Draft Profile Liam Stocker

Remove this Banner Ad

I confess I don't follow Carlton closely but was it not because Bolton in all his wisdom moved wetts forward and essentially stuffed him up? After previously bossing it in his natural defensive position

Yes, a poor decision by Bolton, in hindsight.

Bolts was trying to plug a gaping hole up forward, and thought Weitering could be a swingman. It did great harm to the kids confidence in 2017. Mitch McGovern is now the swingman that Bolts wanted in 2017.

However, it seems everyone at the club now is on the same page, Weitering is a key-position backman. He should remain there.

No one's saying he's not a good player.I'm saying he has been played too much too early.Most key position talls don't play much at all in their first few years. He doesn't enjoy playing because he's getting roughed up by bigger players.He should have been played on a wing or played sparingly. He was fine when he was drafted, now he's injured alot and doesn't enjoy playing.

The whole club was injured because we had league worst fitness and injury prevention. We now have a new high-performance boss, and by reputation a very good one.

Weitering got some of his mojo back 2nd of 2018. If the team improves in 2019, he will be fine from an enjoyment perspective.

I hope Sam Walsh and Liam Stocker are co-winners of the rising star and that the ball never goes into our defence ;)

So still can't name a KPD, in the last 10 years, that has better output than Weitering in his first 3 years?

Doedee? Or not classed as kpd?

Hurley but he played forward a lot as well.

Harris Andrews first 3 seasons were marginally better than Weitering's first 3 seasons IMO.

The problem tho Blues development is poor.Weitering has talent and looked outstanding, the rate he went backwards I couldn't believe confidence is gone.Comes down to me poor development and coaching to.

Let's get back on track thanks - this thread is to discuss Liam Stocker

Plenty of other places you can go to discuss Jacob Weitering or any other player.

Perhaps I didn’t make myself clear enough in the above post.

This thread is for discussing Liam Stocker.

Not Jacob Weitering or Carlton’s development.

Not what you had for lunch today.

Liam Stocker.

Keep it on topic or post elsewhere.

The problem tho Blues development is poor.Weitering has talent and looked outstanding, the rate he went backwards I couldn't believe confidence is gone.Comes down to me poor development and coaching to.

I understand it was partly due to necessity but Weitering being played as a marking forward for large chunks of his 2nd season instead of 3rd Def tall ended up messing up his development and dented his confidence levels when he wen't back to defence and seemed unsure of his role. Also suffered a few injuries which made him look slow this year. Bounced back well down the back end of this year though. I believe he would be further along in his development if he was allowed to play to his strengths (intercept def) the whole time. Still reckon he'll end up a gun KP def by the time he's 24-25

Perhaps I didn’t make myself clear enough in the above post.

This thread is for discussing Liam Stocker.

Not Jacob Weitering or Carlton’s development.

Not what you had for lunch today.

Liam Stocker.

Keep it on topic or post elsewhere.
Lol. Came 3rd in the R/S in his first year, with his name in the bests a couple of times as an 18 year old KPD, averaging 15 disposals and 5 marks a game over 20 games.

'Gifted' a spot.
Take your own advice, sheesh the very next post you replied regarding Weitering :drunk:

Pretty sure you had some concerning injuries, yet you kept Burton?

Show me a coach that has been successful with a developing group. Roos with the Demons? Sheedy with GWS?

We didn't reach for Stocker at all, you will realise that soon enough, when you assess the draftees for next year
I think we did realise it and why we were so happy when you offered pick 1 for us. The top end is top end dont kid yourself.
Your are trading in high risk guys. The team that can afford injuries is increasing the risk then complain you had a bad run with them.

Draft numbers mean nothing, especially if the Crows draft a Jack Watts type and we draft another Patrick Cripps type.

It's all about the players; likely 3 of them. Stocker and Adelaide ?? and Carlton ??

Heck, we are almost certain to trade the Adelaide 1st round pick for a ready-made player (aka next year's Dylan Shiel, whoever that may be). So the comparison becomes even more complicated.

Basically, we liked Liam Stocker a lot. It is up to the kid to prove that he is worth it.
When was the last time the crows had a bust with their 1st or 2nd in a draft?
Pick 12 will help you get a Shiel comparison?
if its a weaker draft then more chance you draft a burst with a worse pick.
Its more like Stocker and your next year pick will be compared to a DeGoey or Oliver. Look at our record with much lower picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 12 will help you get a Shiel comparison?
if its a weaker draft then more chance you draft a burst with a worse pick.

Shield went for 2 1sts (2018 and 2019) from Ess and a 2nd coming back from GWS.

If necessary we would do similar deal for a similar or better talent, say pick 9 (from Adelaide) 2019 and our 2020 1st round pick.

I think we did realise it and why we were so happy when you offered pick 1 for us. The top end is top end dont kid yourself.
Your are trading in high risk guys. The team that can afford injuries is increasing the risk then complain you had a bad run with them.

Kidding myself? You have no idea what the talent is like next year

Kidding myself? You have no idea what the talent is like next year
Even if Stoker is ok, you might be giving away the next Dustin Martin or Lance Franklin by giving away pick 2 next year.And Stoker is no Buddy Franklin.Also how is Silvagni allowed to draft his sons, neither appear up to AFL standard.I've never heard of a list manager allowed to draft his own sons before.

Even if Stoker is ok, you might be giving away the next Dustin Martin or Lance Franklin by giving away pick 2 next year.And Stoker is no Buddy Franklin.Also how is Silvagni allowed to draft his sons, neither appear up to AFL standard.I've never heard of a list manager allowed to draft his own sons before.

There is no Buddy or Martin, floating around next year

Late picks for the Silvagni boys? Perhaps compare Jack to some of the other young draftee players taken just after him

As for ending up with pick 2, happy to take that wager with you

Carlton have a better record in the teens that with single digit picks. By that logic, I like Stocker's chances to outshine Walsh and next years pick (hopefully 18 ;) ) to outshine them both.

I was already quietly hoping that Liam would be one of the top players taken in this draft, outside ours and the other SA lads. I was hoping he would show that after we've finished death riding them though. But with the devastating news about Docherty, I really do hope that this kid is a standout next year. Not enough to drop us down the draft order obviously, but to really put this discussion to bed early. Come on Liam!!!

Carlton have a better record in the teens that with single digit picks. By that logic, I like Stocker's chances to outshine Walsh and next years pick (hopefully 18 ;) ) to outshine them both.

I was already quietly hoping that Liam would be one of the top players taken in this draft, outside ours and the other SA lads. I was hoping he would show that after we've finished death riding them though. But with the devastating news about Docherty, I really do hope that this kid is a standout next year. Not enough to drop us down the draft order obviously, but to really put this discussion to bed early. Come on Liam!!!
Well Adelaide didn't rate Stoker in the top 19 or you would have drafted him. I think Carlton overated him unless all the other clubs are wrong.

Well Adelaide didn't rate Stoker in the top 19 or you would have drafted him. I think Carlton overated him unless all the other clubs are wrong.

True. But I like the trade. Not just from our side, but theirs. So I hope Stocker proves me right ;) that the trade is win-win.

I don’t want him to be better than our guys though. I don’t think I’m saying anything outrageous here.

Dane Swan was drafted at pick 58. It comes down to the individual and Stocker presents himself very well. Most of the skills he gets touted on are ones that he developed through practice, like his well balanced left foot kicks. His dual sidedness didnt come naturally, it was through repetition. To quote Daicos "perfect practice makes perfect" and thats what Stocker has displayed.

Just listen to the boy speak and you can hear the maturity. He's very grounded. Hope he makes the most of his opportunity but I doubt I'll regret the trade. Reckon SOS, Brodie, and Agresta know what to look for.

Dane Swan was drafted at pick 58. It comes down to the individual and Stocker presents himself very well. Most of the skills he gets touted on are ones that he developed through practice, like his well balanced left foot kicks. His dual sidedness didnt come naturally, it was through repetition. To quote Daicos "perfect practice makes perfect" and thats what Stocker has displayed.

Just listen to the boy speak and you can hear the maturity. He's very grounded. Hope he makes the most of his opportunity but I doubt I'll regret the trade. Reckon SOS, Brodie, and Agresta know what to look for.
Too much faith in SOS ,if he wasn't a club champion he would have been sacked this year.His recruiting policy seems be to get in family members and GWS rejects who he knows.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back