Multiplat The Outer Worlds

Remove this Banner Ad

bulletride

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Obsidian's new RPG revealed at The Game Awards.

The Outer Worlds is a new single-player first-person sci-fi RPG from Obsidian Entertainment and Private Division.

In The Outer Worlds, you awake from hibernation on a colonist ship that was lost in transit to Halcyon, the furthest colony from Earth located at the edge of the galaxy, only to find yourself in the midst of a deep conspiracy threatening to destroy it. As you explore the furthest reaches of space and encounter various factions, all vying for power, the character you decide to become will determine how this player-driven story unfolds. In the corporate equation for the colony, you are the unplanned variable.

Key Features

• The player-driven story RPG: In keeping with the Obsidian tradition, how you approach The Outer Worlds is up to you. Your choices affect not only the way the story develops; but your character build, companion stories, and end game scenarios.
  • You can be flawed, in a good way: New to The Outer Worlds is the idea of flaws. A compelling hero is made by the flaws they carry with them. While playing The Outer Worlds, the game tracks your experience to find what you aren't particularly good at. Keep getting attacked by Raptidons? Taking the Raptiphobia flaw gives you a debuff when confronting the vicious creatures, but rewards you with an additional character perk immediately. This optional approach to the game helps you build the character you want while exploring Halcyon.
  • Lead your companions: During your journey through the furthest colony, you will meet a host of characters who will want to join your crew. Armed with unique abilities, these companions all have their own missions, motivations, and ideals. It's up to you to help them achieve their goals, or turn them to your own ends.
  • Explore the corporate colony: Halcyon is a colony at the edge of the galaxy owned and operated by a corporate board. They control everything... except for the alien monsters left behind when the terraforming of the colony’s two planets didn’t exactly go according to plan. Find your ship, build your crew, and explore the settlements, space stations, and other intriguing locations throughout Halcyon.

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
straight into my veins

tow-roseway-combat-004.jpg

tow-byzantium-cityscape-001.jpg

tow-playership-cockpit-001.jpg

tow-roseway-combat-003.jpg

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Part of me hopes this sucks just so morons stop sucking obsidians dick like they are the greatest game company ever when really they have only made 1 good game

Which one is their only good game?

Neverwinter Nights 2
SW Knights of the Old Republic 2
Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2
South Park Stick of Truth
Fallout NV

Or as Black Isle:
Icewind Dale 1 and 2
Baldur’s Gate 2
Fallout 2
Planescape

And chuck in the rest of the Baldur’s Gates, Fallout 1 and everything else from Interplay if you want to include the key people like Feargus Urquhart and Chris Avellone.

:p

In there are not only many of my GOATs but some of the greatest and most influential RPGs of all time.

bulletride

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Which one is their only good game?

Neverwinter Nights 2
SW Knights of the Old Republic 2
Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2
South Park Stick of Truth
Fallout NV

Or as Black Isle:
Icewind Dale 1 and 2
Baldur’s Gate 2
Fallout 2
Planescape

And chuck in the rest of the Baldur’s Gates, Fallout 1 and everything else from Interplay if you want to include the key people like Feargus Urquhart and Chris Avellone.

In there are not only many of my GOATs but some of the greatest and most influential RPGs of all time.
Distinct lack of Alpha Protocol in that list . I know I'm definitely in the minority that liked that though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Distinct lack of Alpha Protocol in that list . I know I'm definitely in the minority that liked that though.

Alpha Protocol was great too. I just didn’t want to seem like I copy and pasted their release history :p figured I’d leave it to undisputed hits. Dungeon Siege was imo their weakest release but even that wasn’t absolutely terrible.

Those Forgotten Realms RPGs left the biggest impression on me and then I spent probably years smashing all of R.A Salvatore’s books. BioWare managed the other side of the coin for me with Neverwinter Nights 1 (and of course Knights of the Old Republic) which is probably I kept the faith in their name as a fanboy for a bit longer than anyone else.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Gee thats pretty good. Have watched the Pillars of Eternity games on YouTube/Twitch and they look fantastic, but seriously long and lots of reading. Baldur's Gate 2 gets high praise and Fallout 2 is one of my fav ever games. Can certainly make an isometric RPG experience.

They were the kings of the genre back in the day, and proved they could do a fully voiced RPG when they had their chance with New Vegas. I guess after they were dropped by Bethesda they went back to doing what they did best within their budget limitations and that's where Pillars of Eternity came from. I actually started Pillars of Eternity 1 again just casually recently, and despite so much reading it really is a great game. It makes me miss the old Forgotten Realms universe though and I hope somebody picks it back up again.

Some of the other key people (well at least the founder, Brian Fargo) from the Fallout 1 Interplay days have gone on to make InXile. They have made Wasteland 2 which is well worth it if you love the original Fallout games as it's very similar. In fact I think it was even developed as the spiritual successor to Fallout 2. Another of their recent games was Torment: Tides of Numenera which is another isometric RPG in the style of BG/IWD. Most interestingly though is that Microsoft also recently acquired InXile as well as Obsidian. So now they have some of the most influential people in RPG history under their umbrella and it would be fantastic if there could be a collaboration between the two companies down the track.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Not bad, didn't know all that! I do have Wasteland 2! I bought it around the time it came out and I still haven't gotten around to playing it yet. But I see there is a Wasteland 3 coming out next year so I'll probably get into it before that comes out. Torment: Tides of Numenera looks fantastic as well, I've just wishlisted it. The future does look pretty good if Obsidian and InXile collaborate in the future. Hopefully they're given a free license by Microsoft to create what they think will be best because the two companies look as though they know how to make a hit.

Watching both of their announcement videos about joining Microsoft they have pretty much said the same thing - it will only work if they can keep doing things their way, however now with the resources from Microsoft they'll finally be able to make they want and won't be limited by their own means. I guess we'll have to wait and see though!

nameless

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 17, 2006
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Part of me hopes this sucks just so morons stop sucking obsidians dick like they are the greatest game company ever when really they have only made 1 good game

I see you're already role-playing this game and have chosen to exclusively use the [DUMB] dialogue options.

Good to see :thumbsu:

(this game looks bloody awesome, can't wait. Only little issue from the gameplay vid is the combat looks a little sketchy, hopefully all good though)

I see you're already role-playing this game and have chosen to exclusively use the [DUMB] dialogue options.

Good to see :thumbsu:

(this game looks bloody awesome, can't wait. Only little issue from the gameplay vid is the combat looks a little sketchy, hopefully all good though)

The dumb option is getting a raging boner for a game from one trailer in this day and age of half finished garbage.

All I'm saying is everyone should temper their expectations until we see actual gameplay and reviews.

nameless

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 17, 2006
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
The dumb option is getting a raging boner for a game from one trailer in this day and age of half finished garbage.

All I'm saying is everyone should temper their expectations until we see actual gameplay and reviews.

Of course, that's a reasonable line of thinking.

But saying you "hope it sucks" is silly.

And Obsidian do have an insane record of quality games, it fits right in my wheelhouse of open-world hub environments with deep RPG mechanics, squad-based action game that i love.

It's nice to get excited every now and then :)

Didn't you buy the stupid edition of fallout 76 with the high quality bag?:p

Didn't you buy the stupid edition of fallout 76 with the high quality bag?:p

Also got a full refund so technically i got a free game.

But let my story be a warning about preordering, not everyone was as lucky as me.

Back