Universal Love 'Destiny' by Norman Ashton: How Port Adelaide put itself on the national stage

Remove this Banner Ad

SgtSchulz

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 24, 2014
Bob McLean Sportsbar
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Mark Webber
A ripper book recently published by Wakefield Press. Offers new insights into the clubs endeavours, and roadblocks, in its entry into what ultimately became the AFL.

Justice Olsens whole injunction reasoning is in the book, something I have never been able to get my hands on before.

10/10 would recommend.

Available at the Port Store and probably somewhere else too.

47316573_220910595475547_1814270747917418496_n.jpg

Ah good its out. I have been waiting for this for 12 months.

Dr Norman Ashton also wrote a book about Fremantle Football - 1885 to 1904, about football in the Fremanle area that covers the first Fremantle FC the 2 current WAFL teams and other clubs. See
http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2016-04-01/new-book-examines-the-origins-of-football-in-fremantle

Ashton is an academic from Adelaide Uni was pro Vice Chancellor and is a history and classics professor, but was born in Fremantle taught at University of WA for many years and moved to SA about 20 years ago.

I talked to John Firth - Port's long term legal counsel for over 35 years and Maggies president in 2010 (and drove the 2010 merger ) about this back in mid November last year, at my sister's birthday as his wife and my sister are best friends.

He said he had just finished proof reading it and checked all the legals and was expecting it to be released for Christmas last year. I asked him about it at the preseason launch in March but he didn't know why it wasn't released and when it would be.

He was pretty sure that there wasn't any legal reason why it was held up. He recommend it and said Ashton had done a very good job.

Last edited:
Ah good its out. I have been waiting for this for 12 months.

Dr Norman Ashton also wrote a book about Fremantle Football - 1885 to 1904, about football in the Fremanle area that covers the first Fremantle FC the 2 current WAFL teams and other clubs. See
http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2016-04-01/new-book-examines-the-origins-of-football-in-fremantle

Ashton is an academic from Adelaide Uni was pro Vice Chancellor and is a history and classics professor, but was born in Fremantle taught at University of WA for many years and moved to SA about 20 years ago.

I talked to John Firth - Port's long term legal council for over 35 years and Maggies president in 2010 (and drove the 2010 merger ) about this back in mid November last year, at my sister's birthday as his wife and my sister are best friends.

He said he had just finished proof reading it and checked all the legals and was expecting it to be released for Christmas last year. I asked him about it at the preseason launch in March but he didn't know why it wasn't released and when it would be.

He was pretty sure that there wasn't any legal reason why it was held up. He recommend it and said Ashton had done a very good job.
Interesting that over 60 people were interviewed to varying degrees for the book and the only mention of someone turning down an interview for the book coincidentally has a stand at Adelaide Oval named after themselves.

Interesting that over 60 people were interviewed to varying degrees for the book and the only mention of someone turning down an interview for the book coincidentally has a stand at Adelaide Oval named after themselves.
Ah yeah, John told me about that and we talked about Max's history and legal issues with Port.

Wakefield Press' synopsis

https://www.wakefieldpress.com.au/product.php?productid=1478&cat=0&page=&featured=Y
'If Port Adelaide does not receive the nod from the powers-that-be then it will rank as one of the greatest injustices in football history,' Tony Greenberg wrote in Inside Football in 1994, as a handful of SANFL teams competed for the state's second AFL licence.

Port Adelaide's bold initial bid to join the national competition in 1991 had been thwarted by the SANFL, which put up a composite state team - what would become the Adelaide Crows - instead ... But Port's gutsy move was what finally propelled South Australia into the national football arena.

This fascinating book tracks Port's tumultuous, often controversial journey to the AFL: from 1981, when Victoria's VFL began to evolve into a national competition, to 1994, when Port Adelaide finally won its licence, beating out the teams who'd become bitter rivals along the way.

Norman Ashton digs deep into the archives of the time, from newspaper reports, legal proceedings and club records, to interviews with the major players in the struggle for AFL victory. The result is a behind-the-scenes record of Port Adelaide's path to glory that will fire the passions of every fan all over again.
https://www.wakefieldpress.com.au/product.php?productid=1478&cat=0&page=&featured=Y

Wakefield Press' synopsis

'If Port Adelaide does not receive the nod from the powers-that-be then it will rank as one of the greatest injustices in football history,' Tony Greenberg wrote in Inside Football in 1994, as a handful of SANFL teams competed for the state's second AFL licence.

Port Adelaide's bold initial bid to join the national competition in 1991 had been thwarted by the SANFL, which put up a composite state team - what would become the Adelaide Crows - instead ... But Port's gutsy move was what finally propelled South Australia into the national football arena.

This fascinating book tracks Port's tumultuous, often controversial journey to the AFL: from 1981, when Victoria's VFL began to evolve into a national competition, to 1994, when Port Adelaide finally won its licence, beating out the teams who'd become bitter rivals along the way.

Norman Ashton digs deep into the archives of the time, from newspaper reports, legal proceedings and club records, to interviews with the major players in the struggle for AFL victory. The result is a behind-the-scenes record of Port Adelaide's path to glory that will fire the passions of every fan all over again.
Price: AU$34.95 including GST .. I am going to get that ... should be a good read.

Is it on the website? can't seem to find it. Have found it other places would rather buy from club

Sent from my 0PJA10 using Tapatalk

Is it on the website? can't seem to find it. Have found it other places would rather buy from club

Sent from my 0PJA10 using Tapatalk

It is available from the publisher’s website. Look up Wakefield Press. Their website is like a trip back in time. Seems strangely fitting here ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the heads up. Just got a copy from Wakefield press in mile end. Another Xmas pressie sorted :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently that person has a book coming out but it won't be released until after he leaves this earth... Stuff in there he doesn't want to be around for when it is revealed...

Apparently that person has a book coming out but it won't be released until after he leaves this earth... Stuff in there he doesn't want to be around for when it is revealed...
Will anyone care in all honesty?

Going to be hard to promote a book when you're dead.

Reeks of someone with an inflated sense of self importance.

Will anyone care in all honesty?

Going to be hard to promote a book when you're dead.

Reeks of someone with an inflated sense of self importance.

The circulation will be one per nursing home at best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More like wanting to avoid the legal ramifications.
Bingo! And it will get great interest in the media because it will be controversial. It won't sell and make big $$$ but that isn't Max's point. Its about a legacy - ego driven - but it's always about legacy for people who do this.

Bingo! And it will get great interest in the media because it will be controversial. It won't sell and make big $$$ but that isn't Max's point. Its about a legacy - ego driven - but it's always about legacy for people who do this.
More like petty bitterness.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I'd personally like Basheer to be alive for that stand's name to be changed to something more suitable. I'd take the Tony Modra stand over that piece of garbage.
Does Port acknowledge the name? The club should baptize it differently for its games. Port Adelaide Oval should have its own stands' names.

Last edited:
Does Port acknowledge the name? The club should baptize it differently for its games. Port Adelaide Oval should have its own stands' names.

There is certainly a precedent for it in the AFL with Essendon renaming the Coventry End the Lloyd End at the now Marvel Stadium, but it would be such an enormous FU to the SANFL and SMA, who we still have to negotiate with, and certainly it doesn't fit in with Koch's mantra of "making our community proud", even though it would actually make our community proud in real life.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back