Player Watch #26 Riley Collier-Dawkins

Remove this Banner Ad

Next year 8-15. So we could say that we've got a top 10 pick :drunk:

But it's good to hear that the Saints reckon RCD was the guy with sky high potential. Similar to the top 8 this year (pretty damn good this 2018 top end crop) but with a patchy track record. Reinforces that if we get this right we've just nailed the draft big time this year. But obviously a lot of work for the development team in this year's crop for the RFC.
Yes, although they did still want Caldwell with the Pick 10 they were trying to get, so they at least had RCD placed after him

I love the RCD & Ross selections as well as the Turner pick

Would have been a fantastic draft had we traded next years 1st rounder to The doggie's 2 picks between 25-40 and been able to snag Williams & Bytel
The doggies would have jumped at it as they only ended up using the pick on West which they still would have had the points for.

RCD,Ross,Williams,Bytel,Turner would have been a real good draft with Williams having been able to develop into a Fwd/Ruck and Bytel rated last year as a top 10 pick.

We would have smashed this draft

Top 2 draft picks don't grow on trees.

minor premiership odds

Fremantle 101 101
St Kilda 151 151
Carlton 501 501
Gold Coast 1001 1001

Stocker was overlooked by AFL clubs 18 times.

Rather Carlton have a later pick.

With highly coveted picks, clubs tend to take the safer players that are leaders and help drive the culture of the club.

E.g. Essendon taking McGrath (pick 1) in 2016, Freo taking Brayshaw (pick 2) in 2017 and Carlton taking Walsh this year (pick 1).

You can bank on these guys playing 200+ games, however, the real stars will emerge a bit later on in the draft.

High risk players like RCD could be anything. When clubs take risks, select players like RCD and the risk pays off, that's generally what wins you flags.

Just as a side note, I would love to see the unedited vision of the Richmond recruiting room for the entire duration of the first night of the draft.

It will never be released, but would be interesting to see the discussions that took place in your room throughout the night.

With highly coveted picks, clubs tend to take the safer players that are leaders and help drive the culture of the club.

E.g. Essendon taking McGrath (pick 1) in 2016, Freo taking Brayshaw (pick 2) in 2017 and Carlton taking Walsh this year (pick 1).

You can bank on these guys playing 200+ games, however, the real stars will emerge a bit later on in the draft.

High risk players like RCD could be anything. When clubs take risks, select players like RCD and the risk pays off, that's generally what wins you flags.
Not sure how #20 for RCD is a risk considering most had im in the top 15 picks prior to the draft

RCD reminds me a bit of the Charlie Curnow & Patrick Cripps pick ,

Just as a side note, I would love to see the unedited vision of the Richmond recruiting room for the entire duration of the first night of the draft.

It will never be released, but would be interesting to see the discussions that took place in your room throughout the night.
You are correct the entire version wont ever be released but the people who were at the pre draft night were informed on the group of players we would be looking at and expected to be around our picks.

We were pleasantly surprised with RCD & Turner , as well as rushing to get Stack to the club once the drafts were finished

Not sure how #20 for RCD is a risk considering most had im in the top 15 picks prior to the draft

RCD reminds me a bit of the Charlie Curnow & Patrick Cripps pick ,

High risk is probably the wrong phrase.

More making a point about taking the guy with a higher ceiling but has greater deficiencies in his game based on TAC cup form.

E.g. RCD could be the next Fyfe, but needs to improve his running and production.

More making a point about taking the guy with a higher ceiling but has greater deficiencies in his game based on TAC cup form.

E.g. RCD could be the next Fyfe, but needs to improve his running and production.

Mind telling us what they are ?? Apart from his tank he has great speed agility and able to win his own ball
Can play foward & Midfield and is 193cm and 91 kgs

What you believe his deficiencies are compared to say Stocker or even better Cripps as a 18 year old draftee

We would never be that minnow to allow the afl to expise us like you blokes did :p

Mind telling us what they are ?? Apart from his tank he has great speed agility and able to win his own ball
Can play foward & Midfield and is 193cm and 91 kgs

What you believe his deficiencies are compared to say Stocker or even better Cripps as a 18 year old draftee

Come on Gun. He's been fair in his assessment.

I follow your logic.

Fair post, and kudos for having the plumbs to make that trade.

Doch is a savage blow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True. But taking more risky picks is also more likely to lead to busts. If you don't have those rock solid high quality leaders (Cotchin) you won't win a premiership. And taking risks can easily lead to a patchy and flat squad.

I think first rounders need to be high reward and low risk. Comparatively RCD is fairly low risk (obviously can play decent quality AFL football, but to what level of productivity - potential is A+ grade) and potentially high reward (but what chance and how much development?). Compared to Stocker (because, why not?); Stocker is lower risk (he is almost certain to be a good AFL player) but possibly lower return (most draft watchers see his ceiling as being B+/A). Ignoring Carlton's view on Stocker, we took a small risk taking RCD compared to drafting Stocker (I know we couldn't cause the Blues). But knowing that we had a potential A+ grader who looks like having a minimum of good AFL player. So we balanced risk and reward, with the aim of improving our list. Hoping to make it a contender for many years.

I personally dont see any risk with RCD

The boy can read and play the game and knows how to dispose of the ball in heavy traffic and burst out of the midfield congestion with the ball
Has the height, Weight ,Agility & Speed

The only question mark is his tank and that is something that can be built up in 2-3 pre season , If Richmond had #12 i would still have wanted us to select RCD over any other player that was drafted after #12

The boy can read and play the game and knows how to dispose of the ball in heavy traffic and burst out of the midfield congestion with the ball

The only question mark is his tank and that is something that can be built up in 2-3 pre season , If Richmond had #12 i would still have wanted us to select RCD over any other player that was drafted after #12
That's a big wrap!

of course there is risk.

If he cant develop a tank he won't make it as a midfielder. His running is in the bottom 20%, so he has a lot of work to do.

Also he doesn't get much of the ball in transition either , it can be fixed but this also needs alot of work.

No player is without risk

of course there is risk.

If he cant develop a tank he won't make it as a midfielder. His running is in the bottom 20%, so he has a lot of work to do.

Also he doesn't get much of the ball in transition either , it can be fixed but this also needs alot of work.

No player is without risk
Both the issue's you mention can be fixed with 2-3 preseasons and coaching

P.Cripps had similar issue's prior to being drafted and with the coaches and fitness staff we currently have on the list i have no doubt
As i mentioned before the kid can play he reads the play well and knows how to extract the ball using his big frame
Fyfe was not a midfielder in his draft year but had alot of similar traits to RCD

This kid will be special

Both the issue's you mention can be fixed with 2-3 preseasons and coaching

P.Cripps had similar issue's prior to being drafted and with the coaches and fitness staff we currently have on the list i have no doubt
As i mentioned before the kid can play he reads the play well and knows how to extract the ball using his big frame
Fyfe was not a midfielder in his draft year but had alot of similar traits to RCD

This kid will be special
TETT!
To Early To Tell

Not knocking RCD here, I love what he brings to the club, and he is exactly what we need.

All I am saying is that he has some work to do and therefore cannot be considered without risk

Everyone knows he's raw. Our bet is that in our system he can thrive and has tremendous upside if he can crack it. At the right club that will give him the best chance in doing it IMO.

I've gone back and watched the highlight videos again. He is the most exciting to me. It's the combo that he find gaps in defenders' positioning and bursts through them - few can do that, and that his disposals are accurate and to advantage, whilst also gaining maximum meterage. It's that consistent ability to shred the game open that is elite.

He obviously has a huge amount of work to do to be a good AFL player. But he starts with capabilities that very few players do have. If he can just be average AFL for endurance/repeat sprints and outside link up, he'll still be A grade because of what else he brings to the table. If he keeps growing, adds muscle and gets to really good endurance etc he'll be a genuine star.

The other guys look good, but I don't see that added dimension that RCD has. Looks like a real steal. Hope he works his butt off to get there, because I reckon that's the key thing he needs - development.

It won't happen for a simple reason. There were only a few teams that were set up with cameras. Richmond wasn't one of them. We were told this prior to the draft at our predraft analysis at the club.

the beauty of the position we are in at the moment, is we can draft somebody like Riley with a view to develop him over the next few seasons. it's not like the bad old days when all top draftee's pretty much played the 1st season. players such as Tambling could have developed if we didn't need him to come straight into the team and have immediate influence, putting too much pressure on him. we can now give them a few games in the first couple of season, let them work on deficiencies and mature their bodies. look how we have handled, bolton. played a handful of games the 1st 2 seasons and allowed him to work on his fitness and strength and now in his 3rd year should be close to be ready to go.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back