal Brown, Murphy, IQ

Over to others to share their thoughts too
Thanks for that. Good to hear about Moore.

As mentioned earlier, I'm quite concerned about Maynard, Greenwood and Crisp. Especially Crisp.

Howe is the only player that the club has been transparent about being injured in the off-season. Even Goldsack publically wore his arm in a sling during the off-season but nothing was said.

Thanks for that. Good to hear about Moore.

As mentioned earlier, I'm quite concerned about Maynard, Greenwood and Crisp. Especially Crisp.

Howe is the only player that the club has been transparent about being injured in the off-season. Even Goldsack publically wore his arm in a sling during the off-season but nothing was said.

Still early days have stacks of time to get them right

Good to hear, as I think that Cox's goal kicking is something that we need to see improve from outside 30.
What range was he kicking from and how was he going?
He really does a lot of practice on his goal kicking. Most sessions he stays back working on it.
With the fatigue created by a long training session, he was tending to miss a lot of shots to the near side from a 45 degree angle. Accordingly he was expressing his frustration.
I think he'll tend to take shots from closer to goal for now, rather than 30+.

Training Report: Monday November 10th, 2018
Long, Gruelling Session for Magpie List

I almost changed my mind this morning and went to see a film instead. Glad I didn't though, because this was the most intense and interesting training session I've seen in many years.

Not Training:
Crisp, Wells, Reid
Managed Training:
Sharenberg, Daicos, Howe, Greenwood, Aish, Wills, Maynard, Dunn, Goldsack, Langdon, Sier and Broomhead.
These blokes did virtually 2 hours of running.

I arrived at about 9:40 (thanks Jen2310 for the tip), and the players were already at the Boulevard-end stretching.
They then moved through the middle doing warm up 100m run throughs.
At about 10am the match play began and it was really interesting. The players were taken through two 25 minute halves with a half time break in the middle.

At all other times the players ran non stop from one end of the ground to the other and from one side to the other. Fitness head Kevin White kept stationing himself at different points around the oval and after a boundary, would blow the whistle and have the players run to him, run around him and then peel off into 3 different areas: centre, forward and back. Play would then continue. It was tough and unrelenting and some players really shone.

I'll discuss of the first half midfield match ups first.
White Team: Cox (ruck) with Sidebottom, DeGoey, Callum Brown
Black Team: Grundy (ruck) with Adams, Beams, Tyler Brown
The Brown brothers played on each other, as did Sidey/Beams and Adams/DeGoey
Pendles (White) took Phillips (Black) on the AAMI wing and the Glasshouse wing had Crocker unopposed.

The White Team kicked to the Yarra end looking for forwards Varcoe, Elliott, Tohill & WHE.
At one stage Tohill took a chest mark at about 40m, sidestepped an opponent and shot for goal. He hit the post. It was a nice move. From memory, IQ stood beside Elliott. He looks ready made Isaac. He never stopped running and bulldozing all morning. He used the ball well too. Roughead took Tohill.

At the Boulevard end, Lynch was opposed to Keane. Lynch impressed today. He never stopped working, was a good target and found the ball a lot.

Darcy Moore was a standout down here. He made ground very quickly to spoil very well and used the ball superbly every time. He was helped by Murphy who reads the ball well and has a thumping foot on him. Murphy has closing speed and can run all day. It could be a very nice looking backline with Moore, IQ and Murphy added for dash and ball use. Atu played the small forward role here. Pace to burn and keeps his feet.

After a five minute break, the second half began. Roughead and Lynch were the ruckmen this half whilst Grundy and Cox played respective key forwards.

The players had a short break at the end of the quarter and I fully expected them to file off as it was about 11am. Not so lucky. The players were put in pairs (carefully selected pairs at that) and ran 3x100m sprints with short jogs between each sprint. I think they did 3 sets of these sprints and I was impressed that the players still had so much in their tanks.

During this session Albert Parker introduced himself, shared his sun screen and we then watched as another match play was organised. This one was on a reduced field with far more congested conditions. Albert shared his thoughts on what he had seen and it was great to hear another interpretation as to what was happening. Albert for instance, noticed that Chris Mayne was bringing the ball back in from a behind using the new 'play-on ' rule. I saw Mayne run the ball in dodge two opponents and then deliver nicely to half back. I had missed the new play-on skill.

After this match play finished the teams had to run the boundary back to the Glasshouse wing. Black team must have won because they had the short run from the Boulevard end. The Red team had to run the AAMI boundary and the sprint along the home wing. Some players were still doing this easily: Stephenson, Murphy, Cox and Sidey among them.

By this stage it was after midday; over two and a half hours of punishment. Albert and I went our separate ways and that was it.

Final observations:
Moore was outstanding today.
Other players to take my eye:
Callum Brown ran his legs off in the middle and enjoyed the inside congestion.
Isaac Quaynor is fast, a good user and looks as if he could slot right in now.
Beams is obviously a fine addition. He uses the ball so well and has the experience to save energy.
Jamie Elliott worked very hard all morning. It was so good to see him in good nick and injury free.
Nathan Murphy looks the real deal. I know I said it a year ago, but he's poised, fast and so good by foot.
The other things to cheer us all was to see Lynden Dunn and Matty Sharenberg doing so much work on the track. Albert says Dunn has been running a few months. It's not beyond the realms of possibility to see them both back by mid year.
Happy to answer any questions and I'm more than happy for Albert and ChrisPiesssss to add their thoughts and observations here.
PS Loaded PDF files here last week, but today I can't load pics as .PDFs or as .pngs. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Training Report: Monday November 10th, 2018
Long, Gruelling Session for Magpie List

I almost changed my mind this morning and went to see a film instead. Glad I didn't though, because this was the most intense and interesting training session I've seen in many years.

Not Training:
Crisp, Wells, Reid
Managed Training:
Sharenberg, Daicos, Howe, Greenwood, Aish, Wills, Maynard, Dunn, Goldsack, Langdon, Sier and Broomhead.
These blokes did virtually 2 hours of running.

I arrived at about 9:40 (thanks Jen2310 for the tip), and the players were already at the Boulevard-end stretching.
They then moved through the middle doing warm up 100m run throughs.
At about 10am the match play began and it was really interesting. The players were taken through two 25 minute halves with a half time break in the middle.

At all other times the players ran non stop from one end of the ground to the other and from one side to the other. Fitness head Kevin White kept stationing himself at different points around the oval and after a boundary, would blow the whistle and have the players run to him, run around him and then peel off into 3 different areas: centre, forward and back. Play would then continue. It was tough and unrelenting and some players really shone.

I'll discuss of the first half midfield match ups first.
White Team: Cox (ruck) with Sidebottom, DeGoey, Callum Brown
Black Team: Grundy (ruck) with Adams, Beams, Tyler Brown
The Brown brothers played on each other, as did Sidey/Beams and Adams/DeGoey
Pendles (White) took Phillips (Black) on the AAMI wing and the Glasshouse wing had Crocker unopposed.

The White Team kicked to the Yarra end looking for forwards Varcoe, Elliott, Tohill & WHE.
At one stage Tohill took a chest mark at about 40m, sidestepped an opponent and shot for goal. He hit the post. It was a nice move. From memory, IQ stood beside Elliott. He looks ready made Isaac. He never stopped running and bulldozing all morning. He used the ball well too. Roughead took Tohill.

At the Boulevard end, Lynch was opposed to Keane. Lynch impressed today. He never stopped working, was a good target and found the ball a lot.

Darcy Moore was a standout down here. He made ground very quickly to spoil very well and used the ball superbly every time. He was helped by Murphy who reads the ball well and has a thumping foot on him. Murphy has closing speed and can run all day. It could be a very nice looking backline with Moore, IQ and Murphy added for dash and ball use. Atu played the small forward role here. Pace to burn and keeps his feet.

After a five minute break, the second half began. Roughead and Lynch were the ruckmen this half whilst Grundy and Cox played respective key forwards.

The players had a short break at the end of the quarter and I fully expected them to file off as it was about 11am. Not so lucky. The players were put in pairs (carefully selected pairs at that) and ran 3x100m sprints with short jogs between each sprint. I think they did 3 sets of these sprints and I was impressed that the players still had so much in their tanks.

During this session Albert Parker introduced himself, shared his sun screen and we then watched as another match play was organised. This one was on a reduced field with far more congested conditions. Albert shared his thoughts on what he had seen and it was great to hear another interpretation as to what was happening. Albert for instance, noticed that Chris Mayne was bringing the ball back in from a behind using the new 'play-on ' rule. I saw Mayne run the ball in dodge two opponents and then deliver nicely to half back. I had missed the new play-on skill.

After this match play finished the teams had to run the boundary back to the Glasshouse wing. Black team must have won because they had the short run from the Boulevard end. The Red team had to run the AAMI boundary and the sprint along the home wing. Some players were still doing this easily: Stephenson, Murphy, Cox and Sidey among them.

By this stage it was after midday; over two and a half hours of punishment. Albert and I went our separate ways and that was it.

Final observations:
Moore was outstanding today.
Other players to take my eye:
Callum Brown ran his legs off in the middle and enjoyed the inside congestion.
Isaac Quaynor is fast, a good user and looks as if he could slot right in now.
Beams is obviously a fine addition. He uses the ball so well and has the experience to save energy.
Jamie Elliott worked very hard all morning. It was so good to see him in good nick and injury free.
Nathan Murphy looks the real deal. I know I said it a year ago, but he's poised, fast and so good by foot.
The other things to cheer us all was to see Lynden Dunn and Matty Sharenberg doing so much work on the track. Albert says Dunn has been running a few months. It's not beyond the realms of possibility to see them both back by mid year.
Happy to answer any questions and I'm more than happy for Albert and Piesssss to add their thoughts and observations here.
PS Loaded PDF files here last week, but today I can't load pics as .PDFs or as .pngs. Any suggestions?
Apples, have you heard anything trackside about Crisp's absence?

Apples
Albert Parker

Great reports, really appreciated.

Ps sunscreen updates are now mandatory as I lioved that little aside in your reports.

:)

The bear!

Life is good :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back